PDA

View Full Version : Mohican Prince

aussiebreno
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Firstly, yes I had a little bit on him the place.
Secondly, it was only a little bit because I believed the favourite was a false favourite after its terrible run 2 starts back.

Now heres the point of post.
2 starts back Mohican Prince drew the pole at Shepparton. Same thing happened today. Both times it handed up, today lobbing back leaders back after being 3rd on the pegs 2 starts back.
Both races were ran in near identical Mile rates. 2 starts back it saw daylight at the top of the straight and was taking ground off the winner to be beaten 1.3m in 1.58.8. Today it was gone halfway round the bend and was eventually beaten 15m in 1.58.9.
So that is a 13.7m turnaround, or a bit over 3 lengths. In fact, 4 lengths if you think today he came from leaders back instead of one spot behind.
I know horses arent machines but as someone who normally follows rather than bets, especially away from the Metro meetings, its a bit off-putting. I'd imagine punters would be more peeved off with this kind of thing more than myself as well. Things like this should be put in the stewards reports; not just the occasional odds on pop getting stuck in the chair and going down so having the run queried etc. Need more actual horse people in the stewards rooms.

buster
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
yeah a bit of a tricky race that one as far as doing the form before the race, i did think the fav was the one to beat but was a bit surprised by the price until i saw chris pushing forward at the start, they obviously thought she was going to lead but in the end she did work for nothing and just took its toll

my only advice would be is just be careful when using form of horses that were following the pegs in fast last halves (it had at 3 out of last 5), they are only following the speed and a 56 half means anything wider then it on the track will struggle to get past it and therefore it probably is flattered. (and horses of that grade should run a half like that around shep in a heartbeat, so yes it would help if more questions were asked)

buster
02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
ps - id did mine in that race as well...

thought they should ask
1- mitch reece on his drive on tully belle at newcastle (he should get 6 months if i was steward, it would wake of few of these guys up)
2- J K Schischka why he waited behind the leader for the sprintlane only to switch to the outside about 10m before the sprintlane came up (couldnt have won but still)
3 - the starter of race 2, if he noticed that pelling was in the second line and checking horses when they let them go

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
yeah a bit of a tricky race that one as far as doing the form before the race, i did think the fav was the one to beat but was a bit surprised by the price until i saw chris pushing forward at the start, they obviously thought she was going to lead but in the end she did work for nothing and just took its toll

my only advice would be is just be careful when using form of horses that were following the pegs in fast last halves (it had at 3 out of last 5), they are only following the speed and a 56 half means anything wider then it on the track will struggle to get past it and therefore it probably is flattered. (and horses of that grade should run a half like that around shep in a heartbeat, so yes it would help if more questions were asked)
It shoudlnt matter about being on the pegs though, because the trip was a carbon copy of the run two, now three, starts back. It couldnt even replicate the time yet having a mirror-image run - its not like it was in the running line or 3wide yesterday, it was still tucked away on the pegs. If they had of gone 1.58.0 or a last half in 55 and it had of dropped off I woudn't have cared but the time was identical to a previous start yet it finished 4 lengths worse. If I see this thing go around again I will be keeping an eye on it.

Mitch Reece should get time for every drive haha
J K Schischka??? Well I guess how you explained his driving is why he/she is a no-name.
The starter might have had is dough on a front line horse :D

buster
02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
yeah the starter was prob on the fav which then had zero horses to cross and strolled to the top

i just think mohican prince isnt that good of a horse, hes only run 2 places in the last 2 years or something off the top of my head and hes had that trip a few times when hes done no good as well

i wouldnt be following any horses out of that race imo

aussiebreno
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
yeah the starter was prob on the fav which then had zero horses to cross and strolled to the top

i just think mohican prince isnt that good of a horse, hes only run 2 places in the last 2 years or something off the top of my head and hes had that trip a few times when hes done no good as well

i wouldnt be following any horses out of that race imo
I dont think the horse is worth his weight in gold either but times dont lie and beaten 1m in 1.58.8 compared to beaten 14m in 1.58.9 in exact same circumstances dont add up.
And by keep an eye on it I didnt mean back it, just take note of its performances! If Wipem Dry could sit in the death and look the winner halfway down the straight there isnt much hope for the rest of them!

aussiebreno
06-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Using Rebecca Bartleys claim and the 10 starts no win rule they dropped him back to firstly a C2 then a C2/C3 for 2 wins in his last 2 starts. Form had been consistent up until then. Form has been pretty consistent with what I thought was a drop in his ability when down the track. Must have been a one off good performance the time he ran 2nd ...