PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi dingos

buster
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope you guys have some more ammo then you showed tonight at Auckland - an Aussie domination

admin
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I feel I need to defend, but... can't...

mango
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
A very dominate display from Aussie horses tonight and for me Sushi Sushi and Mr Feelgood are equal on run of the night.

buster
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I would disagree and say restrepo

mango
03-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm talking about the races in n.z

nat
03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Definitely Buster with several top Aussie horses still to start a campaign in NZ heading to the Inter

eljay
03-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I hope you guys have some more ammo then you showed tonight at Auckland - an Aussie domination

Bloody hard when you guys buy up our young stock!!

eljay
03-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Definitely Buster with several top Aussie horses still to start a campaign in NZ heading to the Inter
Seriously guys - The two pacing winners have been in Auckland for over 2 weeks, had workout on the track, and that showed. Hit and run very rarely works.

admin
03-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I must thank you Aussies though as I picked up the quaddie.

threewisemen
03-12-2011, 12:13 AM
if royal verdict didnt run into a dead end he wins by a length or two. well done to the sushi crew.

Don Corleone
03-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah well done Aussie. Bring on the Inters. I am like you Admin, although I didn't get the Quaddie, I picked up a dollar or two from the Aussie horses.

mango
03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey Eljay

You talk about the Aussies buying all your young stock well i think it's only going to happen more on a regular bases now with so much prize money on offer at Menangle.

eljay
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Correct mango. The Industry is in trouble here - gallops and dogs as well. We will just become a nursery. Low stakes and low interest from from the government plus the money at all costs attitude from the Racing Board/TAB who appear to be very much Aussie driven are all bringing about the gradual demise.

buster
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
you boys in nz will be ok, nsw money will make all your horses worth twice as much...i sure wish i could sell my cast offs for as much and as quickly as you guys can

plus any good ones can just come over here and race full time..i give purdon 1 month and he'll be set up over here

Don Corleone
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I have always thought that here in NZ we should be a nursery. It stands to reason that we have lack of money to compete with Austrailia as a whole nor the population. The current powers to be couldn't care less if we have a harness race from Menagle, Forbury or a dog race from any number of tracks.
I agree buster that our top kiwi trainers have to set up over the ditch. Good, sound business practice. I don't mind at all as from where I live its cheaper flying into Sydney and Melbourne than to Auckland!!
As long as the best horses get to race each other and the prizemoney is good then I don't care who trains them or where they race. It's a pleasure to watch.

buster
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
if you thought NZ was in a bad spot, how sick is qld and vic racing going to be now - every good horse and driver in the east will be sitting out on the flood plain at menangle

kilcoyne
03-16-2011, 05:44 AM
I have always thought that here in NZ we should be a nursery. It stands to reason that we have lack of money to compete with Austrailia as a whole nor the population. The current powers to be couldn't care less if we have a harness race from Menagle, Forbury or a dog race from any number of tracks.
I agree buster that our top kiwi trainers have to set up over the ditch. Good, sound business practice. I don't mind at all as from where I live its cheaper flying into Sydney and Melbourne than to Auckland!!
As long as the best horses get to race each other and the prizemoney is good then I don't care who trains them or where they race. It's a pleasure to watch.
Adam Hamilton predicted that I top Kiwi Trainer is about to do just that on In the Gig last night. My prediction is that it will be Mark Purdon with Grant Payne taking over All Star Stables as a feeder stable.

mango
03-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Hi Kilcoyne

Didn't see In The Gig last night, yes i know i should take myself out the back and give myself 12 upper cuts lol. Anyway keep us posted if you hear any more about what was said last night. I think with prize money increases in n.s.w we will see a lot of people set up satelite stables and Don is correct who care's where they race as it will be good to see good horses race week in week out for good money.

