PDA

View Full Version : Southern Hemisphere Stallions

Gtrain
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
What Southern Hemisphere bred colt or stallions not currently a commercial stallion or still racing would people think could have a successful siring career if given the right opportunity? Interested to see if anyone would be interested in any of "our" horses at all. Surely we are getting closer to breeding our next CC or CUF!!

Triple V
08-30-2012, 01:13 AM
What a great question Grant. Here's a few I can think of, not limited to and in no particular order...
Recently/Currently racing-Smiling Shard, Highview Tommy, Bit Of A Legend, Grand Stride, Fly Like An Eagle, Philadelphia Man, Carribean Blaster, Three Over Three, Excel Stride, Lanercost, Scandalman, Ohoka's Bondy, For A Reason, Miami H. Retired for a while- It Is I, Flightpath, Maffioso, Bonavista Bay.

eliteblood
08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Majestic Mach is IMO the most likely candidate at the current point in time.

mightymo
08-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Majestic Mach is certainly heading in the right direction.

Putting my bias aside, I reckon Fly Like an Eagle is one that would be a good chance. Has a great maternal family that has produced Chokin and Changeover.

Won the first Gr 1 2yo race of the season in NZ (Young Guns) as well as the last (Harness Jewels).

Won the NZ Derby and Breeders Crown as a 3yo

On top of that, he is a magnificent looking animal

Would be great for all Cam Fella, Western and Artsplace line mares

Ok, time to take my rose coloured glasses off!

mightymo
08-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Carribean Blaster is another one i like.

Great Maternal family and just love his will to win

Triple V
08-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Majestic Mach is IMO the most likely candidate at the current point in time.

Majestic Mach is an immensely talented racehorse but he will NEVER become a sire.

Gtrain
08-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Lanercost is one I'd be interested to see. What ever happened to Bonavista Bay? He was a beast!! Maffioso is another similar that disappeared with talent. I had never noticed Caribbean Blaster to still have his utensils. He has wicked speed, excellent breeding, may be next cab off the rank. More chance than Majestic Mach.

eliteblood
08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Majestic Mach is an immensely talented racehorse but he will NEVER become a sire.

How about Sushi Sushi then :-)

Triple V
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeh, if only huh? Most likely the difference between them making it to the track and not doing so though. We've got one that was made two stones lighter a few months back now & I reckon that it has made a change for the better in him. He got a bit piggy at times and we think maybe he was pinching himself too as one of his jatz was a bit brusied. He seems a lot happier now, certainly moving more freely than before.

Triple V
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
What we currently do not have but we really need to have in order bolster the case for locally produced sire prospects is a seriously big $ 3yo race over 1 mile in order to showcase their speed...something along the lines of a Miracle Mile but for 3yos.

gutwagon
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I think Guaranteed (Artsplace-Jadah Rose) could be a future prospect.
I also think Safari has every chance of making it.
As for the trotters I like Zooma and Tennotrump .
I also agree with VVV that It Is I is underated and deserves more mares than he has been getting.

Triple V
08-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Always was a fan of It Is I, thought he was a good looking horse and he was fast & good gaited too...even if he wasn't the soundest around. Took 1 shot at him back in 2008 with Talilia in either his first or second season at stud but his transported semen wasn't flash at the time and she duly missed.

Gtrain
08-31-2012, 05:55 AM
I was at and backed him in the MM when he was held up and 4th. Probably wins if it's at Menangle. Super horse. As was Safari. Two very different animals. Safari always raced with a cloud over his head which may hold him back in the barn. That's one thing that we really do well here in Aus is write our stallions off very fast. CUF was almost written off early in the piece too!

Triple V
08-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeh, I thought It Is I wins that for fun if he gets clear air. Was never much of a Safair fan but he's got enough mares to show it if he's got it. After CUF's first 2 crops in NZ I thought he was gone for all money. It's a remarkable effort because he sired his way back from the dead, just kept on putting good ones on the track. Very fitting that he ended up at Alabar as John Coffey's faith in the horse never wavered.