PDA

View Full Version : favourite racetrack

Neil
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
similar to the thread about the number of racecourses been to - I had my first trip to Omakau yesterday and what a real neat track - the number of people picnicking under the trees would have made it impossible to estimate the numbers on course but large queues at the totes all day.

I'll be back there for sure.

justdoit
01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Windor, up close to the action and won on the slots.

triplev123
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Menangle. That long stretch sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Phoenix
01-03-2011, 07:04 PM
moonee valley - great races run down there.. albion park ... was into the qld scene big time in the 90's. gold coast - best overall: 1000m track, picturesque etc.

Mardy
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Personally MY fave track is Addington...i guess being a born and bred Cantabrian helps that.So would absolutely LOVE it when one of our syndicate horses manages to get a win at the home of harness racing.

Neil
01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Personally MY fave track is Addington...i guess being a born and bred Cantabrian helps that.So would absolutely LOVE it when one of our syndicate horses manages to get a win at the home of harness racing.

There is a challenge for our trainers then Mardy

Mardy
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Indeed it is Neil...if we manage to get a win their...for me,it will be like winning the Nz Cup..even if it's a maiden race.

nat
01-03-2011, 11:26 PM
The most picturesque to watch on TV is that Kiwi track by the sea (it's name escapes me) my favorite tracks to go and watch live racing are Melton, Globe Derby, Bendigo, Shepparton and Echuca

peacheymagic
01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
You would be thinking of Kaikoura Nat and what a cracker track it is. Only raced on once a year but every year there is a massive attendance and some great racing with the Kaikoura Cup a last ditch attempt for many horses to make the NZ cup and the weather usually plays its part as well. I would have to say Kaikoura would be my favourite track just because it is so unique, the crowd is so close to the horses, the stables are right next to the track, the water is a stones throw away and their is always great seafood on offer!

eljay
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Alexandra Park was always a great track for great racing - pity they now neglecting their patrons with such innovations as parking cars where people used to (and would still if they could) watch the action blocking the view of the horses thundering to the finishing post. Sure, you can move to an area where viewing is relatively unobstructive but to me that's not the point. Another annoying feature of "The Park" these days, especially when there is a day meeting being held, is the convoy of delivery vehicles in front of the viewing area either blocking views or revving their engines when a race (commentary) is in progress. No wonder people have given up attending.

Neil
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
the major clubs are really letting down the regular attenders eljay. The are focussed on the almighty dollar - which they will tell us is needed to keep the industry going - but half the attendees at the fun raiser dinners at Addington wouldn't even know there was a race meeting on. Perhaps they could just have the fake races and funny money betting on them.

Phoenix
01-04-2011, 10:55 AM
or maybe they can have the races beamed live onto screens inside and with betting on them until some people realise "geez, these races are here at this track".

Mardy
01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
You would be thinking of Kaikoura Nat and what a cracker track it is. Only raced on once a year but every year there is a massive attendance and some great racing with the Kaikoura Cup a last ditch attempt for many horses to make the NZ cup and the weather usually plays its part as well. I would have to say Kaikoura would be my favourite track just because it is so unique, the crowd is so close to the horses, the stables are right next to the track, the water is a stones throw away and their is always great seafood on offer!

Yea Kaikoura is an amazing track....the scenary is absolutely breathtaking.Am lucky that living in Blenheim,it's Anniversary day here so there's not too many years that pass that i don't get down their.If anyone hasn't been to South Bay Raceway...then it definitely has to be on your list of things to do...you won't regret it,trust me.

Brando
01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Alexander Park for sure

Don Corleone
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes South Bay is unique and always has a great atmosphere every year. Most rural tracks have their own particular uniqueness - Omakau, as you said Neil is another great annual track to be at. As is Roxbrough with the closeness to the racing (as with yesterday when the water cart went around the spectators got wet). Wyndham with its well manicured golf course and sheep grazing in the centre. Methven when the snow is low on the alps. Buy my favourite track of all time was Harold Park.

Phoenix
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
hahahahah lol @ water cart wetting the spectators....

That's something the NSWHRC could do at Menangle as it gets pretty hot there in the summer... Same goes for Penrith.

peacheymagic
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah Methven is another great track with a relaxed atmosphere and nice views. Its great for families plenty of space for kids to run around and kick a ball etc can take the bbq and enjoy the day.