PDA

View Full Version : De Lovely

nat
12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Is this mare the most exciting horse in NZ and maybe the Southern Hemisphere the way she won last night she was low flying on the bend. I would love to see her clash with all the top mares in oz she has world class speed

eljay
12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Reportedly from Butch - "If you think that was flying, wait till she's race ready"

Neil
12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
brilliant run- that was great racing last night

thoroughly enjoyed watching

mtlunchbx
12-11-2010, 09:12 PM
The partnership between De Lovely and David Butcher is a beauty to watch. David knows what the horse can do, and every now and then she flicks her ears for the whistle for guidance, not that she needs it. One is incomplete without the other.

nat
12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I dont know if David Butcher know what this mare can do as she seems untapped and only doe's what Butcher let her do to win. But your right he seems to have these horses he is at one with Elsu, Changeover, De Loverly

mango
12-12-2010, 08:13 AM
I don't think i've seen a mare with so much turn of foot, when Butcher let's here go she just put's lengths on them and that was only her first start back from a spell. If her half brother by Mach Three is a nice type (lot 52 Australasian Yearling Classic sale) he should bring some $$$

protege
12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
De Lovely was all class on Friday. I look forward to the BBB rematch this week coming. BBB was gone at the top of the straight and kept fighting (though no match for De Lovely) right to the line. A couple of super mares it would be great to see go around Menangle (An Australasian Matron Stakes).
De Lovely, BBB, Make Mine Cullen, Carabella, Broadways Best, Jazzam, Nearea Franco, Christian Melody. Who would make your 8-horse field?

Don Corleone
12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
When a combination of a class horse (De Lovely) and a gifted driver (David Butcher) come together the result is: Magical. I along with many of yous' out there have witnessed in the past, not often but enough for us to now when we are seeing something special. Now we can start once again to sit back and look with wonder as De Lovely and David turn our "De Lovely game" into something exciting and magical. Go Team !!

Phoenix
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
. . and her action is so smooth...
she reminds me of a pacer who never reached his potential in the mid 90s.. Getting It Right.. great smooth action but injury plagued. Hope De Lovely doesn't suffer the same fate..

nat
12-23-2010, 02:07 AM
I didnt think she would get there last run then she turned into super horse and started motoring and powered to the line.

mango
12-23-2010, 06:48 AM
De Lovely is a very beautifull filly with a great turn of foot to watch, but to be honest to enter her in the inters is a stupid move. Don't get me wrong i'd like to see her win the inters 1 day but i'd season her a bit more as a 4yr old and then have a go as a 5yr old. Thats just my opinion anyway.

peacheymagic
12-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree Mango the inters is a little optimistic in my opinion, if I were the owners I would be targeting all the mares races and if she cleans up there I would be taking on the boys in 4yo features like the Messenger and Taylor Mile before the Jewels. In saying that Mainland Banner won the NZ Cup as a 4yo and was very inexperienced!

nat
12-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I hope and I really think she is beyond mares racing fingers crossed she's another Blossom Lady, Tailamade Lombo in the making. As with the Inters if its a 2 heat point fest and a final I don't think it would hurt her as the races are spread out and 4yld racing isn't that easy either these days.

mango
12-25-2010, 12:16 PM
To be honest she will have her guts torn out by the like's of Smoken Up, Blacks A Fake, Mr Feelgood, Monkey King and others, these are seasoned horse's who can run fast time's over the longer trip. If she had the sit behind the leader she might go ok but there's no sure thing she would get to be behind the leader. Don't get me wrong i do like the mare and i do think she is something special and i do hope she can turn out to be just as good as Blossom Lady/Tailamade Lombo but i do think taking on the big guns should be left for another year. By then Blackie might of retired, Mr Feelgood gone to stud and Monkey King and Smoken Up aren't getting any younger so that would live an opening for a couple to step up into there spots and i do believe she could be one of them.

nat
12-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I think she would only be used as a sit sprinter with a good cosey trips big open track she can pop a 26 quarter the only thing against her to me is she hasnt been tested and until the day this happens you wont know if she will fight on or dog it with a broken heart. I still say it wont be any easier racing Smiling Shard, Sir Lincoln, Courage To Rule and the like theres a good crop of 4yld in NZ plus the stable knows about big time racing.

peacheymagic
12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I agree it is a great crop of 4yo's but there is a big difference between 4yo racing and racing the best open class pacers in Australasia like Mango has said. I cannot remember the last 4yo to win an interdominion and wouldn't think a 4yo mare would have ever won it. You have to remember she is also a NHT bred horse and she will always have next year. i just think racing the 4yo boys would be a good step up for her without breaking her.

nat
12-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Believe me in not in total disagreement with you guys but next year is in Perth 3 heats and a final in 2 weeks (old school) this is a chance to race in your back yard without to much disturbance to the mares daily routine plus 2 heats and a final in 2 weeks. The total racing handbook has gone out the window in the last several year’s people are not so guarded about bringing their horses along slowly anymore

Phoenix
12-27-2010, 03:14 PM
if de lovely can become close to what blossom lady was in her prime, then the boys have a big battle on their grand circuit hands..

