PDA

View Full Version : BIG increases in NSW Prizemoney increases from July 1st.

triplev123
02-12-2011, 02:19 PM
It seems to be slowly filtering through the Industry here in NSW and Rex and the NSWHRC Crew will put the exact figures on the July 1st prizemoney increases at a meeting set down for a date in March which escapes me at present...however for now suffice it to say the prizemoney soon to become available here in NSW will be the highest anywhere in Australia for both the Provincial Clubs as well as Menangle and in fact it will be the highest available anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere. How good is that? GO YOU GOOD THING! :D:D:D:D

mightymo
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
my mail is suggesting $12,000 country fronts... :):)

buster
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
they are matching the WA levels to begin with and then increase it gradually as they are paid for HP

triplev123
02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
It's excellent news Mightymo, Buster. Excellent news. Finally both existing and most importantly aspiring Trainers & Drivers will be able to make a full-time go of it & finally it will become a genuinely financially viable proposition for the Owners. I can't wait. Bring on July 1st.

buster
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
just wish i could afford a horse good enough to get some of that prizemoney lol

mango
02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope people read this and take notice and start buying at the Sydney sale's cause from here on in looks very promising it's just a shame i sold my yearling through the week lol.

Hi Buster
Get a syndicate together with your mates and hopefully you will be able to get some of that prize money.

Hi Triplev123
There was a whisper going around that you were trying to get the prize money increase announced before the sale's, it's a pitty that it won't happen but you get a A+ for effort.

triplev123
02-12-2011, 04:04 PM
You'll get one Buster. Just a matter of time. The buggers always come along when you least expect them to and often from the most unlikely of sources. It's like the day I met Mrs. Triple. I got home from work one afternoon & hey presto...there she was, standing in the neighbour's driveway. That was about 16yrs and two children ago.

mango
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
And don't forget the sale book on your honeymoon lol.

triplev123
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Many thanks Mango. That's exactly what I was trying to do. I got a call a few days ago and while they and we no doubt all wish it were otherwise, I can now understand why the NSWHRC can't yet put specifics on things before the meeting on the date that they've announced.
That being said Rex & John have been and are spreading the word & further still I understand they'll be speaking in general terms before the Sydney APG Sale with regard to the prizemoney increases in NSW coming into effect as of July 1st and they'll be leaving nobody there in any doubt as to their magnitude.
Probably the single best thing to come out of it for Harness Racing in this State overall is that it seems they're all very much aware of the need for the benefits of the HP sale to be spread further afield than just Menangle. From what I understand very significant prizemoney increases will occur in NSW Country areas as well. The way it's all shaping up a life-sized bronze of Rex being cast and placed prominently somewhere on the lawn out at Menangle is a certainty.

triplev123
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Geeze, very touchy subject that Mango. If Mrs. Triple ever reads this site I'm stuffed.

buster
02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
i have shares in a couple of more then handy ones but still it will be tough racing

maestro
02-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Increased prize money should be reflected in the standard of driving. If Menangle is a permanent Saturday night fixture, the best drivers in Australia ONLY should be in the bike. 20 drivers possibly less to choose from. Drivers could move up and out of the 20 depending upon their form with an emphasis on junior drivers in at least one race on each card. That still leaves Country and Provincials etc Expense wise, 3 ways ... Club, the driver themselves and Owners. It would lift the sport to a new level of professionalism and have a positive impact on turnover.

mango
02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Interesting point maestro, with a big track like menangle i still don't understand how some drivers drive so poorly so bring on the top 20. One owner/driver even though he has some nice horses should not drive, i think his horses would grow a leg with another driver.

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't like that idea - it's actually rather stupid and unworkable. The inivitational drivers races they stage every so often (with the Gavin Langs, DDouglas, C Alfords) mainly in Vic, while Ive seen just about each state have a ladies invite series, need increased prize-money and attract sub-par fields as it is.

