PDA

View Full Version : Stallion sterotypes

buster
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
i really hate all the pedigree crossing (3x3 etc) and crap talk, so how about a discussion on the different stamps stallions will leave on future progeny (also the negative points), feel free to add to the list or disagree with whats on there

art major - strong types, plenty of action
bettors - small
courage - small
holmes hanover - no high speed
modern art - spooky
red river - knee tappers
sundons - mad

nat
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Skyvalley - A legacy of speed, gate and looks

triplev123
02-18-2011, 06:49 PM
There was a time when I thought I had this kind of thing pinned but these days I'm not so certain. Stereotypes is right. Those 'traits' are, for mine, only generalisations at best. The mares have WAY too much of a say in the foals for me to allot any of those things solely to the influence of the sire alone. One of the nicest gaited horses I've seen was a mare by Jennas Beach Boy and they were notorious knee punchers. Some sires certainly do unevenly split their best performers, some tending notably in favour of colts, others for the fillies but the overtly poor colts or fillies sire is infact a rare thing. The last really bad sire of either sex that I can recall was Deep Adios. By and large, his fillies were hopeless. Of his top 200 performers, only 34 were fillies and he went on to do no better as a broodmare sire with only 19% winners to all foals from his mares, some 1868 of them. The strict definition of Stereotype speaks volumes - standardized and simplified conceptions of groups based on some prior assumptions.

mango
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Armbro Operative - will be a good broodmare sire

buster
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
jennas beach boy - weak

nat
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
jennas beach boy - weak

Agree Disapontment may leave mark as a B/Mare sire IMO fillys and mares go alright

mango
02-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Life Sign - Disapointing

In The Pocket - Great sire left both colts and fillies.

justdoit
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I have listened to many people talk about stallions offspring and what they believe the sire tends to throw. In most cases you will find that with the limited number of horses that people have had their experiences , it will not always be a good reflection of the sire.

"those real desires kick and can't pace, no bloody good at all" this guy has one filly out of a very ordinary old mare.

buster
02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
these are very general justdoit

nat
02-18-2011, 11:10 PM
To right Buster
Its good just to shoot the breeze and talk about what people think of stallion without as you put it going into all that 3x3 line bred Hale Dale on the dam side mumbo jumbo if it was that easy I'd be at Melton tonight watching all my winners. The fact is it takes 2 to tango but some stallions just stamp their offspring with some trait near on all the time.

Don Corleone
02-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Red River Hanover - lunatics

triplev123
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
G'day Don,

RRH didn't have both oars in the water himself, he was as sour as a grapefruit.
I have to say they looked really good as yearlings, he had half a dozen or so in the Sydney APG Sale the year his 1st crop made their Sales debut.
The main thing that we began to notice with them was the way they'd go & hide up the back of their boxes & sulk whenever anyone came around that might do something with them. A mate of mine broke in more than a dozen of them over 2 seasons and to a horse they were the same. He was well off them before his 1st crop even hit the track here. They just didn't want to be there, they didn't want to know about being a racehorse, shitty, negative attitudes. Other youngsters would be standing there hanging over the door & carrying on, waiting for someone to come over and get them out to do their work or they'd be checking out the goings on in the stable but not the RRH's. Not surprisingly it wasn't very difficult for Trainers & Owners to quickly develop an aversion to them. His first crop hadn't even made the end of their 3yo when the call went out to abandon ship.

Don Corleone
02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Spot on. I broke 3 in a couple of years ago and they were beautiful bodied horses, 1 colt 2 fillies. They all had the same blemishes. All sulked one day and the next day they all wanted to be your friend then next day back to square one again. All of them had nice gaits but the hearts the size of caraway seeds. Only one made the races and and had 3 starts before being sacked.