PDA

View Full Version : Foals 2011

justdoit
09-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Anyone have foals due this month?

triplev123
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Yep, an American Ideal and a Sutter Hanover, both mares served on the same day, both due on the same day, probably won't happen however. Should be on the deck in about 2-3 weeks time.

mightymo
09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
quite a few, but no signs of any action yet

justdoit
09-02-2011, 06:00 AM
We sold the one mare that was due in September.

MightyMo,
Do you own Three Eagles NZ? If yes who is this years foals sire and who is she breeding to?

mango
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Justdoit

I just took a look at Three Eagles and she is due to foal a full brother or sister to Fly Like An Eagle.

Toohard
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
A Bettors Delight due on 13th. Lots of movement going on.

Love Of Courage
09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Anyone have foals due this month?

I have only 1 mare in foal this season, and she is due in 3 - 4 weeks. Hoping for a Somebeachsomewhere colt this year, as the mares last 3 foals were fillies.

Regards,

LOC

mightymo
09-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Awaiting a full sibling to Fly Like an Eagle. As for her next consort, still tossing up between going to Mach Three again, or Rocknroll Heaven

We sold the one mare that was due in September.

MightyMo,
Do you own Three Eagles NZ? If yes who is this years foals sire and who is she breeding to?

justdoit
09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Somebeachsomewhere, watch this race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bMpnDsbDDA

For Three Eagles?

triplev123
09-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm fascinated by the sheer girth of some soon to foals mares. The two mares due this month are fairly big I guess, nothing out of the ordinary though but then there's another that's due in mid November & she's absolutely HUGE now...looks like a block of flats.

justdoit
09-03-2011, 06:39 PM
We have a maiden mare due in a months time, she has become as fat as mud. Despite trying our best to stop her gaining more weight(fat) she has become massive.
She was bred with in weeks of coming off the track and to look at her now you would never imagine that she could run?:)

mightymo
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
At last my first foal has arrived.

A mach three colt from falcons guest which makes him a full brother to Fiery falcon.

Apparently, a very nice good sized foal too.

I can only dream that they will all be like this!:):)

mango
09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Mightmo

Congrat's and if you get some pics later on post them so we can have a look.

triplev123
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrats Mightymo. That's a really good result. You must be thrilled.
Just did the feet of and yarded two mares that are due in the next week or so and they both look like they'll go on or close to time too. One's a pain in the arse, the other's pretty much user friendly but you never know how they'll react when push comes to PUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSH. Haven't foaled down either of them before so it'll be a learning experience for all concerned.

triplev123
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Congrats Mightymo. That's a really good result. You must be thrilled.
Just did the feet of and yarded two mares that are due in the next week or so and they both look like they'll go on or close to time too. One's a pain in the arse, the other's pretty much user friendly but you never know how they'll react when push comes to PUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSH. Haven't foaled down either of them before so it'll be a learning experience for all concerned.

That's be right. Pain in the arse mare bagging up & waxing up first. Not long now.

Toohard
09-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Good luck Triple!!

My mare all ready to go but about 24 hours away I reckon. Son's school concert on tomorrow night and me horse in at Melton (R4 N6) and have to go support him as he lead singer in school band. Tipping he wins and I miss it and mare has foal and I miss that too.

Nuffin compared to what justdoit been copping..

Toohard
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Congrats mightymo!!

Re

Apparently, a very nice good sized foal too.

I can only dream that
they will all be like this!:):)

Its a lot of dreams to fit into something so small.

mango
09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Hey Toohard

Seen the pic's of Mightymo's foal and it is a cracker, when it strengthens up it is going to be a real good size foal.

triplev123
09-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Pain in the arse mare waxed up & bagged up, walked the fences most of the night, I thought for sure she would flop down and get on with it...but she did sweet FA. Passed out for an hour or so, ducked out for a hose about 2am, other mare had flopped down and stretched out flat out on the ground...I stood quietly and waited...she started making odd noises...I wandered over with a hopeful heart and armed with a torch to investigate...she was gone for all money and snoring like a truckdriver that had been smashing down Red since lunchtime yesterday. No foal anywhere near making a debut. :(
Home at 6am empty handed. Batton now passed to Brother for tonight's watch. Fair chance that I'll make a rapid and unexplained exit from work at some point this evening.:rolleyes:

justdoit
09-16-2011, 01:28 PM
TripleV123, do you use any type of foaling alarm on your mares?

triplev123
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
For sure, always...but I'm one of those paranoid foal watch people with a significant distrust of technology who doze off for a half hour or an hour, wake up with a start & get up & go out with my trust torch to have a look anyway. Ours is a Magic Breed Alarm. It works of course. Never given me any reason to think otherwise. I just can't help myself, mostly because if something happened and I could have fixed it but wasn't there I would never forgive myself. Hopeless, I know.

justdoit
09-17-2011, 11:36 AM
We have the same foaling alarm and its by far the best on the market. IMO
Though you can't go past a good set of eyes.

triplev123
09-17-2011, 02:40 PM
My brother did foal watch last night...I finished work about 3:30 am and drove out there, woke the poor bastard up to ask where the torch was and went for an exploratory wander. You know what's going to happen? Despite all this attention...I reckon she'll wait until I go in and make a cup of coffee and grab a biscuit or two and while I'm away she'll foal standing up so the alarm doesn't go off. That's the sort of pain in the arse she is. :p

Flashing Red
09-17-2011, 10:00 PM
How do those broodmare alarms work? How much do they cost?

