PDA

View Full Version : Stunin Cullen impressive

Neil
01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
that was a very good win tonight

should have been convincing enough to warrant the trip to the Hunter Cup

Mardy
01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes Neil,he did pretty well.He started like a rocket off the 20m,which helped Ants get him into the right spot..then only a matter of time before he moved on him.Sat parked and was way to good under basically his own steam.Full credit to Brent Shirley who tried to run them ragged...probably would of worked 99% of the time..but sadly for his connections they were up against a class act tonight.

Flashing Red
01-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Is he going over for the Hunter Cup, or concentrating on the Interdoms? Neither Blacks A Fake or Mr Feelgood will be there, it won't be quite as tough yet it carries a 400k purse or something like that?

eljay
01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
The answer is in Harnesslink.

Flashing Red
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
The answer is in Harnesslink.

I saw the article about 5 minutes after I posted, feel like a bit of a goose!! :(

Phoenix
01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes Neil,he did pretty well.He started like a rocket off the 20m,which helped Ants get him into the right spot..then only a matter of time before he moved on him.Sat parked and was way to good under basically his own steam.Full credit to Brent Shirley who tried to run them ragged...probably would of worked 99% of the time..but sadly for his connections they were up against a class act tonight.

Stunnin Cullen showed that he is not just a sit-sprinter.

To sit parked and do what he did in the straight showed how good this guy is.

That said, he's not in the Mr Feelgood/Smoken Up/BAF class yet. Operative word is 'yet'.

Don Corleone
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I was down at Ascot and yes Stunnin Cullen was very impressive and seems to be devolping into the real deal. The Northern Southland Club do a great job and must be congratualted on the quality of the fields. Some good racing on show.

Neil
01-14-2011, 06:20 PM
it is a great meeting and was there last year

was in the wrong island this time

Mardy
01-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Yea that particular meeting always seems to attract very good fields,and so it should..they offer some good stake money.So well done on the club for what was more than likely another succesful Cup meeting.

Flashing Red
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Was there any news/reports as to his performances in the NZ Cup and FFA? Some people thought he was not up to that top class but I think he didn't race as good as he could? In regards to the NZ Cup, do Christian Cullens have good records over 2 miles or are they more mile - middle distance horses? I hope he shows his best in Australia, will be good to see him up against Smoken Up and co :)

Mardy
01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I remember reading something a day after the Cup,and i think Ants stated that once he took a trail,he over raced and by the time he got to the passing lane he had no gas left.So MAYBE if he settled better in a 2 mile go,then i'd think he'd run it out well..hopefully we will see that happen if they decide to tackle another 2 mile go.

peacheymagic
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Flashing Red I think most Cullen horses are middle distance horses best at 1950-2600 which is what most of our races are run over but Cullen has also left some great stayers like Mainland Banner who won a NZ cup and Pay Me Christian who was a great miler.

Don Corleone
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I think with another few months on him since the cup time you will find that Stunnin Cullen settles much better, he certainly seemed relaxed in NSCup. By Tim and Ants taking him to the Central Otago Cup and Northern Southland Cup they perfecting his ringcraft and he will be so much better when he returns to take on the 'guns'.