PDA

View Full Version : First season sires

Gtrain
10-01-2013, 11:34 PM
What is everyone's selection for leading first season sire for the upcoming season? Some fairly interesting sires progeny hitting the track this season. Sportswriter, Art Official, Always a Virgin, Changeover, Mister Big, Shadow Play and Tell All just to name a few off my head.

aussiebreno
10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
What is everyone's selection for leading first season sire for the upcoming season? Some fairly interesting sires progeny hitting the track this season. Sportswriter, Art Official, Always a Virgin, Changeover, Mister Big, Shadow Play and Tell All just to name a few off my head.

False advertising.

Gtrain
10-02-2013, 12:05 AM
False advertising.

I was told in high school masturbation doesn't count....

mightymo
10-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Sportswriter got by far the best and biggest book of mares so would have to be $1.04 to win that award. I have heard only good things about his first crop.

Shadow Play has been an amazing success in his first season in Canada, but he has got about half the numbers of Sportswriter.

I also think Changeover will do a good job

Gtrain
10-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I have seen a couple of Sportswriters that look good and move well. Changeover on the other hand, I have seen three and two looked horrendous. Turned me right off him.

HISGEN65
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I am looking forward to seeing how Mister Big's youngens go

Triple V
10-03-2013, 02:32 AM

[VVV] I reckon Shadow Play & Sportswriter will both feature prominently. Both stallions are excellent types & leave similarly classy offspring. Have bred foals by both. Can't miss.
AAV should also get it done. He's a big, strong, great gaited horse & for not a whole lot of money. Grand dam was a star. Here in NSW I reckon he will do an Aces N Sevens style job +++.
Changeover's also a chance I guess. Have only seen one in a pic on the internet. Seemed ok to me?
Art Official & Mister Big...who knows? Quite happy to let someone else use their mares to find out.
Can't have Tell All at any price. He is a terrible sire. If I got given a free service I wouldn't take it. Even if someone paid me to take one I would still say no. Run away!!!!!!!

eliteblood
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Always A Virgin is a good option for breeders looking for a moderately priced sire. He was a very good racehorse and his grand dam was a very good filly. He is dominating the Illinois Sires Stakes results with his first two crops. That is a weak state but he is nevertheless displaying well above average siring ability.

As Harvey suggested, Sportswriter has been given a good shot and he will be disappointing if he does not finish well up in the sires earnings list.

Shadow Play's northern hemisphere results to date are impressive so his prospects are real (even though sons of The Panderosa have been pretty awful overall as sires)

ARTOFFICIAL
10-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Jaimie what has Tell All done to you? Was a super racehorse and he hasn't even had a runner here so he has done nothing wrong just yet. Why no love?? Bad experiences??

eliteblood
10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Always A Virgin is a good option for breeders looking for a moderately priced sire. He was a very good racehorse and his grand dam was a very good filly. He is dominating the Illinois Sires Stakes results with his first two crops. That is a weak state but he is nevertheless displaying well above average siring ability.

As Harvey suggested, Sportswriter has been given a good shot and he will be disappointing if he does not finish well up in the sires earnings list.

Shadow Play's northern hemisphere results to date are impressive so his prospects are real (even though sons of The Panderosa have been pretty awful overall as sires)

As a 2YO world record holder, winner of $1 million Metro Pace and $1.5 million North America Cup, Sportswriter's stands on his own.
If that's not enough, however, his 3/4 sister Precocious Beauty is now also a 2YO world record holder after recording her 7th win from 9 lifetime starts at The Red Mile on Friday.
Precocious Beauty is by Art Major. He just keeps producing good horses and is currently 2nd on the US 2YO sires table behind SBSW, the same position that he held at the end of the 2012 year.

Triple V
10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Jaimie what has Tell All done to you? Was a super racehorse and he hasn't even had a runner here so he has done nothing wrong just yet. Why no love?? Bad experiences??

[VVV] G'day Damien,
He has had his chance at stud in the USA & they're not much good.
From 197 foals of racing age across 3 crops his best horse (from this 1st crop, now 4yos) has won just over $180,000 & he has sired only 4 winners of in excess of $100,000. His fastest has paced 1:50.3 also as a 4yo and rounding out his Top 10 fastest performers is a 4yo who paced in 1:52.2.

Tangles
10-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Any one have any opinions on how Smiling Shard will go as a sire?

Does seem to come out of a good New Zealand family.

Triple V
10-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Any one have any opinions on how Smiling Shard will go as a sire?

Does seem to come out of a good New Zealand family.