I have heard of maiden mares foaling while standing up, but never had/seen one do it myself...

Greg Hando
09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
I have never seen a mare foal standing up and i've never heard of it and i've seen hundred's you learn something new everyday
A friend had a foal alarm and every time the mare lay down it went off so he threw it in the dam.
I have never had the need to use an alarm myself as i know 9 times out of 10 when they'll foal as we lock the mares in a little paddock next to the house
and when anybody get's up during the night just flick on the light's and have a look
A good tip is when they start to foal if nothing has happened in 1/2 hour their is something wrong
so best of luck to everyone with foal's coming this year i hope no-one has any real problem's.

mango
09-18-2011, 12:03 AM
I've seen a mare foal whilst standing up and the previous owner did tell my mate when he borrowed her that she did and we laughed but true to his word she did.

Flashing Red
09-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Does the foal thud to the ground like a giraffe - I've seen those things "foal" or whatever the term is. Poor thing hit the ground (mum is a LONG way up!) with a terrible sounding thud!!

mango
09-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi Flashing

Yes it did thud to the ground but thankfully it didn't have the big drop like a giraffe does and from there on thing's were normal.

triplev123
09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Irish Town foaled Gracie Wilkes whilst she was standing up. John Gibson wrapped her up in his arms as she made her debut & last season my brother caught a Four Starzzz Shark filly who's dam decided to the business whilst upright. You must have all the well mannered mares out there Greg.

triplev123
09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Here's a bit of trivia. A Vet mate of mine told me this. The long drop to the deck that Giraffes have actually serves to wake the baby up/clear its lungs and get its heart beating properly. How about them apples eh?

triplev123
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
PS. The old bag is still hangin' on. Hopefully today...tonight.

triplev123
09-21-2011, 02:45 AM
...and Sunday night it was.
An American Ideal colt. Delivered him too so I'm already a bit more attached to him than most of the others.
Tall, long bodied, well conformed front and back, long legs, he's a really classy foal. Dark brown, has a head like his sire including a big star. His stable name is 'Justin' after Justin Bieber.
First time for the mare to a Western Hanover / Western Ideal line sire. Am VERY pleased. My brother is very happy too. He has always had a great deal of faith in this colt's sire (below) and he stuck to his guns to serve this mare. Couldn't have asked for a better result.
http://www.nyahharness.com.au/attachments/Image/American_Ideal_1.jpg

justdoit
09-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Congratulations to you TripleV123 and family.
Great result.

Don Corleone
09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Well done to you all. Good stuff.

Flashing Red
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Woohoo! :)

Don't think any of ours are due until November :'( 1 Art Major, 1 American Ideal, 1 Sir Galvinator (had 1 to Flashing Red but the mare died of colic a couple of months ago).

triplev123
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
G'day Troops & thanks to you all.
Now it's a few days down the track and I've been able to compose myself enough so...I got the fright of my life, my blood rang cold, when I went around to her back end and all that I saw was 1 leg sticking out up to the knee...and nothing else.
I got down on the ground and put my arm in up to the elbow, waited for the contraction to stop and pushed the foal back just a little piece, fished around a bit & located what I thought was the offside front (thankfully it was) so then I flipped it forward from the knee then from the fetlock & it went into line with the nearside front then I got the head back into the right position & it appeared as expected. Our friend Anne cleared the foal's nose/face of the bag etc. & with the next contraction I pulled down towards the mare's heels...& bugger me, out he came. It all happened so fast, it was over in a matter of minutes, I was on auto-pilot & did what I thought had to be done at the time, thankfully it was the right thing. It wasn't until about 6 or 7 hrs later when all was fine and dandy and I was driving back home that it really dawned on me as to how close we had come to a real mess...and that's when the wheels fell off.
You see, last year our mares knocked them all out like a Gum Ball machine dispenses chewing gum and it's easy to get to thinking all's rosey & it will always be so. This year, a nice old reality check, 1st cab off the rank was all my nightmares in one go. Everything I had dreaded was there. Leg back, head coming 3/4's on etc. I was very proud that I was able to fix it but it wasn't an experience that I'd like to repeat any time soon, if ever. That being said, having faced it and got it squared away, I'm a more confident foal watcher than I was Sunday night at about 10:59, a minute or so before the foaling alarm went off. You've got to be there when they foal, I can't understand anyone letting them foal alone by choice. We've had mares go early & totally unexpectedly/without any warning, I'm sure everyone has, it happens despite the best planning...but being there's a must if you possibly can. We'd have lost the mare & her foal for sure & it would have been for something that was, perhaps not easily but at least able to be corrected relatively quickly. Instead, we've got a lovely foal and a healthy mare and that makes all of the hopeful wandering around in the dark with a torch worth while.

justdoit
09-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Awesome work TripleV123,
This time of year really scares me, any unassisted foalings should not happen and anyone that has a foal born in this way are just lucky if it goes well.