If you chose a top 20 of NSW drivers how would it be done? The state premiership has a list of no-names anyway; if somebody had a visiting horse no doubt the Bennetts, McIlhenney and Fitzpatricks would have regular drives so they would be left to choose from John O'Shea or Josh Osborne. They are in states top20 but wouldnt it be better for that horses regular driver; for example; Daryl Douglas to drive MMC this week. Natalie Rasmussen wouldnt even be allowed to drive BAF in the Inter and the the Sapling Stakes winner last week (Montana Falcon I think) wouldn't have had her regular driver either! The list goes on and on....

If you chose Aust top 20 drivers then the only NSW driver in there is Greg Bennett (going of Top 20 for No. of Wins this Season). "Bring Bring, Bring Bring. Hey Greg, its Tappy here. We have Chariot King in this Friday. It is going to be a time trial though as they can't find drivers for the other horses. Apparently they live 1000kms away."

theracehorse
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Hay Tripple are you sure about the prizemoney i heard that is was only the Menangle meetings that were increasing why would Rex Horne and his club be giving away there money to other clubs that they have nothing to do with

triplev123
02-15-2011, 11:40 AM
The question was asked of Rex on ITG last night....and he responsed that the July 1st increases would range from +60% to +100% above the current levels. THAT'S GOLD!
On the score of Drivers, IMO that whole 'let's assemble a US-style catch driver pool of 20 or so chosen ones'... sucks a fat one and not only that but it goes hand in hand with the now 'a couple of times raised but quite rightly shot down in flames' idea of there being no Owners Colours anymore, only those applicable to the 20 or so chosen Drivers. :confused::confused::confused::confused:
Those were two absolute gems from the rather fertive grey matter of Minty Man Number 1 as I recall. I think it best he stick to tipping through his pocket and supporting both local and international Hair Gel manufacturers. GIVE YOURSELF A RUBBER CHICKEN AWARD ADDO!

triplev123
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Hay Tripple are you sure about the prizemoney i heard that is was only the Menangle meetings that were increasing why would Rex Horne and his club be giving away there money to other clubs that they have nothing to do with

G'day racehorse,
They're definately going to augment prizemoney available at Country Clubs. That comes directly from Rex. It's one of their main aims, not only to do it but to be seen to be doing it. They're acutely aware of the need for some of the money that comes from the sale of HP to assist the Country areas to prosper as well and there are many reasons for this, not the least of which is because they're all going to feeder tracks for Menangle. They realise that there's no point having great prizemoney at Menangle if the rest of the Clubs in NSW are racing for a ham sandwich and so the stronger the grass roots, the stronger the top end.
I don't know the nuts and bolts of it all however I believe that a large part of this will be achieved through an ongoing series of Heat & Final races, the format of which I assume would be something along the lines of augmented prizemoney Heats held at various Country venues and Finals raced at Menangle or some such approach. The Carnival of Cups & so on would tie into all that as well I suppose. Totally altruistic motives my friend. 4 & a bit months and counting.

maestro
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Geez AussieB miss the point much ? Of course those horses you mentioned would have their regular drivers on board. Granted this is hardly a stellar crop of drivers in Syndey at present but 5 or 6 would make the cut and if Menangle is going Saturdays and Melton, Gloucester Park remain on Friday why not source Alford, Lang, Douglas, Sugars, Hall etc etc etc

Guarantee them 4 or 5 drives on hopefully a 9 or 10 race card and they'll come. If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.

triplev123
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Maestro writes...If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.