[VVV] I saw him up live & up close yesterday at Alabar. My impressions were that he was a well put together, solidly built, good looking sort of a horse. Also seems to be a very willing, happy natured sort of a horse too...basically he looked very pleased just to be out & about & doing something. If he passes that sort of attitude to his foals...as a sire he will already be half way there.

Triple V
10-08-2013, 02:25 AM
I forgot to add, he's not overly big...I think 15 to maybe 15.1, but I don't think that matters a damn because he is quite a muscular & powerful type with it. The peanut gallery knock him for his size, I heard a few doing that yesterday, but that's obligatory, that's an inevitable. As per usual the knockers of sires for a lack of size are talking if not shouting out of their arse.
They either don't know or they simply choose to forget that many of the all-time greatest sires of the Standardbred Breed, the likes of Good Time, Big Towner, Albatross, Western Hanover & Abercrombie for example, were not big horses by any stretch of the imagination. Outstanding shuttle sire Bettor's Delight is not a big horse either & nor is Courage Under Fire, nor is Rock N Roll Heaven, who's first crop sold sensationally at Lexington last week.

HISGEN65
10-08-2013, 12:45 PM
there were several new 2yo's running in the edjo sessions at our local jump outs on Sunday...there were 2 TELL ALL's both were corkers especially one of them-awesome looking & put together animal - spectatular looking too black with loads of bling.
The best performed on the day was a MISTER BIG filly - a pretty thing nicely put together & very very quick & superbly gaited - she had impeckable manners also

ARTOFFICIAL
10-08-2013, 10:04 PM
[VVV] G'day Damien,
He has had his chance at stud in the USA & they're not much good.
From 197 foals of racing age across 3 crops his best horse (from this 1st crop, now 4yos) has won just over $180,000 & he has sired only 4 winners of in excess of $100,000. His fastest has paced 1:50.3 also as a 4yo and rounding out his Top 10 fastest performers is a 4yo who paced in 1:52.2.

Ok. Be interesting to see how he goes here.
I'm guessing you were the big guy with the VVV hat? Should have realized and come over for a chat. Any purchases?
All the best

Triple V
10-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Ok. Be interesting to see how he goes here.
I'm guessing you were the big guy with the VVV hat? Should have realized and come over for a chat. Any purchases?
All the best

[VVV] It could have been me, could also have been Nathan. I was the one with the brace on my knee who was as lame as a cat. I walked around all day looking for some Bute but there was none to be found. :( No purchases, had a chop at a couple but they went for more than we thought they would. Liked the Dream Away mare in foal to Mach Three. Very good type & good natured.

mightymo
10-09-2013, 12:49 PM
An appropriately named horse trials at Penrith tonight - "Making Headlines" is his name. He is a just turned 2yo by Sportswriter!

Coincidentally, I bred him and sold him at the Syd APG sales earlier this year!

I have no idea what ability he has but it is very unusual to see a 2yo at the trial this early into the season

Greg Hando
10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Not if you know the trainer Harvey always get's them up and running early no doubt setting him up for Leeton. If Ron Cooper can't get a 2yo running no-one will very good hand with the young one's.

eliteblood
10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
An appropriately named horse trials at Penrith tonight - "Making Headlines" is his name. He is a just turned 2yo by Sportswriter!

Coincidentally, I bred him and sold him at the Syd APG sales earlier this year!

I have no idea what ability he has but it is very unusual to see a 2yo at the trial this early into the season

A very well bred one too Harvey :)

mightymo
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
dam side is pretty good!:):)

Richard prior
10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Sportswriter is certainly all class and was outstanding on the track and comes from a great maternal family, so he is really set to shine this season. He has a fairly decent sized crop of 2yr olds set to hit the track and by all reports, they are outstanding. Always a Virgin is doing a very good job in the USA. His 1st crop hit the track last season and he had 40 odd 2yr old winners and has repeated the dose this season and his 2yr old winners now total 87 in his 2nd season, so he's really been consistent. Shadow Play's has 35 2yr old winners so far this season from his 1st crop, mostly racing in Canada and is also doing very good. Sportswriter really looks to be in a dominant position as he really has a good crop from some real good mares.

Richard prior
10-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Million Dollar Cam could be a stallion that shows up this season as well. In his 3yr old season, He won The Little Brown Jug easily in a field that included the outstanding Art Major & Mach Three. He hasn't really set the world on fire in the breeding barn in North America but has left 7 in the 1.50 club and it will be very interesting to see how his young ones fair on the track.