Flashing Red
09-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Don't get me started on unassisted foalings.... some people do not seem to place the same importance on it as me.

Flashing Red
09-22-2011, 12:58 AM
G'day Troops & thanks to you all.
Now it's a few days down the track and I've been able to compose myself enough so...I got the fright of my life, my blood rang cold, when I went around to her back end and all that I saw was 1 leg sticking out up to the knee...and nothing else.
I got down on the ground and put my arm in up to the elbow, waited for the contraction to stop and pushed the foal back just a little piece, fished around a bit & located what I thought was the offside front (thankfully it was) so then I flipped it forward from the knee then from the fetlock & it went into line with the nearside front then I got the head back into the right position & it appeared as expected. Our friend Anne cleared the foal's nose/face of the bag etc. & with the next contraction I pulled down towards the mare's heels...& bugger me, out he came. It all happened so fast, it was over in a matter of minutes, I was on auto-pilot & did what I thought had to be done at the time, thankfully it was the right thing. It wasn't until about 6 or 7 hrs later when all was fine and dandy and I was driving back home that it really dawned on me as to how close we had come to a real mess...and that's when the wheels fell off.
You see, last year our mares knocked them all out like a Gum Ball machine dispenses chewing gum and it's easy to get to thinking all's rosey & it will always be so. This year, a nice old reality check, 1st cab off the rank was all my nightmares in one go. Everything I had dreaded was there. Leg back, head coming 3/4's on etc. I was very proud that I was able to fix it but it wasn't an experience that I'd like to repeat any time soon, if ever. That being said, having faced it and got it squared away, I'm a more confident foal watcher than I was Sunday night at about 10:59, a minute or so before the foaling alarm went off. You've got to be there when they foal, I can't understand anyone letting them foal alone by choice. We've had mares go early & totally unexpectedly/without any warning, I'm sure everyone has, it happens despite the best planning...but being there's a must if you possibly can. We'd have lost the mare & her foal for sure & it would have been for something that was, perhaps not easily but at least able to be corrected relatively quickly. Instead, we've got a lovely foal and a healthy mare and that makes all of the hopeful wandering around in the dark with a torch worth while.

And well done, give yourself a pat on the back :) I could never do something like that (don't know enough about foaling myself).

triplev123
09-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Nah, I'm sure you could do it Flashing, anyone could if they were faced with that same situation. You just take a breath and do what you have to do at the time & worry about what might have happened later. That's the first time I've ever had to actively assist a mare in any meaningful way. Never has to go reaching around before. I just tried to visualise what the situation might look like inside there and then did it. Btw, the foal's a bellringer. I'll post some photos when they come through.

Toohard
09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for? She been on pretty good diet (Hygain Grotorque) for a while but appears something lacking? Or she just bored? Paddock resown last year. Not heaps of grass but enough. Mobile reception in our area is crap. Rang local feed store and told them what happening and just before phone cut out they said "Give her a lick". Tried that but no good. Although she did follow me around with a big smile on her face afterwards!! (Yeh, yeh I know... leave the comedy to Triple). She seems 100% fine, eating up, etc but she looking for something?

eliteblood
09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for?

If she wasn't 11 months pregnant I would have said that she is looking for a root :)

triplev123
09-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Looking for a root? In that case, better give her BPH's phone number. ;)

triplev123
09-22-2011, 10:00 PM
My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for? She been on pretty good diet (Hygain Grotorque) for a while but appears something lacking? Or she just bored? Paddock resown last year. Not heaps of grass but enough. Mobile reception in our area is crap. Rang local feed store and told them what happening and just before phone cut out they said "Give her a lick". Tried that but no good. Although she did follow me around with a big smile on her face afterwards!! (Yeh, yeh I know... leave the comedy to Triple). She seems 100% fine, eating up, etc but she looking for something?

[VVV] G'day Paul. I think she's just bored. Late in their pregancy they get crabby and bored just like women do. Now and again I've seen our mares, yearlings & foals eat dirt & clay & such from time to time and while not in response to that but we have given them mineral blocks, some of which are too soft and they tend to demolish those quickly and others which will stick around a bit longer. One of their most favoured was a big block of Rock Salt (the more iron oxide (red) in them the better). As I said though, odds on she's had enough and wants the little bugger out asap.

Toohard
09-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks Triple (and also eliteblood!!). I put one of them block things in and she's been throwing it at side of house. Much like I do when no mashed potatoes in evening meal ! Are you related to Nathan Varcoe ? If so he's one of the most helpful (and more important, courteous) people I've ever spoken to.

Come on Mona throw it out tonight! Am sick of those Genie Bra ads!!

triplev123
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes indeed. I'm proud to claim him as my brother and I'm also relieved to note that he is on foal watch tonight instead of me. ;) We're waiting for a foal that's coming from a mare that looks like she's about to explode she is so big and so over it. I am expecting a call any tick of the clock.