Triple says....Could not agree more. I think the increases in $ will have exactly that effect anyway. It'll demand greater professionalism by default.
If you're a live shot that's going for the fat end the current $$$ then it's likely nobody's paying the air fair for those guys to zoom into Sydney of a Saturday night however if you're a live shot going for the fat end of 25k+ & there are multiple Owners with horses in other races that are of a similar mind then you're all thinking differently.
Ring Ring....Ring Ring..."Hey Puppet...do you feel like Lunch at Doyle's Watsons Bay on Sunday arvo? Yeh? Ok, here's all ya gotta do. :cool:

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Geez AussieB miss the point much ? Of course those horses you mentioned would have their regular drivers on board. Granted this is hardly a stellar crop of drivers in Syndey at present but 5 or 6 would make the cut and if Menangle is going Saturdays and Melton, Gloucester Park remain on Friday why not source Alford, Lang, Douglas, Sugars, Hall etc etc etc

Guarantee them 4 or 5 drives on hopefully a 9 or 10 race card and they'll come. If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.
You've got your head in the clouds. 4 or 5 drives; on average that wouldnt even be 1 winner per meeting for them. Yep, I would fly from Perth to Sydney and back every week for a winner every 2nd week....not. Or are HRNSW going to subsidise all the plane trips and car trips? lol. You still might get some of Vic lads going up but not week in week out.
What happens when Neil Day wants to take Haydaze or Camlach or whoever his next star is to Menangle? Is Neil not allowed to drive it? Or what. See how riduculous your idea is???
Trainers and owners don't want to be dictated by who can and can't drive their horses either. Under your scheme Jackson Painting would not be allowed to drive at Menangle. He got a treble a fortnight back FFS.

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Maestro writes...If the prizemoney is doubling, professionalism in the driving ranks needs to lift three notches.

Triple says....Could not agree more. I think the increases in $ will have exactly that effect anyway. It'll demand greater professionalism by default.
If you're a live shot that's going for the fat end the current $$$ then it's likely nobody's paying the air fair for those guys to zoom into Sydney of a Saturday night however if you're a live shot going for the fat end of 25k+ & there are multiple Owners with horses in other races that are of a similar mind then you're all thinking differently.
Ring Ring....Ring Ring..."Hey Puppet...do you feel like Lunch at Doyle's Watsons Bay on Sunday arvo? Yeh? Ok, here's all ya gotta do. :cool:
I like how you said 'demand greater professionalism by default'. Could not agree more.
Don't need to go making silly rules and regulations (as it is only A Grade drivers can drive there anyway - so its not like they let any man off the street); McCarthy, maybe Darryl Graham are moving and I'm sure others will follow suit; the standard of not only driving but trainers and horses will be lifted automatically.
Plus you will have regular interstate invasions imo - which will turn a 10 horse race from having 3 or 4 winning chances into it having 6 or 7 winning chances!

maestro
02-15-2011, 01:55 PM
"Is Neil not allowed to drive it?"

Neil's owners would welcome it : )

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 02:40 PM
"Is Neil not allowed to drive it?"

Neil's owners would welcome it : )
Ahh no because they send horses to him knowing full well he drives them.

buster
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
he wont have many horses after all the big boys come to town

maestro
02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Ahh no because they send horses to him knowing full well he drives them.

Neil's style of driving doesn't cut the mustard nowadays. There a few oldtimers in that mould ... out with the old and in with the new.

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
The Stride horses are all he seems to have these days anyway (at least the ones that can run a bit) - and that won't change until the day the Strides stop owning horses or the day Neil stops training!

Maestro, I'm with you that on that my own horses (if I had any) and as a punter I want only the best of the best driving; Bennett, Alford etc but to make rules depriving the likes of the Trevor Munday's, Jackson Paintings or Neil Day's from driving is not a plausible idea in my book. We need more participants having the chance to earn a buck from the game, not less. Where do we stop? Only millionaires can own horses, trainers must train 20 winners a year to keep their licence?

triplev123
02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
The ever present egalitarian beauty of Harness Racing is that no matter how big the stable and no matter how deep the pocket of their Owners, the smaller operations can ALWAYS get a good one to knock off the big operations. It has been the same since its inception. That being said, one thing I think we'll see happen in an ever increasing fashion over the coming years is that the scouts will be out everywhere and a lot of young horses that are showing promise at the trials or in their early starts will be purchased by said owners with deep pockets and then moved to the bigger stables. One way or another the $$$ flows and it's all good.

buster
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
wouldnt be surprised if neil is on very thin ice with rosarti, just because he has money doesnt mean he likes tearing it up

justdoit
02-15-2011, 10:29 PM
He could send some horses to the Fitzpatrickers:):(haha

triplev123
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
The Industry could do with 100 fellas like Emilio. I think he's a terrific fella.

