PDA

View Full Version : Blackie draws 2 - rest of Aussies draw poorly for both Inter Dominion Grand Finals

Duane Ranger
04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
"It's a conspiracy," joked the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club's chief executive officer, Shane Gloury. The former Aussie made that light hearted comment to Harnesslink after all of the Australians - barring four time champion Blacks A Fake - copped bad draws at the 2011 Inter Dominion barrier draw harness racing function held at Alexandra Park tonight (Monday April 4).

Read the full story here.....

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88321

eljay
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Well, sorry Shane but they drew their own positions! Duanne - in what order were the draws made ? Alphabetical? Most qualifying points? Visitors first?

Duane Ranger
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Eljay;

Top qualifier had the first draw. Bottom qualifer had the last marble.

Duane.

Mighty Atom
04-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I made a statement on a previous blog that the only Aussie in the two heats that did not have a good draw was Blacks A Fake and where does he draw in the final - 2. Smoken Up also has a good draw - how many favours does this horse want ? I don't care if they did draw their barriers themselves, I'm still suspicious. However, I do not begrudge Blackie's good draw and good luck to him in the final.

nat
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Here here Mighty Atom love to see a 5 times winner by his name

Mighty Atom
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Nat, It would be nice to see Blacky win for the horse and Natalie because she's such a gracious and humble person. I hope I'm wrong but I fear he might not run a place. I think the winner will come from Smoken Up or Mr Feelgood. Unfortunately ITMQ has got a "snowball's chance in hell" from that horror draw.

Flashing Red
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Blacks A Fake by this weekend would have run in 6 Interdoms - and led in 5!

Ziggy
04-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Blacks A Fake by this weekend would have run in 6 Interdoms - and led in 5!

Blackie gets the nice draws in the finals thats for sure, still an amazing animal though.

Blacks a fake Interdominion Draws
2006 no 3 Tasmania ,
2007 no 8 Globe Derby,
2008 no 6 Victoria
2009 no 1 Gold Coast
2010 no 3 Menangle

Village Kid
04-06-2011, 03:44 AM
I know he didn't lead in Sydney last year or here in Adelaide in 2007 , made a move about a lap and a quarter from home and got to the death very easily, I really thought McCarthy on BGJ wouldn't give the death up at that stage of the race. Teriffic drive by Rasmussen.

In fact all 5 drives have been spot on - how about in Melbourne when she forced Lance to concede the lead! How often does that happen?

Mighty Atom
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I can visualise Blacks A Fake leading but in no way holding it . I think this time the lead is Smoken Ups for the taking. Blacks a Fake going to the lead Smoken Up moving through and Natalie handing up to Lance and there they sit 1 & 2.

Gtrain
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I still think that the draw for an interdom, especially one ran with three heats, should be chosen by the trainers in order of qualifying. Most points picks their barrier first, second gets second pick and so on. Makes the heats a more interesting process also. Rewards consistency and effort. Sure we may have a shorter favourites than normal but certainly the best three or four horses will all definately have their chance.

mango
04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Blacks A Fake will be very hard to beat from there, i seen him is the stabling area after the race and Nat said he pulled up great. The other horse i had a good look at was Mr Feelgood and he also handled the run good and i don't think the back line will be to bad for him.

triplev123
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm walking away from the favoured crew and backing the upset in this one and I think it's going to be Smiling Shard. There was so much to like about his effort last time out, I bet it topped him off nicely & evens that Cran will have him asolutely Cherry for his assignment.
One thing I will say though, old mate BAF has A WHOLE LOT more gate speed than anyone ever seems to give him credit for.

Village Kid
04-07-2011, 02:59 AM
I can visualise Blacks A Fake leading but in no way holding it . I think this time the lead is Smoken Ups for the taking. Blacks a Fake going to the lead Smoken Up moving through and Natalie handing up to Lance and there they sit 1 & 2.

Wow thats a big call Mighty Atom, I'd be stunned if Natalie handed up under any cicrucmstances..Smoken Up leads he just wins. I think Blacks a Fak will lead, and Lance will be happy to sit parked and control the race from the death.

I remember my namesake Village Kid handing up the lead in the 1985 Inters to Preux Chevalier, the next time he handed up the lead was (begrudgingly) to Westburn Grant in the 1990 WA Pacing Cup. It sort of signified the end of an era, the passing of the torch, like an acceptance that Willie was no longer the top dog...I just can't see BAF willing to hand up his crown just yet. He might not win, but he'll lead all the same (in my humble opinion.)

mango
04-07-2011, 06:58 AM
I don't think Nat/B.A.F will hand up to Lance and Smoken Up, when looking at B.A.F runs they have been super and he is getting better each time going this way and Nat said it will take a couple of run's to get him to peak fitness again and use to this way of going. I don't think people are giving this horse enough credit in this series.

tyson
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Blacks a fake to lean and Smiling Shard to sprint over the top some how!!!!

triplev123
04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I think Smiling Shard improved a heap from the 1st round of Heats to the 2nd round and if he improves as much again for the Final he will be right in it...and @ no less than $17 fixed odds NSWTAB. Maybe he can be secured for an even better price elsewhere? Probably can but I haven't looked.

