PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Toohard
11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Is there something safe you can paint on timber posts and rails that will stop horses chewing on them? And if so, where would you buy it? Thanks.

mary
12-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Is there something safe you can paint on timber posts and rails that will stop horses chewing on them? And if so, where would you buy it? Thanks.

Hi Paul, we had the same problem & put electric tape around with nail ons, works a treat.

Greg Hando
12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Stop crib is good at produce stores should have it also calcium molasses blocks will help

Toohard
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Stop crib is good at produce stores should have it also calcium molasses blocks will help

Thanks Mary and Greg. Got a tin of StopCrib and painting that on today. The electric fence works on the top rails but the smart buggers started chewing the bottom of the posts then. All started when daughters pony and my yearling in paddocks next to boundary fence. Old mare next door loves the fence posts and my 2 started copying overnight. Became instant termites! Tried a few 'herbal' remedies that was told about but they didn't work. One I tried in pony paddock resulted in this..

mary
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Not 100% sure Greg but is that the stuff that Butt reckons he went positive for or something like it? I may be wrong but I thought they blamed the posts or what they had in them or were painted with.

mary
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mary and Greg. Got a tin of StopCrib and painting that on today. The electric fence works on the top rails but the smart buggers started chewing the bottom of the posts then. All started when daughters pony and my yearling in paddocks next to boundary fence. Old mare next door loves the fence posts and my 2 started copying overnight. Became instant termites! Tried a few 'herbal' remedies that was told about but they didn't work. One I tried in pony paddock resulted in this..

Hope they left some honey for you!
Top shot.

teecee
12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Not 100% sure Greg but is that the stuff that Butt reckons he went positive for or something like it? I may be wrong but I thought they blamed the posts or what they had in them or were painted with.

No Arsenic is used in the tantalising process of wooden fence posts. That was the issue in the Butt case

teecee
12-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Run a length of piano wire or similar down the length of the post off the top hot wire. Only do it on the inside of the fence so the horses learn a quick effective lesson not the kids. More effective than most paint on options. If you are going to use a paint on option incorporate some tabasco sauce or similar mixed in.

Toohard
12-04-2012, 06:20 PM
The Stop Crib appears to be working. They moved from the posts to trying destroy my recently completed shelter. So just finished brushing it on in there too. A tip for other potential users of it; if you're busting for a pee when painting it on and go behind the shed to have one, wash your hands first. Ouch!!