Mark Croatto
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Clearly this forum must be cowards' castle, lots of crap comments from the uninformed!

Neil's stable is full and plenty waiting on the sideline. The reason they go to him is simple, honest and doesn't feed you a whole lot of crap about your horse. Unlike some on the so called top 20 list, he's one you can trust off and on the track!!!!!!!

Regards

buster
02-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Give me willick any day if the week, he's got more talent with his eyes closed than n day

if he is so talented why does he not get free lance drives? And he's working 60 horses, where are all the good ones?

mango
02-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Hi Buster
Talking to Neil the other day and his only working a tad over 30 and yes he does have some big price purchases there but just because they are big price horses doesn't mean success. He only starts them if they are ready he doesn't start them for the fun of it. I've had horses with Neil and have found him to be straight down the line and honest.

maestro
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
G Webster has set an example that a few guys in our neck of the woods should follow ... and from a punting perspective, handing the reins over to Jnr doesn't cut it. If I like something at 2's with Jnr on, I'll take 6-4 with Sugars and yeah, there's way too many quality freelance drivers like Willick etc not getting enough drives.

triplev123
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Clearly this forum must be cowards' castle, lots of crap comments from the uninformed!

Neil's stable is full and plenty waiting on the sideline. The reason they go to him is simple, honest and doesn't feed you a whole lot of crap about your horse. Unlike some on the so called top 20 list, he's one you can trust off and on the track!!!!!!!

Regards

Well said Mark, well said.

justdoit
02-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi Mark Croatto,
To put this in your second post???

TripleV123,
You have 250 post haha thats lots hahaha

The Days are good people/horsemen and the concreter seems to prefer genuine people.

buster
02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
yes mango, but he picked those horses out so it does reflect on him if they are no good

webster would be a leading free lance driver in sydney but he still chooses to put sugars on over himself - says something

triplev123
02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
G'day justdoit,

Merely backing a mate's call my friend. He's simply doing for Neil, a fella that both he & I know, something similar to what I did recently in defending the scurrilous allegations made against D. Thorn...and as far as I'm concerned, well played Mark. Not sure about the good people/horsemen/concreter stuff you put at the end there...somewhere along the way you've lost me in translation. You'll have to elaborate.

Mark Croatto
02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Give me willick any day if the week, he's got more talent with his eyes closed than n day

if he is so talented why does he not get free lance drives? And he's working 60 horses, where are all the good ones?

G'day Buster, I'll tell you what, we're racing at Goulburn on Sunday the 6th March, come to our race day office, right next to the stewards so it shouldn't be so hard to find, introduce yourself and then I'll take you around and you can meet Neil. That way you can tell him what you think - face to face - rather than hide behind anonymity. What do you think, is it a date?:)

To Justdoit,
I'm not so sure that the number of posts I have made should determine what I may say. Have been a member since the start, the fact I chose not to comment previously doesn't preclude me from commenting when some unknown decides to publicly demean a person who has my respect as a trainer, driver and person!

Regards

Mark Croatto
02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey Big Fella, thanks. As wonderful as the electronic era may be, when it comes to online communication media such as forums, their biggest drawback is the anonymity they provide those who are not so brave in real life!

Now, back to the topic, having watched the replay of 'In the Gig' last night, the steps being taken by Rex and co really have to be applauded. 60% to 100% increases in Career front prizemoney. That is going to be a Godsend to participants.

All we need now is a favourable result with the race fields legislation, or at the very least some realistic compromise that sees the racing industry receive a fair cut and we will be in the strongest position ever as far as participants are concerned. The confidence that will flow from that will see NSW industry grow to heights we could only dream of a few short years ago:D

I've got one in work and two fillies due back in the next month and everything is crossed that they make it.