Mardy
01-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I was watching Trackside yesterday,i think it was...and i'm fairly certain that i heard Greg O'Connor say that De Lovely is coming here to Blenheim to race in the 4yr old Pelorus Classic for $50k in a few weeks.If that's true then it will be a massive race...as Choise Achiever is headed that way,and he is just flying at the moment..and their were one or two other nice 4yr olds going for that race.Should be a bumper crowd on course for that clash.

Neil
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
and Franco Emirate so you are right - will be an awesome race

Mardy
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Ah yes Franco Emirate of course,thanks for that Neil.Yip going to be one of the best Pelorus Classic races they've had..will be awesome.

peacheymagic
01-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Wouldn't be suprised to see Smiling Shard and Kotare Mach among others up there as well will be a good test for De Lovely,

Brando
01-05-2011, 04:56 AM
That is a good trial option pre IDs... if she can't compete with the best 4yo males then save her for next year and aim at some other races

peacheymagic
01-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Spot on there Brando.

Phoenix
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I suspect that it may be a bit early for De Lovely but there's only one way to find out..... and if I were a punter I wouldn't be putting any hard earned on her as yet (I don't bet on any horses)

eljay
01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
De Lovely will be starting Cambridge next Friday.

Flashing Red
01-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know if she would go to Aussie for the Ladyship? Another great, great racemare in Fleur de Lil, back from America is also targeting that race if she can get fit enough in time. As is of course Make Mine Cullen. Fleur de Lil was probably second to only Good Looking Girl before she left for America (and Good Looking Girl broke her pelvis). Good Looking Girl was open Grand Circuit placed.

peacheymagic
01-10-2011, 12:43 AM
That would be a great matchup, not sure if she would target that race though as Auckland Cup is around the same time and would be a big trip for one $100,000 race.

Flashing Red
01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
WHEN will Australia and New Zealand sit down and work out a proper stakes schedule? Seriously? The NSW and WA Derby is on at the same time, the 3yo AGP Colts final is on the same time as the Auckland Derby as 2 examples off the top of my head. Don't clubs realise that they will attract a better field if all eligible horses could physically attend if connections wanted to? Or is everyone just stubborn with their dates??

Neil
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
9 - 4YO MOBILE PACE - A GROUP 2 RACE 2300m
Pelorus 4yo Classic Mobile Pace.Of $40000 including $17500 HRNZ subsidy ($25000, $8000, $4000, $2000, $1000).
Acceptance fee: Nil.

Race History

Horse Name Form Age Sex
Amenophis 380051 4 G S A Ballantyne
Captain Peacock 128X71 4 G D A Taylor
Choise Achiever 211111 4 G T G Butt
False Promise 670391 4 G K G Coutts
Franco Emirate 112121 4 G J F Curtin
Franco Jamar 17X133 4 H S A Dolan
Kotare Mach 19X111 4 H M Purdon & G R Payne
Smiling Shard 231521 4 H C T Dalgety

Neil
01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
WHEN will Australia and New Zealand sit down and work out a proper stakes schedule? Seriously? The NSW and WA Derby is on at the same time, the 3yo AGP Colts final is on the same time as the Auckland Derby as 2 examples off the top of my head. Don't clubs realise that they will attract a better field if all eligible horses could physically attend if connections wanted to? Or is everyone just stubborn with their dates??

is it really an option to travel young horses those sort of distances FR

I know WA is a notoriously hard state to win in. I went to the Interdominions there in the early 80's and the locals cleaned up. Leader bias.

Flashing Red
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
is it really an option to travel young horses those sort of distances FR

I know WA is a notoriously hard state to win in. I went to the Interdominions there in the early 80's and the locals cleaned up. Leader bias.

Personally? I think the option should be open for trainers to make up their mind - not forced due to when things are run.
What about Qld horses travelling to Victoria (by road) for the Victoria Derby as 3yos, or Victorian horses travelling (by road) to Queensland for the Seymour Series as 2yos. IMHO, this would be a lot more taxing than a flight to WA. Or NZ 3yos coming over for the Victoria and NSW Derbies (which I may they have an excellent record in). Yet it gets done every year.

