PDA

View Full Version : Here's one- 1st start 2yo winner at AP today

triplev123
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
American Legend. If he doesn't go on to much bigger & better things I'll eat my old Lawn Mowing Shoes. Some damned nice work there by Owner/Breeder Tony Price.

mango
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi Triple

Nice run and very green, i noticed he trialled the other day in 2.00.8. Once he learns what it's all about he should be a nice horse.

Love Of Courage
03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Hello Mango & Triplev123,

It's nice to hear the opinions of two very knowledgeable harness racing people. I really enjoy your posts and find them very thoughtful and I have learnt quite a few useful things.

I watched the reply of this horse and agree that it was a nice win. I remember talking to Tony price a few years ago and he seemed quite keen on American Ideal. I thought he had a very good pedigree with wicked gate speed and acceleration which is why I bred one of my mares to him. Unfortunately my American Ideal colt did not sell at the Brisbane APG sale so I will be watching this colt with interest.

mango
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Love of Courage

American Ideal done a great job with his first crop in the states and there's know reason he shouldn't do it out here, it may take a little longer out here as he has only served around 350 mare's in the southern hemisphere in his first 3yrs not sure how many live foals. I think things changed for him this year as he served around 100 Aus 100 Kiwi mare's. Unfortunately you didn't sell yours but hopefully taking him home turns out for the best. Keep us posted on how he is comming along.

mightymo
03-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Sue

it might be a good omen for you.

i took my American ideal to the Syd APG sales in 2010. he didnt sell either, and he is now called Grouse party House and will win plenty more than i was prepared to sell him for!

DAZZA
03-30-2011, 01:08 AM
American Legend went very nice, gate speed and than drops onto the bit beautifully and travels like a gem and has a nice sprint on him. Perfect little horse for this stage of his career.
Keep an eye on a nice colt by the name of STOUT. Ricky Thurlow has him. Trailed awesome today. Galloped in the score up, sat last, pulled, thurlow pulled him out could hardly hold him and went straight past a horse that has won a race already. Went to the line hard held. Nice little horse.

Love Of Courage
03-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Hello Mightymo,

Always enjoy your posts Mightymo !

Just added Grouse Party House to my AHRC Blackbook list and just downloaded his first win. Some very nice horses in the pedigree so should have some fun with him - Best Of Luck ! I belive American Ideal was the leading 1st season sire in the US last season so he should have some nice youngsters.

mango
03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Hi Love of Courage

Yes American Ideal was the leading 1st season sire and also 2min percentage sire with his horses mainly racing on New Yorks half mile tracks.

Don Corleone
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
American Legend. If he doesn't go on to much bigger & better things I'll eat my old Lawn Mowing Shoes. Some damned nice work there by Owner/Breeder Tony Price.

I think your lawn mowing shoes are safe Triple. Looks a nice sort and bound to go on with it.

triplev123
03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I was taken by his gait and really handy speed that colt of Tony's has. If you watch him closely throughout the race to give a little bit of seperation he has to be gathered up a piece by his driver & gentley checked off the helmet of the guy on the lead at least a half dozen times and yet in half a stride and the blink of an eye he is right back up there again. Seemed to do it so easily. I'd love to see him loose on the lead at Menangle over a Mile. That colt has a 1.54-1.55 mile in him, no question in my mind. The grapevine says they have another one in the wings btw. Shannon trained a treble from 3 starters yesterday. I think it was a 2yo and 2 x 3yos.

triplev123
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
American Ideal's US book went Full & Closed on Monday btw.

triplev123
03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Hello Mango & Triplev123,

It's nice to hear the opinions of two very knowledgeable harness racing people. I really enjoy your posts and find them very thoughtful and I have learnt quite a few useful things.

Cheers LOC.
That's an undeserved wrap but whatever knowledge that I do have is hard won, it cost me both considerable time & way too much money but you are more than welcome to it.
I'd much rather be around horses than I would the vast majority of people I know...& so that makes it significantly easier to gloss over the time & $. :p
If I had to pinpoint one aspect, the single biggest thing I have learnt is to always trust your gut instinct because more often than not it will be proven right both in the medium to longer term and sometimes much, much sooner. I don't see it as being much different to shopping for clothes or for a car or looking around for a new house. Your first reaction is your best.
Incidentally, here are a couple of examples of how far wrong some people can be and so how trusting your gut instict ultimately sticks with you.
Back when he first went to stud and was available here in Oz at $4,400 via Transported Semen, I was sure CC would be a terrific sire, unlike a certain HRNZ Journo who's job it is to cover matters breeding. He boldy stated before his first crop had even hit the track that QUOTE [Christian Cullen fillies are dogs, if not fleas]. In the years following he showed that he had not learnt his lesson by stating post Bettor's Delight's first crop selling at the NZ Sales that QUOTE [Bettor's Delight is finished as a commercial sire, though he never really started] Now it's worth noting that old mate lined up on 2 of the greatest sires to ever have stood at stud in NZ and that old mate...who incidentally is paid to observe & make informed comment on such things, instead found himself to be the Cello Player in a Marching Band. :rolleyes: Ain't life just grand sometimes? :p