Greg Hando
09-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Paul give her a calcium molasses block should do the trick

triplev123
09-23-2011, 12:23 AM

[VVV] Ok Greg, I'll bite. Why that specifically? Have you had success using them in the past? Always willing to give pretty much anything a shot.

triplev123
09-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Btw both our mares and yearlings absolutely chew the Hell out of the bark of some of the trees in their paddocks but not others. We've ended up wrapping the ones they aim up on in 1cm square mesh to stop them though there's one where they've managed to shift the mesh and have another go. I'm pretty certain that's a boredome thing too.

Greg Hando
09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Because they are lacking something in their diet and a calcium molasses block usually will fix it they don't chew trees for nothing either that or theyre hungry .Make sure it's not the one with Urea in it
Details

A MULTI-MINERAL LICK BLOCK FOR ALL LIVESTOCK

When to Use Olssons Calcium Molasses:
When designing supplements for ruminants, the primary objective is feeding the microorganisms in the rumen.

The bacteria in the rumen require an array of minerals and elements to process feed.

Nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur are some of the major elements required for the synthesis of amino acids and protein.

There is a concentration of these elements at which rumen microbes function optimally, so each of these elements must be in balance.

The effect of balancing these essential elements is an efficient breakdown of dry and fibrous feeds, such as dry pastures and stubble.

When this ratio is correct, the protein derived from the bacteria in the rumen results in more digestion of the food eaten by the animal and more protein for the animal to digest.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Salt (NaCl) Max. 54.4%
Min. 53.0%
Calcium (Ca) Min. 13.7%
Phosphorus (P) Min. 0.6%
Magnesium (Mg) Min. 200mg/kg
Iron (Fe+++) Min. 975mg/kg
Sulphur (S) Min. 250mg/kg
Molasses 6.0%

Application:
A multi-mineral lick block for all livestock

Net Weights:
20kg

Feeding Instructions:
Remove outer carton and plastic cover and place near water troughs, dams and stock camps. Place out sufficient blocks to avoid overcrowding of stock. Initially, the consumption rate will be higher than average, but higher rates of consumption will drop after an initial "gorging" period. Replace immediately when consumed.

Consumption Guide:
The following rates will increase or decrease according to varying pasture conditions.
Cattle 100 - 150 g/head/day
Sheep 20 - 50 g/head/day

mightymo
09-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Foal No 2 has landed. An Art Major filly from Montana Melody which makes her a 3/4 sister to For A Reason(actually a 7/8ths sister!)

Toohard
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks Greg (and Mr Bartos)

Tried the block thing and seems to have done trick. Now 12 days over and she going to string me along for as long as possible I reckon.

Foal No 2 has landed. An Art Major filly from Montana Melody which makes her a
3/4 sister to For A Reason(actually a 7/8ths
sister!)

Congrats mightymo!!

Greg Hando
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
No worries Paul

eliteblood
09-30-2011, 11:17 PM
My 2nd foal for the year is a SBSW filly from Localize. It is the first foal for Localize, a Christian Cullen daughter of Sabilize.
I haven't had any success loading pics so I hope you can see her below

Flashing Red
09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
What a stunner, such a beautiful filly! Congrats :)

Bonnie
10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Three healthy foals so far. A SBSW colt out of Laugh Out Loud . This was a big foal resulting in a difficult vet assisted birth . I would like to breed another mare to SBSW , does he leave big foals ? A Grinfromeartoear colt from Makin Faces and a stunning American Ideal filly from Left A Dream.

triplev123
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
On the deck, absolutely cracking colt by American Ideal (Justin), the 5th & the nicest foal the mare's ever had...sharp, snappy and upbeat type, always moving, great on his feet, balanced...then 8 days later a HUGE colt by Sutter Hanover (Ned). Yardstick wise, Ned's rump is up level with my hip. Very tall, long legs, long body, the biggest foal I've ever seen, the biggest foal all of our Vets have ever seen but not heavy boned/built. Met a mate whilst at another mate's wedding over the weekend & he mentioned another Sutter foal that he'd seen up at Brooklyn Lodge was also a very big boy. Horse must leave a lot of them with real size to them. Two to go foaling wise, both American Ideals.

triplev123
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Three healthy foals so far. A SBSW colt out of Laugh Out Loud . This was a big foal resulting in a difficult vet assisted birth . I would like to breed another mare to SBSW , does he leave big foals ? A Grinfromeartoear colt from Makin Faces and a stunning American Ideal filly from Left A Dream.

[VVV] G'day Anne. Can't say if he leaves big foals but from the yearlings that I've seen on the US Sales websites...many of them seem to be pretty powerfully built through their shoulders and their rear ends. I think that thickness is coming from Beach Towel. Many of them have Roman noses too...the horse is a little that way...but I reckon you can see Mach Three in them too, I think it's their colour? Anyway, if you have a look at both the Lexington & Harrisburg sites there's quite a bit of video of his yearlings available.
My pick so far is a Brittany Farm bred SBSW colt named Yucatan. He is Hip 100 at Lexington.
From a very good Western Ideal race mare Platinum Hanover who is in turn from the smart filly Panned Out, a full sister to the wicked fast On The Attack.

triplev123
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
My boy made $100,000 to Tony Alagna as agent.

