PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Harness Driver?

Genjoi
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone, first I'd like to say that I'm quite young and have had a serious passion for the sport for some time. Anyway, to my point I was wondering what's the best way to go about becoming a catch driver? I was thinking about applying for the USTA driving school, which would hopefully get me some connections in the sport seeing as I would be a first generation horseman other then my mom who enjoy's betting the ponies and my late uncle who also quite enjoyed it. Are there any other tips someone would advice a young person like myself to go about becoming a catch driver?

Flashing Red
01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Start off as a groom first, by paddocking at races you will meet a lot of people. If you were a keen, dedicated and hard working employee, you could move up to jogging some and then to training some. You would be a long way from being a driver, if you really want to do it it will take several years of crappy jobs first. Good luck :)

Genjoi
01-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Start off as a groom first, by paddocking at races you will meet a lot of people. If you were a keen, dedicated and hard working employee, you could move up to jogging some and then to training some. You would be a long way from being a driver, if you really want to do it it will take several years of crappy jobs first. Good luck :)

Thanks for the info, yeah I kind of figured i'd have to become a groom first, then probably start jogging a few, etc. Do you have any info on how I can go about becoming a groom?

Flashing Red
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
What part of America or Canada do you live? Groom jobs aren't too hard to come by and trainers will reward those that look after their horses really well :) You are better off with a bigger stable first, though less likely to get drives at home you would go to the races more oftern. They are also oftern the better trainers - I've seen smaller or hobby trainers do some silly or even enthical things with their horses. A larger stable is more professional and a good way to learn :)

LadyV
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
The driving school is and excellent idea. Also try contacting some of the drivers at whatever track you are closest to, they may be able to direct you.

Genjoi
01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm from Delaware, like 45 minutes to Harrah's chester, and about the same to Dover Downs. I contacted Montrell Teague he ignored me, but haven't tried anyone else near me other then Aaron Merriman. I'm going to apply to the driving school soon as well.

Flashing Red
01-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know anyone from Delaware but if you contacted the USTA surely they could give you a list of A grade trainers? Now is probably the best time to get a job around that area with a lot of racing going on there and it being quiet in PA....