PDA

View Full Version : Australia and NZ yearling sales

BenScadden
12-12-2010, 05:20 PM
The Australian and NZ yearling sales are only a few months away ...

Do you expect there will be any surprise packets among the stallions - or will Bettors Delight, Art Major, Christian Cullen still dominate?

Are there any lots in particular you'd expect to star?

mango
12-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Hey Ben
Have a look at lot 107 New Zealand Premier Sale the double up of ITP looks to close for me.

Neil
12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Ben
Have a look at lot 107 New Zealand Premier Sale the double up of ITP looks to close for me.

Hi Mango

Have a look at a mare we lease - Christians Legend - by Cullen from an ITP mare so 2 x 2 to ITP

she TROTS.

doing everything right so far and we hope at trials early in the new year - she isn't mad.

BenScadden
12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
There are a few interesting ones there ...
I also noticed a close-up cross to Abercrombie in there somewhere ... perhaps an Abercrombie mare put to Art Major or something like that ...
As far as stallions go, I'd think the Bettors Delights will be white-hot and you'll probably get some Christian Cullens cheaper than previous years simply because of the volume.
I'm hoping the Jeremes Jet yearlings are as well received as they were at the North American sales ...

Vance Hanover
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Interesting Down Under with how you percieve the Sires from up here. I cannot breed to Bettors' Delight here as he has not left a great colt yet. Sure he is a decent Sire but too many small ones for me. He is a filly Sire for sure but with the numbers he has here in New York he has not been able to leave a special Colt yet. Is it the same down there?

mango
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Ben
If lot 52 in the Australasian Classic sale is a good type i think he could be the sale topper up north.

mightymo
12-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Bettors Delight has had a number of very nice colts in Aust/NZ - Bettors Srike, Highview Tommy.

He has probably had more fillies, but I would be happy to get a colt by him

Bettor Sweet and Kenneth J were very good colts in the US

justdoit
12-14-2010, 06:21 AM
The other thread talked of 600 services in a single season for Bettors Delight, I would be very dissapointed if a sire with anywhere near that number
of mares bred in a single season did not stand out from the others. Ah as long as the live foal percentage was good:) so the future for BD looks good in
the southern hemisphere.
Advice for the yearling sales buy a trotter?

mango
12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Justdoit
Would love to race a trotter but here in n.s.w there are limited races for them it would be 98% pacers to 2% trotting races so that makes it hard. There is filly from a strong family in the Australasian classic yearling sale lot 44 Quite Easy-Chiola's Lass. Chiola's Lass was a good race mare and has done an excellent job at stud, Quite Easy on the other hand i don't know a lot about only what i'm reading in the stallion guide.

justdoit
12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Melbourne Premium Gold Sale, the Cullens and the Grins will be disappointing. The Fake Left every year I think it is the last one but another pops up, shame the mare was not of better breeding.
The Armbro Operative fillies will sell well when you compare the sale price to the service fee and as always the well breed and outstanding individuals will win on the day.
A couple that got into the sale the should not have.
Mango go with the 98%..............................................o r back the roughy

BenScadden
12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Interesting they decided to have three Cullens and two Grins in the first six lots. I guess it's easily to speculate without seeing their conformation. The best-bred lot in the sale could quite easily have conformation flaws ... but they'll undoubtedly still sell well.

I'm always amazed how yearlings that are 'flavour of the month' (for example, a close relation to a horse that's racing really well at the time of the sale) attract so much attention despite their physical qualities.

Without wanting to unfairly label on situation, I remember a few years back a Falcon Seelster filly out of Sassy Gina (making her a half-sister to Sassy Sarah) that went through the APG sale in Melbourne. I had a good look at her and, in my opinion, she had some significant physical shortcoming that would severely restrict her racing ability. yet she still sold for something like $50-60k, simply because she was a half-sister to a top mare.

I always struggle to understand how some buyers are prepared to splash lots of money without doing their homework.

Obviously there's no guarantee you're going to buy a good horse ... but I reckon it's not too tough to be confident some will never make it as racehorses, simply because of their conformation.

nat
12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Ben did you see who owns the horse you mentioned and what she is in foal to

BenScadden
12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Nat,
I can't remember which year that filly went through ... but I see Ian Dobson bought one of em and he sent her to Cullen ... no surprise to see her make a broodmare, I guess.

nat
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
The power of the Falcon Seelster, I dont know about the early lots in the APG Black lable sale I would say they would have to in good order to make this sale

mango
12-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Nat
Just trying to work out what you mean, do you mean if the first 2 in the sale don't look good they shouldn't be there or is it that you think Falcon is getting on and none of them should be there.

nat
12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry just commenting on what ben had written about the first several lots in the upcomming black lable sale

mango
12-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Nat
All good thats what i thought you mean't but wasn't shore. I think there is a few in the sale that probably shouldn't be there and when you look at the other apg sale's there's some well bred one's there. I suppose it's hard to say they shouldn't be there as i havn't the opportunity to see the horses but only time will tell.

nat
12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Mango I'm with you on that there are some nice bred horses in the black lable sale but nothing grabes you like they did at the 2009 sale mares like Sabilize, Jadah Rose,French Flair and the like