Toohard
10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
At last! 1 year and about 6 hours after last service at 2am this morning out she popped. 2 years in the waiting. By Bettors. All good so far but some decent storms heading our way at the moment so its going to have an 'interesting' initiation.

No name yet. Wanted to wait to see if her half brother could win his M0 tonight and then would have to have been called "EMMO". But they called them off (due to the coming storms I think).

My young 3yo daughters name suggestion = PANCAKE (my daughter definitely threw to her Mum!!). Pic attached when about 5 hours old this morning. Full of beans and running Mum round in circles!

We all very excited (me exhausted) and over the moon!

Cheers

Flashing Red
10-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Congrats! :)

Love Of Courage
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM
At last! 1 year and about 6 hours after last service at 2am this morning out she popped. 2 years in the waiting. By Bettors. All good so far but some decent storms heading our way at the moment so its going to have an 'interesting' initiation.

No name yet. Wanted to wait to see if her half brother could win his M0 tonight and then would have to have been called "EMMO". But they called them off (due to the coming storms I think).

My young 3yo daughters name suggestion = PANCAKE (my daughter definitely threw to her Mum!!). Pic attached when about 5 hours old this morning. Full of beans and running Mum round in circles!

We all very excited (me exhausted) and over the moon!

Cheers

Nice one Paul !

I "Bet" you were "Delighted" with your filly.:rolleyes::o:o:rolleyes:

Palais Better Half ???

Regards,

Sue

triplev123
10-08-2011, 05:45 AM
CONGRATS Paul. That's a great result.

Toohard
10-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks Tahn, Sue and Triple

Got her checked out today and all OK. Thought all OK but being a 'relative novice' thought best to get someone have a look. All good!! My 3yo daughter very keen to have a pat. Got her to walk into paddock when they being checked and she made "Contact" with foal. Sorry no pic but should have seen her face light up (both foal and me daughter!!). THE BEST!! Makes it all very, very worthwhile.

Have had no other suggestions so looks like PANCAKE be foals name.

"Palais Better Half" a great name suggestion Sue! We have half the ride (up and downs) we had with him and she half as brave as him then we be real, real happy!

Cheers

mightymo
10-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Thats awesome Paul. Its great that your daughter can have such a wonderful connection from such a young age

mightymo
10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
The newest addition arrived early this morning - a full brother to Fly Like an Eagle. All doing well and "dad" is doing cartwheels!!:):)

triplev123
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
There's a result. Congrats mate.

Flashing Red
10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Congrats Mightymo! We're still waiting for our first foal of the season.... hopefully soon! :)

triplev123
10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
We've got 1 & a 1/2 to come but only 1 that we have to do foal watch with.
She's the size of a house, has always been the front runner girth wise, and she'll be the last to foal by probably 4-5 weeks. I think she's going to leave a Box Trailer or a Chest Freezer.

teecee
10-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Congratulations on your arrival and more importantly your successful negotiating the foaling process. I get the impression that your mare did not foal at a stud. Is this the norm in Australia. After working professionally as night foal watch at Nevele R stud for several years what you have experienced with your mare and foal is quite common and also far from a worse case scenario. Hope you never have to deal with an inverted delivery or breach delivery. Can't myself fathom out how people can just go to bed knowing that they have a mare due to foal and hope that all will be well in the morning.
Mind you foal alarms aren't much use when any one of 50 mares may be waiting to foal at any moment. and 400 - 500 per season 3-4 months..
And some do pick the worse moment...Like the middle of a thunder or snow storm.
Anyway alls well that ends well and it is a sight to behold isn't it??

triplev123
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
They sure do pick bad times.
That foal to the left there, the one in my avatar thingo, arrived in the middle of a bushfire.

eliteblood
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Here is a pic of my Sportswriter - Sabilize colt born a couple of days ago.

Greg Hando
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Nice leggy little fulla will look good when he put's on a bit of weight and loses his foal hair

eliteblood
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice leggy little fulla will look good when he put's on a bit of weight and loses his foal hair

Yes Greg, he is a bit skinny but he looks to me like he will grow into a pretty good looking colt.
I really like this filly, by SBSW from Localize

triplev123
10-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Congrats Trevor. Particularly like your SBSW filly. Very snazzy.

Big Max
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Gotta love baby time!!!

Flashing Red
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Congrats Trevor, both look really nice but that filly is outstanding :)

Toohard
10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Pic for mango...

Toohard
10-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Another pic...

mango
10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Hi Paul

Great pic's of you daughter and "PANCAKE" it's great to see the filly is real quiet and and allowing your daughter so close which would be a real buzz for her. I take it you don't own the filly now as your daughter does but you still have to pay the bill's lmao.

Toohard
10-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep you are right! I don't own any of them anymore!

Daughter thrown to her Mum for sure i.e. complain about the outgoings, spend the incomings!

Daughter been sitting on feed bucket with me every night, every morning for 6 weeks before "Pancake" arrived. Talking to her while mum eating her tucker. She knew her before she born so guess only natural they 'clicked'. Her Mum very considerate when daughter about. It's the very, very best.