triplev123
03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
G'day fellas,
Not surprisingly some people have begun to bemoan the level of competition that they're soon to confront and I've no doubt with the kind of $$$ will be on offer it will be tough to win races at Menangle in the near future. However I still think it's great that all these Interstate and NZ based stables are aiming to re-locate to NSW. Inside of 18 months it is set to become the greatest Harness Racing Show on Earth, one that's going to produce some awesome racing by some terrific horses and as a result a significant upswing across most if not all facets of the Industry & to varying degrees on both sides of the Tasman...and that's just fine with me.
Something that I believe a lot of people are currently overlooking and if not then not giving much air-time to...is the employment/career paths aspect which vastly increased prizemoney & associated activities will undoubtedly produce.
Trainers, Drivers, Stable Hands, Farriers, Vets, Feed Suppliers, Transporters and the list goes on & on. No doubt it has been done in the past however I'd like to see some sort of an estimate/indication of just how far into the Local and National Industry/Economy the $$$ will spread.
I'm seeing a kind of similar thing around here where we live. A lot of new houses are being built in the general area and every single Tradesman within 100km is working 7 days a week if they want to. Bricklayers, Tilers, Carpenters, Concreters, Sparkies, Landscapers, Painters, on & on it goes and they've nearly all got Apprentices. They're all taking home pay packets to their respective families and that $$$ is being spent in the local shopping centres & surrounds & in turn those shop owners are making a quid and paying their bills. Things are upbeat because the $$$ is steadily flowing. People can see some certainty. It will be no different once the $$$ starts to flow at Menangle. The benefits will extend far beyond the racetrack..and how good is that?

buster
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
im pretty sure purdon had already made it clear he wanted to have horses in aus alot (the better ones), which was the point of buying more aussie yearlings but also for the good 3 yr olds being able to race their own age over here rather then racing FFA horses in NZ, which is why major mark stayed here before the derby

and the exchange rate whacks an extra 30% bonus for kiwi owners

eljay
03-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Don't overlook Cran

mango
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if one set's up over here and more follow. Buster your right with the $$$ so strong it makes it more attractive and they would be silly not to take advantage of it.

triplev123
03-16-2011, 04:54 PM
They'll have some fun adjusting to the early pressure in our races. There'll be no dawdling out of the gate and sprinting home from the half.

eljay
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
They'll have some fun adjusting to the early pressure in our races. There'll be no dawdling out of the gate and sprinting home from the half.

I don't think so, the Kiwis have been pillaging your top races for ages now. And the horses they would bring over would be the cream, not the nillers which would still go around for2 to 3 thousand stakes at the country meetings like now. The impact if Kiwi(s) set up in Aussie would be on the leading clubs like Auckland and the Met who would struggle to find enough horses to fill a programme of their present standard.

triplev123
03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Stop it...my sides are aching, you're killing me eljay. Coming off the back of the absolute pounding at the hands of the Aussie contingent that you guys received right there in your own backyard in Auckland last weekend, coupled the fact that many others including myself warned well in advance and on this very Forum that it was Sushi's for the taking because there would be NO early pressure applied in the GN Derby...and surprise surprise there duly wasn't...that is REALLY funny. Many thanks.

Don Corleone
03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Make the most of it triple as it happens but once a decade for you guys. As for kiwis going over your way ah.......just read the results.
You're right eljay the Met and ATC will be ones who will struggle to fill a quality field. As far as down my way there will be no impact at all other than what it already is and that our southern horses will end up in OZ as they should, being that is where the money is. Nothing better than seeing the Southern bred horses performing on a overseas stage.

eljay
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
triplev did you read post no. 2 in the "Elizabeth Heath" thread???

Perhaps you should - many thanks

mango
03-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't care who win's our horses or the kiwi's just as long as the racing is great, it will be interesting if this does happen in the next 12 months as to see if the pools grow ($$$) cause more turnover means more back into the industry.

triplev123
03-16-2011, 06:39 PM
triplev did you read post no. 2 in the "Elizabeth Heath" thread???

Perhaps you should - many thanks

I'm not on about who won that race per se eljay, I'm once again raising the point that notably a couple of your contrymen agreed with as I recall, i.e. that your racing almost always involves virtually zero early pressure...at any time...ever...even in when they're going for the big $ in the GN Derby, something that was not at all difficult to predict days prior to the gate starting to roll & with the very obvious extension to such a line of thought being that if the Kiwi horses & drivers come over here and drive/race like that at Menangle, they'll get themselves crushed.

Incidentally, Posts #27 & #31 in that thread are worth a read too. :p

mango
03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
It won't take them long to adjust to how the races are run at menangle it will come down to if they handle it straight away.

aussiebreno
03-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Make the most of it triple as it happens but once a decade for you guys. As for kiwis going over your way ah.......just read the results.
You're right eljay the Met and ATC will be ones who will struggle to fill a quality field. As far as down my way there will be no impact at all other than what it already is and that our southern horses will end up in OZ as they should, being that is where the money is. Nothing better than seeing the Southern bred horses performing on a overseas stage.

