PDA

View Full Version : There's a 3x3 you don't see every day- 2yo filly in VIC

triplev123
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
G'day all,
Just been looking over some of the recent 2yo qualifiers and there's a 2yo filly in VIC that Caleb Lewis has, went around in a trial at Terang, & it's bred 3x3 to Storm Damage, being by Grinfromeartoear from a Vinter mare.
Used to see heaps of 3x3's to Albatross when old Fake Left was smashing every Vanston Hanover mare that ever lived and more recently there have been quite a few 3x3's to Nukes & so on. Seen some linebred 3x3's to Cam Fella in the last few years & soon enough we'll see more & more 3x3's to Artsplace, to Jate Lobell & so on. Beyond that when Shark Gesture comes down we'll eventually start to see 3x3's to Western Hanover. Anyway, just thought the 3x3 to Storm Damage was a bit out of the ordinary, that's all. [end of waffle] :p

Flashing Red
01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
No, it's not something you see every day. :)

Something more impressive, IMHO, is Smiling Shard. 3x3 to mare Blue Horizion (dam of damsire Panorama and also dam of Smile Upon, who is sire Grinfromeartoear's dam).

I am testing some female family inbreeding (hopefully, if she gets in foal) with one of the mares this season. No star, just seeing if something comes out of it :)

triplev123
01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
G'day Flashing,
I took a shot with something a lot like like that a few years back now. The foal was bred 3x3 to Bret Hanover (damsire of sire/sire of damsire) and her sire and the dam also shared the same mare, Breath O'Spring, as their respective 3rd and 4th dams. It was a filly, a nice enough type but I lost interest in her sire and sold her as a yearling. She turned out to be good gaited but she had no speed at all, just an out and out plugger. I think she might have won a couple? Anyway, she's at stud now. Interesting to see if the blood she carries will 'out' at any point and if she does anything above and beyond as a broodmare. I'll claim it if she does, I'll deftly sidestep it if she doesn't. :D:D:D:D
We're inadvertantly kind of taking a similar path with a Northern Lights mare we bred to Sutter Hanover. There's a lot of similar blood on both the sire's and the dam's sides but we're going with simply him because, for whatever reason, the dam seems to like that Dragon's Lair line. No more nor less to it than that. That sireline's not been that popular here for whatever reason but who knows?
I think sometimes you've got to go with your gut feeling and take a shot at something that's a bit outside of the usual boundary. I can't claim it though, it was my brother's idea.

mightymo
01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I bred a Life Sign mare I had to American Ideal to give me a 3x3 to Three Diamonds...

Flashing Red
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
How old is it Mighty Mo? Would love to keep track of it. :)

Triple V - my "experiement" is a breeding that has the same 4 key mares in the stallions pedigree also in the mares: Breath O Spring (Race Time & Touch O Spring); Breanna Hanover (Bret Hanover & Baron Hanover); The Old Maid (Thorpe Hanover & Tootsie Rainbow); On Time (Good Time & Adioo Time). All are half siblings and 3 are sex balanced. The stallion has an even temperment and the mare was crazy. The stallion could stay and the mare had wicked speed.

I have a gut feeling, it would be unbelievable if this turned out as the resulting foal would be by no means illustriously bred. Here's hoping :)

mango
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Mightymo
I like that cross, i have a Life Sign mare named Crowea and she just done a tendon but it's to late to go to stud but American Ideal was one of my picks for her.

Flashing Red
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Would be good to go check USTA Pathway to see if in his first crop American Ideal had much luck with Life Sign broodmares :) I can't remember my USTA License number at the minute!!

mightymo
01-18-2011, 01:02 AM
she slipped the first time, so the resultant foal has only just hit the ground...

mightymo
01-18-2011, 01:07 AM
The best performer to date bred that way is SIR JONATHAN Z TAM $ 53,188

With only 1 crop, i wont pass judgement yet

triplev123
01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
We've bred a Four Starzzz Shark filly from a mare who traces to the same maternal line as he does, they share the same mare as their respective 5th & 6th dam. Lovely foal too, really nice type, no doubt some of Bill Sheehan's hard work coming to the fore once again.

Beecow
01-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi all,
I've gone to Gotta Go Cullect with a mare that traces to the influential mare Norice (imported in 1903) on her dam's side. Norice will therefore appear four times on the resultant foal's pedigree via Gotta Go Cullect's dam, Elect To Live. Of course, we're talking eight, nine and 10 generations back so the chances are that her genetic input may have been long lost. However, it didn't seem to hurt Elect To Live, a brilliant filly and racemare and, seemingly, a broodmare of great potential. Anyone have any thoughts on how far back you can go before a bloodline ceases to have an influence on current stock? Some of the examples above make fascinating reading and I wish you all the best of luck with your enterprising matches. I think Smiling Shard gives encouragement to anyone considering a 3x3 mating or similar - though it helps when the common factor is Blue Horizon or, in the case of Life Sign and American Ideal, Three Diamonds.