Cheers

Flashing Red
10-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Awww so cute! :) Our first mare due is now officially one week late :/

Big Max
10-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Our lovely mare Santuzza (which was one of the quickest horses we've ever had,but unfortunately people never saw the best of)just dropped (finally) a big strong American Ideal colt.So pleased that we finally have a colt, we have so many breeders that i thought that colts were just a distant memory......LOL

triplev123
10-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Excellent news. Congrats mate. Great result.

mango
10-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Our lovely mare Santuzza (which was one of the quickest horses we've ever had,but unfortunately people never saw the best of)just dropped (finally) a big strong American Ideal colt.So pleased that we finally have a colt, we have so many breeders that i thought that colts were just a distant memory......LOL

Congrats on the colt and would love to see some photo's if your able to put them on here.

Big Max
10-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys,here's a couple of photo's of him (2 days old)8586

triplev123
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
She's done you guys proud there mate. Nice one.

Love Of Courage
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM

Is this the mare that had a partial bowel blockage caused by a plastic onion type bag ?

Regards,

Sue

Big Max
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Sue

Yes that's her,she has really had everything against her,she was very close to dying when they finally discovered that she had swallowed some orange onion type bag.I distinctly remember watching her and Armida work together about a week and a half before she had that problem and she absolutely left Armida standing in one of there work sessions,she would regularly run sub 28 quarters around Redcliffe and as you know around there that is flying.....really lovely mare!

How are your little darlings going??

triplev123
10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Some of them will eat anything mate. I can remember Wayne McClelland telling me a story years & years ago that...I think it was, I'm pretty sure it was Peter Tritton?...got a horse in his stable that just wasn't feeling/looking so crash hot. Eventually they must have given up on treating it and opened it up because somehow they found out it swallowed either a towel or a length of lead rope or something like that. The offending item was removed from its gut (and as I recall it recovered pretty well) but from what they could gather it had been in there for quite some time. Now that I think of it...it might even have been an Aussie or Kiwi horse that ended up over in the US?

Don Corleone
10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Well Done Big Max. Neat photos. All the best in the future.

Flashing Red
10-23-2011, 02:22 PM
YES!!!!! I'm a Grandma!!! Got the Art Major-Bronski Gorgeous FILLY (well 99% sure it is a filly its a bit hard to tell so got second and third opinions!) we have wanted for ever! Full sister to Major Bronski and General Bronski. Little darling was born 10:30pm last night - right after I had had my shower of course, got dirty all over again! Didn't bring my camera and I have a crapola phone that doesn't take pictures. Will try and get pictures by the end of the week, its a shocker week for me study wise this week.

Spent the first 3 hours with the foal and (hopefully) imprinted her, this morning she was coming up for cuddles. Feeling very chuffed at the moment :)

mango
10-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Congrats Flashing and look foward to seeing your pic's.

eliteblood
10-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Excellent news Flashing Red. There are plenty of good Art Major fillies around. I hope thiis is another one

Big Max
10-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats Flashing that's great news.What a valuable addition to the family!!!lookin forward to seeing the photo's

Toohard
10-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Good for you Tahn! Congrats!!

Flashing Red
10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks... only just coming down from the adrenaline now! :) I don't think I can get photos before next weekend I am so swamped but will get a tonne of them ASAP :) Looks like she has one hind sock and cute little star and she is a decent size. :)

triplev123
10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
YES!!!!! I'm a Grandma!!! Got the Art Major-Bronski Gorgeous FILLY (well 99% sure it is a filly its a bit hard to tell so got second and third opinions!) we have wanted for ever! Full sister to Major Bronski and General Bronski. Little darling was born 10:30pm last night - right after I had had my shower of course, got dirty all over again! Didn't bring my camera and I have a crapola phone that doesn't take pictures. Will try and get pictures by the end of the week, its a shocker week for me study wise this week.

Spent the first 3 hours with the foal and (hopefully) imprinted her, this morning she was coming up for cuddles. Feeling very chuffed at the moment :)

[VVV] Mother & Daughter well. There's a result. Congrats Tahn, excellent news.

Flashing Red
10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Hehehe very (shamefully) must say the she is a he!! :( Lesson learnt don't rely on opinions given by flashlight at 11pm at night. Just got a phone call then that the little "filly" is actually a colt. I know I should be happy, but was really after that filly incase anything happened to the mare. Very dejected at the moment. :( It's a beautiful foal neverthless and I'll have photos tomorrow. Don't know what's worse, the fact that it isn't a filly or feeling like a goose announcing that it is! :'(

triplev123
10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Hehehe very (shamefully) must say the she is a he!! :( Lesson learnt don't rely on opinions given by flashlight at 11pm at night. Just got a phone call then that the little "filly" is actually a colt. I know I should be happy, but was really after that filly incase anything happened to the mare. Very dejected at the moment. :( It's a beautiful foal neverthless and I'll have photos tomorrow. Don't know what's worse, the fact that it isn't a filly or feeling like a goose announcing that it is! :'(

[VVV] Nah, from all those who've ever done a foal watch you will get a respectful nod and immediately earn a pass for not picking the sex of the foal Tahn. It's the age old combination of a lack of sleep, a burst of adrenaline and bad light that conspires against you. ;) Initially I was pretty sure our American Ideal colt was a filly & that despite having assisted up close & personal upon his arrival.
We've got 1 more to go, should be on the deck in the next week or 10 days. I enjoy it all as far as seeing them come into the world... but I can't say I shed a tear when the foaling is over.