I'm not sure if others agree, but I think your best bet in WA is to put a local driver on. Because those WA drivers love to handle anyone from another state (or country!!). Andy McCarthy was the latest, but they do not seem to do it nearly as bad amongst themselves. :)

Neil
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree - those road trips are a killer and here in NZ we have a ferry crossing that can cause havoc as well

Read on the opposition site that NZ flights to US might have to go to China - we wouldn't do it - why should the horses?

Flashing Red
01-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Yes I head that a few weeks ago to from a person that buys NZ horses for the US. They no-longer go to California to quarantine but to New York, and stop at something like Singapore then Vancouver or something before New York? I can't remember off the top of my head, I just know now that instead of 1 flight it is several - which makes what was already expensive even more so.

I have done that trip with the horses from Australia-California-New York twice before, we were all stuffed by the end of it I'll tell you that!

Neil
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I'll do NZ - San Francisco - New York in July and reckon I'll take a while to recover too

peacheymagic
01-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Anyone know why De Lovely is absent from both Cambridge and Nelson? I realise she would have been off 20m at Cambridge but if she is going to race in interdoms would have thought she would have taken on this lot if all was well with her.

Neil
01-11-2011, 06:45 AM
workouts today

Race 12 2:45 pm WORKOUT MOBILE PACE 2200m.
No Horse Name Draw Hcap Wins Trainer Name
1 Clive Bromac 1 Ft 1 Ian Small
2 Woodlea Warrior 2 Ft 2 (1) Ian Small
3 Susie Darlin 3 Ft 2 (1) Ian Small
4 Kissimmee 4 Ft 4 Bob Lynch
5 Talaspring 5 Ft 6 (3) Brent Mangos & Hayden Cullen
6 Taffeta Bromac 6 Ft 3 Peter Blanchard
7 De Lovely 7 Ft 13 (8) Ian Small

mango
01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi Neil
Just wondering if you have herd anything on Auckland Reactor ?

eljay
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Anyone know why De Lovely is absent from both Cambridge and Nelson? I realise she would have been off 20m at Cambridge but if she is going to race in interdoms would have thought she would have taken on this lot if all was well with her.

She was nominated at Cambridge - there were 11 noms for the fillies & mares ffa but looks like there were wholesale withdrawls when trainers saw she in the noms. Second money was $4000 and anyway hot favourites do not always win. But looks like connections just did not want to race her. Hell, in a field of 11 even maiden trotters, only one can win so can't imagine what the thinking for withdrawing after nominating. No wonder all the good horses leave our shores - and the public are denied from seeing these top animals!!

Mardy
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Surprised to see that she wasn't in the noms for the Pelorus Classic on Sunday @ Blenheim..after some talk of her possibly targetting it.Tho that race should still be a good one..even allowing that their are 8 noms for that race.

eljay
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Super impressive (once again) at workouts today. Sat at back of field, last into straight, won by 3 lengths going away. Final quarter for workout 27.9 so she would have reeled off a 26 or even 25.something. Overall they went 2-47.9 so weren't idling on the journey.

Neil
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
thanks for the update Eljay - she is certainly going to be hard to beat wherever they take her

hope it is ChCh

Neil
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi Neil
Just wondering if you have herd anything on Auckland Reactor ?

maybe could check out the Mark Purdon website - I'll look it up and get back to you

Neil
01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
maybe could check out the Mark Purdon website - I'll look it up and get back to you

HOPPLES GO ON AUCKLAND REACTOR
AUCKLAND REACTOR ran one of the slowest 800m of his career on Friday morning and driver Blair Orange couldn't have been happier. That was because it was only the third time he had had the hopples on since he returned from the US of A intent on a new career which ended up being just a race career in the meantime.

"He ran 3200m in about 5:10 and ran his last 800m in 1:15 but he is doing well. He is looking a lot better too'' Blair said after the champ worked away handily on his own in his usual relaxed style.

"He was a bit light on I thought when he first got here but he has done well and he seems on target''

Auckland Reactor is aimed at the Auckland Cup and the Interdominions next March but Blair says he will do another six weeks at home before stepping out in public. One of the more impressive aspects of his kickstarted career is that he is the same sensible relaxed stallion he has always been, waiting patiently to be worked. No pawing concrete and other signs of impatience from the Rolleston Rocket. He saves the fireworks for the track.

