PDA

View Full Version : APG results Sunday

justdoit
02-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Very sad.

justdoit
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Am I correct in thinking, the majority of buyers/trainers prefer colts?

nat
02-07-2011, 12:28 AM
The prices are they a reflection of a truly bad bad year in Australia with all the natural disasters?
Is it a relection of a average catalogue?

I can understand buy backs as someone who breeds from time to time for myself you would want somewhere around $10-13,000 plus service fee on top to cover your cost's with all the breeding & vet fee's, feeding a mare and foal/yearling for 2years and then all the futurities and sire stakes that you pay up for, the costs are phenomenal to make you horse more desirable at the market.

justdoit
02-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Hi Nat,
It has to be a combination of things that has given the sale results this year, the natural disasters as you put it would have had some effect IMO.
Not to sure about the Sunday sale as far as quality goes compared to previous years, the premium sale it could not be said it was lacking.
It is a very disheartening feeling when you are convinced your product will sell, only to have it not make the reserve. The amount of money invested in the horse continues
grow making even harder to break even or make a profit.

mango
02-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Nat
You are correct in saying that you need at least $10,000 plus service fee before you make any money so it is a hard game. There were a few good prices but overall i think it was a little bit dissapointing and the reason i'm not to sure.

Hi Justdoit
I had a yearling colt in the sale and it is disheartening when your yearling doesn't make it's reserve and especially when you have a realistic reserve on it. As a person who doesn't race colts i changed my mind this time as i was not prepared to give him away and do my ass as people would say so i bought him back and loaded him up saturday and the gear will go on tuesday. I don't have any others in the other sale's but i do hope things pick up for the vendors. I'm not sure how correct this is but the talk at the sale's was breeding this year in Aus was down 25% and in N.Z around 35% so it doesn't look rosey at the moment.

nat
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
It would be interesting breakdown of the sire in averages as I see even some of the Art Major's went at cost or below this it is the last year before he went from $8,000 to $12,000 I think and he's our most commercial stallion

aussiebreno
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
The results for the sunday sale were no different to last year. The prices arent the worrying thing for APG, the amount of lots is. The Lombo sale is one reason but lots were still down.