PDA

View Full Version : Southern Classics

protege
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I like that the Southern Supremacy and Southland Oaks have changed their qualifying criteria to stakes won in Southland.
I am a little worried this will see the quality of those fields drop from what we have seen in recent times. Oaks: Mainland Banner, Kiwi Ingenuity, Beaudiene Bad Babe since 2005. Supremacy: Changeover, Auckland Reactor, Highview Tommy, Franco Jamar the last four years. I hope a 25 start 3yo maiden will not become eligible just because it has gone to war on so many occasions beating a 2-start-2-win excitement machine (for instance) into the field.
I propose they add two clauses 1. Leading 3YO Harness Jewels stake earner as of nomination time gets an invite into their respective race. 2. Leading Southland Trained stake earner for the season gets an invite.
I am worried horses of the likes of Le Sol and Jumpforjoy will miss out on competing in their home classic should they decide to take on NZs best elsewhere, or the flipside of that miss taking on NZs best to race in our Southern Classics. Can't we have both with some clever programming?