PDA

View Full Version : One to watch

tyson
04-05-2011, 03:58 AM
I headed down to Pinjarra for their meeting today. Nice little filly by the name of Siena Franco ran a good race in front while being too tough for Go West U Terror.

I know i will be adding her to my blackbook

Don Corleone
04-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Tyson,
Siena Franco comes from solid Wayne Francis breed. All the progeny run. Good luck with it, hope you make a dollar or two.

triplev123
04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
G'day Don C,

It's interesting the way some lines wake up again and the way in which some fire in NZ but not in Oz etc. because a fair slab of that damline has been in hibernation for a while, at least here in Oz anyway.

It first appeared here in the late 1950's/early 1960's, courtesy of the great one himself, Edgar Tatlow, who imported the 1949 foaled U.Scott mare Tui Scott in order to be bred to his (at the time) new sire, Meadow Vance. In 1970 she became the dam of Don't Retreat, though by then Tatlow had long since sold out of her. Don't Retreat's breeder, the late Barry Rose, then embarked on a program of finishing off that branch of the family for good by way of breeding it to a list of eminent sires such as Koarakau, Forrest Trillium, Syncopation, Awesam and Flight Laag. :p

The branch you're talking about here though is the immediate family of Stormy Pat and also of her full sister, Eva Thor, who was a very, very good racemare for the late John Binskin. I'm pretty sure that Eva Thor was bred here in NSW by Mr. & Mrs. Wise, owners of the long defunct Carlton Stud at Picton, which is out past Menangle and to the South West of Sydney.
At stud Eva Thor did bugger all, it was the classic good racemare ordinary broodmare scenario (though to be fair Overtrick, Young Dancer and Skipper's Salute were always going to be hard for her to overcome)..and after 4 foals she was purchased by Wayne Francis from a bloke by the surname of Coles (a client/mate of JB's) and shipped to NZ. At or around the same time Francis must have also purchased her full sister Stormy Pat.

The one Oz bred daughter of Eva Thor left foaled nothing of merit and in turn her 4 filly foals, only 2 of which were named, also did nothing.
The half & full sisters to Eva Thor that remained here have basically faired little better to date, it has become a wasteland of a family here in Oz over the last 20-25 years or so...though a great grand daughter by the name of Karalta Cheri left a very good one in Hunter Cup winner About To Rock.

On the other hand, the 'also exported' Stormy Pat, her daughters & her grand daughters have obviously done well in NZ. :confused:

Don Corleone
04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
That takes me back Triple. What you say is correct. Stormy Pats progeny have left a slight mark over here in NZ. I remember her first foal (i think) was Seaswift Franco who was trained by Jack Smolenski. I am sure she would've been better on the race track but she kept running into Blossom Lady in a lot of the filly and mare races. Another of her foals was Three Little Pigs that was as tough as teak. The line from Stormy Pat are always about over here and you could probably look at most race meetings and find something running around going back to her. I actually bid on one of her grandsons once at the sales, it was by OK Bye.