PDA

View Full Version : Christian Cullens

Flashing Red
01-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Have never had anything to do with his progeny before yet the past 1.5 years have worked with 3.

All were light bays and big horses (2 were 16+ hands, 1 was 17+ hands). They all had a slightly bulged foreheads. All had very large heads!! They also all had two white hind socks, 2 out of the 3 would kick anything to smithereens in the paddock and they were all nice horses, to the point of being a little sooky.

2 were sit sprinters (and had very good sprints) and while the third was a better stayer he could sprint OK too.

None of them could take anywork and all raced better a bit fresh.

Have I just described the typical Christian Cullen, or have the 3 I've worked with just been co-incidently similar? :confused: Had me curious, would love to know. Thought the Kiwis would know better :)

peacheymagic
01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Those are interesting observations Flashing Red, I would consider Christian Cullen to produce good sized-large offspring but to have 3 Christian Cullens 16+ hands I would say is a bit unusual. I consider CC's to be better sit sprinters than tough stayers but he has left many stayers too like NZ cup winner Mainland Banner. I would agree with the statement "None of them could take anywork and all raced better fresh". Just my thoughts im sure many other people will have a different opinion.

Neil
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
we have a Cullen 4yo mare that is very lightly framed, on the smaller side and she TROTS

Loves her work and seems to have a great attitude but apparently very thin skinned and gets hurt easily

Don Corleone
01-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I have never trained any but have driven about a dozen and your right Red, they were all on the larger side of average. All of them had speed and most "tapped" a knee. Now, none of these were champs but a few were intermediate graders and were best with a nice sit. One of them could trot as quick as it could pace but as soon as it got in tight quarters it flicked to a pace!

nat
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
CC doe's stamp them bay, white sock or two well put together, mine have all seem to like their work but in saying that cantering and galloping. One wouldn't try until there was another horse to trial with and clipped and clanged his shoes until go time and went clean as they like to be leaders of the pack. They do seem better with a sit but do have that toughness about them to do some work if they have to and can race all distances. Bred one of my mares to one of his sons and the resulting foal you would swear its a CC

peacheymagic
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
What son of cc is that nat? Anyone else got any foals from cc son's, if so whats there first impression of them?

Flashing Red
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I did forget to add one thing mentioned - thin skinned. The best one, had a terrible time healing any cuts if he got one. So slow healing. Very fine coats and didn't grow much winter fuzz. The one with slow healing cuts, come to think about it he would never pace while jogging, but gee he could motor at a trot. Loved that horse! :)

nat
01-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Peacheymagic
Gotta Go Cullect he was the only one that was compatible to my mare and at $2000 worth a try, I like the top CC stallions as sire prospects I seen a pic of a Ohoka Arizona foal and even that looks the same as a Cullen. That’s the appeal to me of CC he stamps them all and that to me means he will pass on his genetic make up more often than not. I do like Pay Me Christian but he's only available in NZ.

kilcoyne
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
What son of cc is that nat? Anyone else got any foals from cc son's, if so whats there first impression of them?
Got an Ohoka Arizona colt foaled 13 Jan. Massive foal will be waiting to see how he develops. All legs at the moment. 1/2 to Lighting Two up who raced in Victoria 8 starts 6 wins 1 2nd and 1 third (to Bonavista Bay and Make Mine Cullen at Melton)