Flashing Red
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm glad someone as experienced as yourself can't always tell straight away. :) I'm never normally there when they foal, I always see them the next day and just ask what sex they are and are told. I was so excited to be there when the little foalie was born. First person at the scene that helped get the last leg out and said it was a colt. I was pretty disappointed, but then the guy that normally helps us with the foaling came over and said he was 99% sure it was a filly (and he hadn't ever been wrong before). I was busting to tell everyone on here but waited to the morning (in the daylight), another person looked and they said it was a bit hard to tell but they thought it was a filly. I've never done this before so stayed out of it lol.Everyone was calling him a her until today! Poor little thing will probably develop a complex lol.

I think we should call it Chance.... as in what is the chance of getting 4 full brothers and what is the chance of thinking the he is a she! hehehe :)

triplev123
10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Experienced? Geeze, thanks for the wrap but erroneously self assured would be a more accurate description. Not always right but never in doubt. Just ask VOR. :p

Big Max
10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
CONFUSED BRONSKI could be a nice name...LOL

mightymo
10-25-2011, 10:53 PM
crying game?? or crying game bronski??

Flashing Red
10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
"Thought you were a babe Bronski." lol. Oh the possibilities!! :P

triplev123
10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Crying Game Bronski...LOVE that. Hahahahahahahaha. Nice one Harvey.

Greg Hando
10-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Bronski Heshe

triplev123
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's getting a bit obscure but how about Transformer?- a reference to Lou Reed's 2nd solo album & in particular the song 'Walk On The Wild Side', the lyrics of which dealt with, amongst other things, Transvestites. :):):):)

Toohard
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Serena Williams ???

Flashing Red
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Awww, now I feel bad teasing the little foalie. Poor little darling (he really is very sweet) will grow up with a complex now! His racename will be in line with his brothers (military ranks), regardless :)

Starship Captain
10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Flashing Red,
You could pick one of the leading forum members usernames, as I thought he was a she.haha

Flashing Red
10-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Sorry they aren't the best. The little darling was not the most co-operative when trying to get him to stand in the sunlight!

triplev123
10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
That last shot Tahn, looks to me like he has a really good laid back slope to his shoulders/shoulder blades. I like that. You'd think he should have good extension to his stride. Here's a pic of the grandfather of all great slopes to a Pacing horse's shoulder....Matt's Scooter. I reckon you can see his influence very strongly in both American Ideal and Shadow Play.
Check that out for extension.
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/files/matts-scooter.jpg

Conversely, I can't stand those buggers that are really upright there. Nearly always turn out to be short striding things, little or no extension up front.
http://lorienstable.com/services/fitting/shoulderblade/shoulderblade-neutral-line.jpg

eliteblood
10-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Conversely, I can't stand those buggers that are really upright there. Nearly always turn out to be short striding things, little or no extension up front.
http://lorienstable.com/services/fitting/shoulderblade/shoulderblade-neutral-line.jpg

I think it's pretty hard to tell what she has up front from that photo - the damned horse is in the road

Big Max
10-27-2011, 07:38 PM
i think it's pretty hard to tell what she has up front from that photo - the damned horse is in the road
hahahahahahaha........that's gold!

triplev123
10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Trevor was a bottle-fed baby. :rolleyes:

Flashing Red
10-27-2011, 10:11 PM
This is the only other photo I have. Looks a bit dickie but you can see the foal better! I'll try get better ones next time I go out, even if they are just for me. After I uploaded them all today, didn't really get any great shots!! Not sure why they turned out so small either...

Re the sloping shoulders: it is the same with riding horses. Upright shoulders normally mean a choppy stride.

eliteblood
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Tahn,

A bit hard to guage sometimes from a photo but he looks to be an athletic build - long legs, long barrel.

Big Max
10-28-2011, 01:37 AM
lovely foal Tahn,looks a cracker!

LisaB25
10-30-2011, 03:48 PM
couple of our 2011 foals.
courage under fire colt. 3 days old
Allamerican Ingot filly. 2 weeks old

montana
10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
sportswriter colt born this morning at my place. nice little fella we called marchello.

montana
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Arnie - Mach 3 colt born last week , first time he stood up

eliteblood
10-30-2011, 07:06 PM
I like the look of the American Ingot filly, Lisa

Big Max
10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Congratulations Dean,nice colts.I'm quite a fan of M3...........maybe the little fella should be called Splitsville Montana after that photo.LOL

Big Max
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Well done Lisa,lovely babies! it's a great time of year.

Flashing Red
10-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Lovely foals Lisa and Dean! That American Ingot one Lisa is a beauty! And Dean they are just so adorable when they first stand up, wobbly little things! The Sportswriter looks beautiful too, I love the dark horses!