Mardy
01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the update on the Reactor Neil..no doubt once he knows it's GO time..he will switch into the good horse we know that he is.

Also nice to get a 2nd on the board with our girl earlier today Neil..interestingly that's boosted her up into 12th on the Jewels board.

mango
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi Neil
Thanks for the update it's very much appreciated.

Neil
01-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the update on the Reactor Neil..no doubt once he knows it's GO time..he will switch into the good horse we know that he is.

Also nice to get a 2nd on the board with our girl earlier today Neil..interestingly that's boosted her up into 12th on the Jewels board.

Was very pleased too Mardy - obviously people don't usually cheer in the Dinsdale TAB as they looked at me funny. I wouldn't be planning on a Jewels run with her - she would have to win the Oaks to get there and Kylie Ree a very nice horse.

Mardy
01-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Nothing wrong with a bit of cheering Neil.Interesting to see that she galloped for a couple of strides,but i put that down to the fact that the starter held them for so long,and she was standing as still a baby lamb..so that was good to see.Yea i'm not getting to carried away on the Jewels with her,just interesting watching her progress on the ladder....and yes as you say,Kylie Ree is very handy.

Flashing Red
01-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Where would De Lovely fit in against Make Mine Cullen and Ima Spicey Lombo?

Let's not forget Fleur de Lil is back in Australia now too... :)

peacheymagic
01-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I consider Make Mine Cullen a great mare with the runs on the board De Lovely was a great 3yo filly with enormous potential but still has to prove herself versus grand circuit horses Make Mine Cullen has already done this, Ima Spicey Lombo is probably a couple of lengths inferior all things being even.

eljay
01-15-2011, 03:52 PM
It's early days yet. The answer to your question wont be apparent for a year or two.

Flashing Red
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
HOPPLES GO ON AUCKLAND REACTOR
AUCKLAND REACTOR ran one of the slowest 800m of his career on Friday morning and driver Blair Orange couldn't have been happier. That was because it was only the third time he had had the hopples on since he returned from the US of A intent on a new career which ended up being just a race career in the meantime.

"He ran 3200m in about 5:10 and ran his last 800m in 1:15 but he is doing well. He is looking a lot better too'' Blair said after the champ worked away handily on his own in his usual relaxed style.

"He was a bit light on I thought when he first got here but he has done well and he seems on target''

Auckland Reactor is aimed at the Auckland Cup and the Interdominions next March but Blair says he will do another six weeks at home before stepping out in public. One of the more impressive aspects of his kickstarted career is that he is the same sensible relaxed stallion he has always been, waiting patiently to be worked. No pawing concrete and other signs of impatience from the Rolleston Rocket. He saves the fireworks for the track.

I missed this, thanks for the update. I hope for his connections he comes back to his best. I know that throat operations are an uphill battle personally, but horses like Stunnin Cullen and thoroughbred So You Think are living proof they came come back - and better - than ever :)

This is turning into a crack of an Interdom :)

mtlunchbx
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
De Lovely racing this Friday at the Mett. M8 R8 #8. According to the Chinese 888 is good fortune.

nat
01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Just watched a replay of her last race was it just a case of going to the well one to many times being used as a sit sprinter and being caught out. Would think its time to try racing her in some different rolls to see how she goe's seeing they want to race her against the big boys

Flashing Red
01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I (think) it was the Breeders Crown filly final, they played games and really made her work for the lead and she went huge. She showed she could do some work, has she always been driven sit-sprint in NZ???

mtlunchbx
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Nommed for Saturday at the Mett. Up against Monkey King, Nearea Franco, Highveiw Tommy etc. If she remains in the field, its a massive ask to go up against the big boys without any race fitness.

buster
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
she only raced 10 days ago? id call 3 starts this prep plus workouts as race fitness?

mango
01-31-2011, 06:11 PM
She doesn't look like a grose doing mare so she probably doesn't take much work and she might go better spacing her races and keeping her fresh.

mightymo
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I (think) it was the Breeders Crown filly final, they played games and really made her work for the lead and she went huge. She showed she could do some work, has she always been driven sit-sprint in NZ???

No games were played. Should we have just given her the 1st place cheque?? I dont think so, I instructed John to drive to win which is exactly what he did and our filly went amazing and ran 4th depite clearly being the 2nd best run in the race. Do i have any regrets? Not at all. If you go into battle having conceded defeat, you will never win!