Mighty Atom
04-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Village kid, you could very well be right. I was thinking BAF handing up to Smoken Nat gets a lovely cart up and knowing that at some stage Mr Feelgood is going to make a move to put a bit of pressure on SU. Blacky doesn't spend a penny and gets the last crack at both of them via the sprint lane. There again it could leave them all sitting ducks if TMQ isn't to far back in running. Nothing like being a lounge chair driver.

Mighty Atom
04-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi triplev,

I had picked Smiling Shard to run second in my early tips but by gee you'd have to be an intrepid punter to back something to beat the four main Aussie chances.

admin
04-08-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm curious as to how everybody thinks TMQ factors into all this. You folks don't think he can get there from that draw?

aussiebreno
04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm curious as to how everybody thinks TMQ factors into all this. You folks don't think he can get there from that draw?

If BAF hands up than Smoken Up should be winning. If BAF holds out than ITMQ should be winning imo. ITMQ deserved favourite though and the best horse in the race; just needs better than average luck but if he gets it he is head and shoulders above anything else atm. Devastating sprint

nat
04-08-2011, 01:30 AM
He is the horse to beat he has won with ease from 3 back on the rail one out with a trail and from the back of the pack he has now come of age. They are not going to walk in this race and that would be his only fear for mine

nat
04-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Would love for Blacky or Smoken Up but ITMQ is going a treat and should win.

mightymo
04-08-2011, 01:40 AM
BAF cannot win unless she hands up to Smoken Up. Tah\\hat is her best chance. Otherwise SU will attack and attack and set it up for Mr F or ITMQ.

I am pretty confident she will hand up

nat
04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi Mightymo

Its hard to judge as we have never seen Blacky in this way never would you have thought of Blacky handing up until several month ago and his health issues. I would think she will hold the lead and I think Smoken Up or Mr Feelgood would be happy to cruise in the death without pressuring for the lead that might cost them if Nat doesn't want to make it easy. There are allot of questions has Nat been foxing she has not gone out to make any statements on the track he hasn't been flogged during the series what will happen ??? Its going to be one hell of a final one for the age I hope

Pacers Final

ITMQ (That high speed sprint makes him a danger from anywhere any position)
Blacks A Fake (Coming right at the best time and top draw, 3 wide last week must have run a 55 half and was storming home after being stalled by Washakie)
Smoken Up (Possibly the best conditioned horse in the southern hemisphere for the level of racing)
Mr Feelgood (Should have a broken heart after getting wind chill from ITMQ last week always a chance hasn't been knocked around in the heats can win from anywhere)

Trotters Final

Let Me Thru (What else can you say about this horse he just knows how to win)
Sovereignty (Disappointing last race has best of draws to make a race of it)
Stylish Monarch (Consistent and good draw)

triplev123
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi triplev,

I had picked Smiling Shard to run second in my early tips but by gee you'd have to be an intrepid punter to back something to beat the four main Aussie chances.

As silly as it sounds I don't tend to consider the odds to any great degree when I bet. I just do it on gut feeling. I think 2 or 3 of them might well cut each other up early on and continue through the middle stages & that'll leave them wide-open in the stretch. Evens Lance gets himself forward early and pounds Nat if she holds up & I think she will lead & hold because she really has no other reasonable option. If she lets Lance Smoken Up go she gives away all hope of a BAF Fairytale. At this stage of his career I don't think he can take a cover trip and sit sprint them ala ITMQ, so BAF has to lead and to be a real winning chance...and as I said, it's no risk that Lance is coming, you can bet on that like the Sun rising in the East and setting in the West. I think it'll be a knock down drag out race & that's why my quinella is going to be Smiling Shard & ITMQ...I'm not brave enough to try an Exacta in that order. :p

Village Kid
04-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Oops..think I said "I just can't see BAF willing to hand up his crown just yet. He might not win, but he'll lead all the same (in my humble opinion)"
Apologies Mighty Atom, you were 100% correct!!!

Things were looking good, I had Stylish Monarch place only at $3.20 in the Trotters Final, and Mr Feelgood $6.50 and $2.00 in the Pacers Final, basing that on his ability to get to the breeze first, then hand up to Smoken Up and get the perfect 1:1 cover for the last mile...was prematurely patting myself on the back with a lap and a half to go, then Smoken Up strolled to the front. Race over.

Great race all the same, a well deserved victory for Lance and Smoken Up, big effort to hold off Imthemghtyquinn gallant in defeat, and congratulations to Natalie Rasmussen and Blackie, 4 wins and 2 placing in 6 Grand Finals...remarkable. Obviously not the Blackie of old, but gallant as always. 1, 2 3 Aussies.

Hope others read the race better than I did!!

Village Kid
04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
btw just watching the beginning of the race a couple of times and ITMQ landed in a good spot around midfield..looks like Gary Hall Jnr may have been responsible for 2 horses galloping in the process.

Be interesting to see what others think.

Flashing Red
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Blackie is really begining to wind down - 12 months ago he sat 3 wide the last lap at Menangle to win. I guess it was inevitable that he would wind down in the end - its just after his last Interdom win I thought he would have still been quite dominant for at least another 12 months. Well done to Lance and Trigger, a well deserved win regardless :)

Don Corleone
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I was happy I decided to go up for the final. Great Feild, great race and great result. Well Done Lance and Trigger. Actually found myself cheering for them as they closed on the line. Now I have to go all the way to Perth next year.........Bring it on.