PDA

View Full Version : Breeding trotters to pacers and vice versa

sdog
04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
can it be done, has it been done, and has it failed or succeeded on the whole?????

mango
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
La Coocaracha was bred to be a pacer she is by Safely Kept out of Poetry but turned out to be a champion trotting mare winning $428k, Safely Kept has thrown a number of trotters out of pacing mare's. Take a look at her breeding as she has 3 live foals by trotting stallions and also 3 live foals by pacing stallions. I couldn't tell you if it has succeeded or not i just thought you could have a look at her breeding and foals as an example.

sdog
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks mango, i am from a galloping background and on the whole pacers look very closely related, it would be great to get some off that different blood that the trotting sire and mares offer......

Don Corleone
04-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey sdog (love the name), yes you can. I had a trotting mare that I bred to pacing and she had 5 foals - all winners............which leads me to think why I haven't done it more often. Good luck.

Greg Hando
04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
sdog look back through Christian Cullen's breeding a lot of good trotter's back in it

Neil
04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
we had a Sundon out of the grandmother of Cullen - the year before our sales purchase they got $80k+ for I think a falcon and we purchased the Sundon for $9k. Yes fammily of True Roman but not a commecially smart decision.

PS the Sundon didn't win a real race - only 1 2yo non tote.