Regards

Mark

buster
02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
i have no problems telling neil that i dont think hes a good driver and an average trainer

Rids
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
May I say the following;
Check the current issue of HRI on the most winning horses at Harold Park, you will find Cashel Lugh and Ben's Image amongst them.
Not very long ago when Menangle opened Neil led the premiership all the way up to the close of the season only to be pipped at the post by weight of numbers.
He has a State Premiership under his belt and a number of group ones as well.
On final day of the ID less than twelve months ago he posted a 1.51.2 with Magic Operative in the FFA race.
I really don't need to go on.
We with horses at the stable are very happy and have complete confidence in both him and Amy and put our money where our mouth is win, lose or draw we. Have a nice day.:)

triplev123
02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
No worries Mark, you're welcome and so's Neil.
Of course if it were Ray Moroney we were talking about, that would be an entirely different story because Ray is is one seriously old Shagger with bells on and a rear-view mirror. :D:D:D:D:D:D Be sure to tell him I said that when next you see him and also tell him if he tries to get his Zimmer Frame into the boot of my car again I will run over it. :p

Rex is as always a man of his word. He said that he would be getting on ITG & he would mention the prizemoney increases at Menangale and in NSW in general and that he'd leave nobody watching in any doubt whatsoever as to their magnitude...and that he did, in spades. Gotta love that.

You know the two biggest things that will come from these increases Mark?
It will mean that Trainers & Drivers will actually be able to make a genuine full-time career of it & as the father of at least one girl who, like her old man, would much rather be around horses than most people she knows and a girl that is likely to get involved in the Industry at some point in the future, that is just great as far as I'm concerned. She and those like her will still have the Industry to look towards as a career path in 10-15-20 years time. How wonderful is that?
Just as importantly it will also mean that after years and years of basically subsidising the operations of the NSWTAB the long suffering Owners in this State and elsewhere will be afforded the opportunity to pay their training & related bills with significantly more ease...and they may even be able, for perhaps the first time ever, to run their racing operations at...God forbid...a profit !!!. Imagine that huh?

triplev123
02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Where have you been Rids? Mark & I have been holding the Fort waiting for the Calvalry. :cool:

buster
02-16-2011, 08:55 PM
beaten by weight of numbers....lol

Rids
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
beaten by weight of numbers....lol

Do the numbers to the strike rate, Sherlock. :D

justdoit
02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi TripleV123,

The Days are good people/horsemen and the concreter seems to prefer genuine people .

Translation
The Days are good people, and very capable horsemen. Emilio Rosati seems to prefer genuine people more so than the
type that would tend to piss in his pocket.

Hi Mark Croatto,
I feel that attacking someone on a public forum is a very weak thing to do and even more so when the attacker is not using their name.
In this instance they are just wanting a reaction and stirring up some shit. IMO

buster
02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
less than half a percent difference between him and fitzy? and fitzy has a significantly higher prizemoney ratio. Plenty of blokes in the bottom half with better strike rates

buster
02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
i think i would follow the form more than anyone on here so i am entitled to my opinion

justdoit
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
We recently moved a 4 yr old mare from one trainer to another.
The lies seemed to be coming our way thick and fast, they had someone wanting to purchase her,
the amount we were told that was being put forward was a 1/3 of the actual price.

She is now with a trainer that is a good honest person, I get more enjoyment out of the horses when dealing with good people and
not arseholes.

Hi buster, yes you are.

triplev123
02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
justdoit writes...
Translation
The Days are good people, and very capable horsemen. Emilio Rosati seems to prefer genuine people more so than the
type that would tend to piss in his pocket.

Triple says...That's right on the money on both counts justdoit.

buster
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
and i would say my comments had nothing to do with his honesty

ive had no bad experiences with AUSSIE trainers

mango
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
With prizemoney increases will this mean training fee increases as well.

buster
02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
they should be able to charge 50 a day

triplev123
02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
they should be able to charge 50 a day

AFTER they start winning races at the new prizemoney levels, not before.