Flashing Red
01-31-2011, 11:16 PM
No games were played. Should we have just given her the 1st place cheque?? I dont think so, I instructed John to drive to win which is exactly what he did and our filly went amazing and ran 4th depite clearly being the 2nd best run in the race. Do i have any regrets? Not at all. If you go into battle having conceded defeat, you will never win!

Very true, here here :)

In saying that, (and this is not in regards to any race in particular, especially your filly -which without looking up I do not know who it is by the way) if you know you can't beat a horse, you know it is far superior to yours, what do you do? If driving for second is the best possible position one's horse could finish due to a freak being in the field (lets just say Somebeachsomewhere for argument's sake), do you drive it for second? The rules stipulate:

Rule 149(1) "A driver shall take all reasonable and permissible measures during the course of a race to ensure that the horse driven is given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing in the field".

If the best possible finish, barring accident, is one's horse finishing second, do you go out hard to win and give up most likely a better cheque/finishing position? Food for thought. I remember the last Cox Plate, Gai's horse More Joyous tried to make So You Think feel the weight he was carrying and run him off his feet. Gai was trying to win the race, but realistically she would have never beat So You Think. As an owner I would have liked her to be ridden quiet, get at least second and hope she could win, making the race a sprint home. But she faded out early, trying to win by getting the other horse beat cost her, arguably, second prizemoney.

I am a little on the fence about this, just throwing up some food for thought. :) I don't really think it is about "giving" another horse the first place cheque, (IMHO) but trying to make one's own the biggest possible :) If it's a win it's a win, if not one got the best cheque they could.

(And good luck with your filly anyway - 4th in a BC must mean she goes OK indeed :) )

Flashing Red
01-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I looked up your filly Mightymo, it was a shame she run into Millwood Meg and De Lovely in the same season. I can see why you would have wanted to have a crack for the win too - nice filly. :) A great money spinner and I'm sure is providing you with a lot of thrills :)

buster
01-31-2011, 11:43 PM
how slow would they have gone without arctic sitting parked? i'd say a 63 and then home in 55 flat, what hope would she have had coming from back in the field then?

mightymo
01-31-2011, 11:45 PM
De lovely is a freak. On the other hand, If you swap the barrier draws in the WA Oaks, i reckon we beat Meg. We'll never know, but thats my opinion!

Im looking forward to getting her back at the races, as she got very sick after the breeders crown. All things going to plan, she should be racing in about 6 weeks time

aussiebreno
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Very true, here here :)

In saying that, (and this is not in regards to any race in particular, especially your filly -which without looking up I do not know who it is by the way) if you know you can't beat a horse, you know it is far superior to yours, what do you do? If driving for second is the best possible position one's horse could finish due to a freak being in the field (lets just say Somebeachsomewhere for argument's sake), do you drive it for second? The rules stipulate:

Rule 149(1) "A driver shall take all reasonable and permissible measures during the course of a race to ensure that the horse driven is given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing in the field".

If the best possible finish, barring accident, is one's horse finishing second, do you go out hard to win and give up most likely a better cheque/finishing position? Food for thought. I remember the last Cox Plate, Gai's horse More Joyous tried to make So You Think feel the weight he was carrying and run him off his feet. Gai was trying to win the race, but realistically she would have never beat So You Think. As an owner I would have liked her to be ridden quiet, get at least second and hope she could win, making the race a sprint home. But she faded out early, trying to win by getting the other horse beat cost her, arguably, second prizemoney.

I am a little on the fence about this, just throwing up some food for thought. :) I don't really think it is about "giving" another horse the first place cheque, (IMHO) but trying to make one's own the biggest possible :) If it's a win it's a win, if not one got the best cheque they could.

(And good luck with your filly anyway - 4th in a BC must mean she goes OK indeed :) )
I think it means firstly try to win; then during the race if the horse has lost a winning chance, eg 100m down the straight you still have to try and finish 2nd or 3rd.

aussiebreno
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I dont get why people say if it wasnt for such and such this other horse would have been the standout. It happens with EVERY crop. - that isnt a go at you FR; as a lot of people say it. Just a pet peeve I guess !
And I remember watching the WA Oaks and thinking the same thing mightymo; that the 2nd horse is better than Meg. Good luck this season!

Flashing Red
02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't think there are standouts every season, personally. When I think standouts I think horses like Lombo Pocketwatch or Lombo La Fe Fe or Courage Under Fire - horses that really dominate for that season. Sometimes you get really even bunches of crops (and they may just be because there are a number of top horses!) where it seems like a different horse wins each feature. :)

buster
02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
like this years 3 yr old colts, who ever draws to get the front or behind leader should be winning each classic