LisaB25
10-31-2011, 12:55 AM
thanks guys...super happy with the Ingot filly. Shes out of a mare we purchased from the royal star dispersal, done alright since with 3 of her progeny winning. Hopefully can get a few good ones out her too.

teecee
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Tip.....
If in daylight lift tail and look see.
If at night with torch same procedure
f at night no torch..Lift tail... 0 or 1 finger in = colt. 2 or more fingers in = filly..
I was told this when on my 3 foaling season at about number 600 odd I filled in a foaling sheet wrong and I get reminded of it often.
I guess maybee after doing it 600 odd times I shudn't have left myself open to it..

Flashing Red
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Tip.....
If in daylight lift tail and look see.
If at night with torch same procedure
f at night no torch..Lift tail... 0 or 1 finger in = colt. 2 or more fingers in = filly..
I was told this when on my 3 foaling season at about number 600 odd I filled in a foaling sheet wrong and I get reminded of it often.
I guess maybee after doing it 600 odd times I shudn't have left myself open to it..

Haha thanks for the tip - I've always left the sex determination to everyone else and I think I just keep it that way and perhaps just wait 2-3 days afterwards before making a big announcement! Hehehe :) I must admit the whole under the tail thing isn't that black and white, well not 5 minutes after the little thing is born (and I'm sure you can understand me not wanting to do any poking LOL!!!!)

gutwagon
11-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Here's a few pics of my "Dawn Ofa New Day" colt out of my mare "Rumbleon". 9 days old . Mare took 12 months and 3 days from last d.o.s to drop him.
Getting her served by "Art Colony" this season.

Flashing Red
11-06-2011, 09:34 PM
What a lovely fellow! And your mare, she must have been absolutely HUGE and cranky to hold on for that long!! We have an American Ideal and Sir Galvinator still to come :)

LisaB25
11-06-2011, 11:18 PM
he's looks a nice strong type rick.. good luck with him :)

LisaB25
11-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Mr mischief !! courage under fire colt @ 13 days.

ringman
11-06-2011, 11:56 PM
nice colt and nice property good luck

Flashing Red
11-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Hehehe does the little foalie like to get through fences Lisa? We had one last season that we ended up having to put into an electrified paddock she was such a houdini!!

LisaB25
11-08-2011, 02:24 AM
O yeah all the foals know when the fences are off and go exploring to visit the others..

triplev123
11-15-2011, 08:04 PM
American Ideal colt at 4:45am this morning.
Mother & son well.
Foal Watcher very shabby.
2011/12 foaling season all silent, all done.
3 colts + 1/2 of 1 filly.

Starship Captain
11-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Congratulations TripleV123,
Are you happy with the results of this years foals( colts V Fillies).
1/2 of 1 filly???????? is it her front half or her back half that is missing?

kilcoyne
12-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Art Official x Covered Supreme (Beach Towel x Victor Supreme) colt born 2/12/. Waiting on photos.

triplev123
12-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Victor Supreme. That's Charlie's mare. Classy racemare, she has done a good job as a broodmare and best of all she's also got a few daughters that should kick on. Supremacy goes good and there's also Bettor's Delight filly that raced over here that gets along nicely. Good luck with the foal Peter.

kilcoyne
12-03-2011, 05:54 AM
This was the mare I leased to go to Auckland Reactor when he first went to stud after I won the free service at the open day at Stallion Station last season. He got pulled from stud duty the day before she was to be served and I got Art Official as his replacement. Only 2 weeks overdue but I have heard of mare being 38 days overdue. My own mare has just returned a positive(15day) to Ohoka Arizona after the last one died so hopefully this year will be a good one on the breeding front.

Flashing Red
12-20-2011, 12:05 AM
We have added an Sir Galvinator colt and an American Ideal filly to our ranks... both are a few weeks old, sex is 100% hehehehehe :)

mango
12-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Great news Flashing, i've only had the one foal born this year and it's 5wks old and it's an American Ideal filly.

triplev123
12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Congrats Tahn. Got some new batteries for the old Torch-aroonie eh? ;)

ARTOFFICIAL
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Hey kilcoyne has that mare delivered yet??

Flashing Red
12-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Congrats Tahn. Got some new batteries for the old Torch-aroonie eh? ;)

Lmao the call isn't mine nor did I try to make it... sad thing is there WAS a torch involved in that incident!!!

kilcoyne
12-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Hey kilcoyne has that mare delivered yet??
One bay colt arrived 2nd December. Waiting for a photo from the stud once the weather clears up a bit

LisaB25
02-18-2012, 05:39 AM
how's everyone's foals going ?

heres a few pics of our 3 youngsters.
CUF colt
Gotta Go Cullect Filly - legs still not quite right, but much better than what they were.
Allamerican Ingot Filly

Greg Hando
02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Very big improvement in her legs and you look like you could do with a drop of rain.

LisaB25
02-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes some rain would be nice after the last few weeks with temps in the 30's & 40's has really dried off quickly.

Greg Hando
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
We've been getting storm's every afternoon a bit patchy though with amount's.

Triple V
02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Glad to see your filly has straightened up so much in her hocks Lisa.
That's a very good result.