justdoit
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
I look 3 generation and no further.
Triplev123, the 3 by 3 Abercrombie takes about 4 years to come good:)

triplev123
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Indeed it does Justdoit, but it equalled its lifetime mark in the process and with a last to first sweep no less. Just glad to see that he's staying off the pylons these days. :D:D:D:D
Incidentally, you can blame Brett Coffey for that. It was his idea. :p

justdoit
01-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I would think that he is getting the blame for much more these days:)hahaha
He is a good guy just a shame he is from WA...........

triplev123
01-28-2011, 03:11 PM
His Mum bemoans the fact that Brett doesn't look after his lawn and garden quite as well as he should.
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2009/05/15/1225712/660470-don-burke.jpg
Sadly, our mate is no Don Burke. :p

justdoit
01-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Well I did hear once that if you do not mow the lawn the chances are someone else will:) cut your grass that is.
It would have to be easier just to get the pool cleaner to put in that little bit extra:)

Greg Hando
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Didn't Tesio say return to the sire the best blood of his dam other words cross on maternal blood i think it is good idea to keep the maternal sides strong

triplev123
03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Indeed it does Justdoit, but it equalled its lifetime mark in the process and with a last to first sweep no less. Just glad to see that he's staying off the pylons these days. :D:D:D:D
Incidentally, you can blame Brett Coffey for that. It was his idea. :p

...and he stormed home from the rear in 1:53 & a piece last night, drawing off on the line.
I let Brett know. :D

Flashing Red
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
My little breeding experiment is gone, the mare was found dead in the paddock 2 days ago. :( They are checked (when fed) twice a day, she was fine the night before, but in the morning she was gone :( Really gutted because I liked the mare a lot, doubly gutted because the little Flashing Red is gone too :'(

triplev123
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Geeze that's horrible news Flashing. Very sorry to hear it. Been there before and no doubt will one day go there again. Shocking stuff. Never gets any easier either but nevertheless, keep your chin up.
We got a call earlier this morning that one of our in-foal mares was ill. Got out there and I couldn't tell if she had Colic or a virus. Breathing heavy but no apparent temperature, head down, not eating, dull & depressed but didn't seem to be in any obvious pain. We had one come down with a Ross River like virus about 12 months ago now & aside from no sweating she was very similar. So I walked her & walked her & then my brother & Dad arrived & they did the same until the Vet got there. She did an internal examination and sure enough, she was certain it was Colic. Into the jug. with some very big needles full of the appropriate drugs & down the nose with the white snake for a big bucket of saline & liquid paraffin & in minutes she had brightened up considerably and I expect will soon enough be crapping through the eye of a needle at 40ft. Vet thinks the foal might have caused it, thinks it must have turned and gotten into an uncomfortable spot by squashing the poor old girl's innards. Buggers of things, they get crook when you least expect them to.
This one's in foal to American Ideal, she's carrying a half to the big colt that we sold in Sydney. That's him as a foal in the pic to the left there incidentally.

Flashing Red
04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe that's what our mare got. There was some suspiciously colic-y like clods of turf and dirt near her, like maybe she had thrashed about. She was honestly fine the night before, we think either colic or a snake bite? Whatever it was it must have done it relatively quick for her to go from fine to dead in 10-12 hours. :(

triplev123
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM
My brother did some investigating in the paddock & maybe our girl might have been eating some loose dirt/soil. She's a bit of a chewer & digger and a great one for ripping up clumps of grass roots and all and then eating it so that would fit the profile.
I never gave it much thought up until now but given her habits then it might have been like a Sand Colic type thing like I believe they can get in SA & WA? I think I'll go and check the manure piles tomorrow and see what's there. When I saw her again this afternoon she was back to her old irrascible self & she had some paraffin on her backside and hocks so clearly it has been and gone too....and everywhere I expect. :)
Years and years ago the late Charlie Parsons told me NEVER under any circumstances to let a horse with suspected Colic get down on the ground.
He reckoned if they rolled over on their backs or got down and thrashed about that their insides were sure to get twisted & then they'd be gone for all money. He also said if they had gotten down then drag them back to their feet and then make them walk. Of course that all depended on a person being fortunate enough to be right there right when it was all happening.

Flashing Red
04-14-2011, 01:36 AM
See I have always been told, and have had luck with personally, letting them have one or two rolls, providing they aren't thrashing about and seriously colicing. Sometimes its all it takes for a colicy horse, just that roll or two seems to settle everything done again. That and a little ace seems to slow everything down. I would never leave a colicy horse by itself personally, but that mare the other night was 100% fine when she was fed at dinnertime. :confused:

Greg Hando
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Colitis X will kill them that quick Twisted bowel no, colic no, snake bite yes all a mystery unless you are there to see what's happening all bad luck just the same.
Mum once had a cow that got crook and died Granddad told mum once if you have livestock you got to expect losses and mum replied yeah but not the whole mob in one hit. She only owned 1 cow True Story
Just keep battling along Flashing and do your best with what you've got left no good looking back and wondering it doesn't help

Love Of Courage
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Hello Flashing Red.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Keep your chin up !

Regards,

Sue