Well yeah there is generally only 2 Inters a decade in NZ so the Aust horses hardly ever go over. Last NZ Inter and Sokyola was our best at that time but didnt handle the wrong way and really he would only be our 5th or 6th best if he was racing now. Granted Elsu was head and shoulders above anything but when he came over for the Miracle Mile it was a different story. 2 years beforehand Baltic Eagle and Mont Denver Gold quinellead it...doesnt say much for you guys. Before that it was Our Sir Vancelot. So two about to be three winners in the last 4 isnt bad.

mango
03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi Aussiebreno

I was there the night Elsu won and he was in the zone, i was luckily enough to be in the stables before the race and thats how i got my pic you see under my name. Your right it will be another win for the Aussies as where packing so much punch in this series compared to the Kiwis.

eljay
03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
there would be NO early pressure applied in the GN Derby...and surprise surprise there duly wasn't...that is REALLY funny. Many thanks.

mmmm - I seem to recall that Delight Brigade had a look right at the start and Ohoka Texas similarly with two rounds to go after circling 3 wide. In both instances Greg made it clear he was keeping the lead so why the hell would Neal or Butt push on at the risk of burning out their horses. All that could have done would be to burn out the leader too if he in fact didn't hand up and take the trail. I think if those two had continued to pressure Greg would have relented and then when other horse got to the lead, popped out and retaken the lead. But, hey, it's only speculation. But I think you have picked the wrong race to say everbody just sat back. The time the race was run in also suggests Greg would have lost the lead if he had backed off.

Don Corleone
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Aussiebreno,
I wasn't really talking about the Inter Doms but the rest of your races - derbies, Hunter cup, Vic cup, miracle miles, ladyship etc. Granted the Inters belong to you guys as it should - you have the horse population. We are not really the size of your states.
I would very surprised if you guys didn't take out the Inter's especially the trotting section as our trotters are a average bunch at the moment.

triplev123
03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
C'mon now eljay. 'having a look'???? That's not pressure, that's wandering up and politely inquiring. Pressure is Lance Justice style handlebars down and take no prisoners.

Don Corleone
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Have to kinda sorta agree with you to a point triple!! Lance had a drive on a out of form horse out this way once with a horse that could never do any work and Lance parked him. I think nearly everyone thought well that's that. Lance got it up run 2nd, paying $14.50 for the place. How do I remember? I punted it!!!! I do get annoyed when some of the drivers here waltz out of the gate. Having said that "you gotta have the horsepower"

triplev123
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
G'day Don C,

That's true but I wonder if some drivers really do know what their horses are capable of. I get really annoyed when drivers pigeon hole horses...when they get an idea in their head that this horse or that horse HAS to be driven in a certain way ALL the time.
You'll also hear Punters and Fans talk about certain horses as being one dimensional. In some instances it is true, that is indeed the case, but there are many more instances where the horses race one dimensionally because that is the way they're driven. Sometimes you can really give a horse a HUGE wake up call by changing it up on him/her. Instead of snagging off the gate as per normal you shake them up in the prelim. and then send them down the road off the arm...or instead of looking for a cosy 1x1 or 3 pegs trip, tip them to the outside early on & then go up and park outside of the leader. That has often been the key to so many NZ imports to Oz. Their basic racing pattern has become so ingrained that you need to change it up on them to get their attention again. If they always leave...snag them off and take one closing shot at the leaders. If they've been snagging off the gate over there then drop a good one on them and leave the gate hard. If they've always been driven with cover, pull and get forward to face the breeze. A lot of what is passed off as one dimensional is a mental thing with them (and their driver/s) , it is not in any way physical.

mango
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Triple

Your right about Lance Justice (Take No Prisioners) pressure he put on the other Drivers/horses, i myself reckon Lance should have a horse in every race to make thing's interesting.

eljay
03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
C'mon now eljay. 'having a look'???? That's not pressure, that's wandering up and politely inquiring. Pressure is Lance Justice style handlebars down and take no prisoners.

As I said, the pressure surely was there otherwise why such a time (Record) unless Greg can't judge pace which I don't think even you would buy. Anyway triplev thank god we don't have a Lance Justice handlebars exhibition every race or they would become just as boring. I for sure as hell wouldn't want any horse I owned run into the ground every time it entered a race. The driver would be replaced at an eyelids blink.

buster
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I thought sushi sushi broke the track record? So they were rolling

Kiwis don't come out of the gate hard because they get pressured through the first half whereas we in Aussie don't pressure much during the first half of the mile