PDA

View Full Version : Smoken up - positive swab...

mightymo
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
From HRNZ:

Post Race Irregularity

The New Zealand Racing Laboratory Services has advised the Racing Integrity Unit of an irregularity in the urine sample taken from the horse SMOKEN UP following its first placing in Race 8, Sky City Inter Dominion Pacing Championship Grand Final at the New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club’s meeting at Alexandra Park on Friday 8th April 2011.

RIU Officials are conducting inquiries.

SMOKEN UP is trained by Lance Justice.

mango
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Mightymo

I just read that in my private e-mails and thought it was a gee up, would like to know what the irregularity is.

tell it like it is
04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Dmso...

Duane Ranger
04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88697

triplev123
04-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Fellas, I find it more than a bit curious that DMSO is said to be the culprit here & that the presence of same has apparently only showed up in post race testing. That in itself leads me to believe that if present then it is there in such minute amounts as to be completely pharmacologically inactive.
I say this only because 9 times out of 10 if any horse has been treated even remotely close to race time...you can smell them from 40ft away. Nothing else smells like DMSO. The odour is unmistakeable.
That then raises the question of testing for certain substances being so sensitive that it picks up drugs/chemicals that are, as I said above, not pharmacologically active and therefore, by definition, cannot be said to be performance enhancing.

buster
04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
lance was properly using it on his shoulder he damaged flogging the horse the week before

- does it smell when injected or only tubing

triplev123
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
It smells regardless Buster. Drench it, inject it, rub it on their legs as the carrying agent in a linament, you simply can't mistake it.
If you inject it the stuff comes out through their skin like a big meal of Garlic Prawns & Beer does to a human the following day only with DMSO it is almost instant. Get it on your hands and you can immediately taste it in your mouth. Awful sulphur/burned garlic type of a pong.

mango
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Buster

Yeah it does smell both ways and Triple is right but i'd go as far to add another 20 ft on his 40ft. I've used it a fair bit on young horses splints but i use the roll on for that and if i have a horse with a bad virus i tube them with it as it get's rid of the virus 5 times quicker than anything else but after tubing them they need 5 day's off work i should i rephrase that and say i need 5 day's away from them as the smell is terrible. They tell me trainers use to mix it with lemon juice as it kept the smell to a minimal.

Flashing Red
04-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I use it as a carrier in linaments and haven't found the horses to smell after using it on their legs, personally. But any other way, yes.

Mighty Atom
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Could have been the reason why Lance was unusually subdued and humble.