PDA

View Full Version : APG Round 2 what do we think?

sdog
04-30-2011, 02:03 AM
It's going to be a great final for mine, how does this crop rate to other years?

Maorisidol
04-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Fly Like an Eagle most impressive, and fastest.
Gamechanger good of course but didnt seem as good as last week i didnt think,
the runs of Macca Kelly and Black Caprice were huge. If Macca was closer to leader throughout he would have won.
Soho Valencia cruised, wasnt pushed out to maximum.

Zipper
04-30-2011, 02:21 AM
I agree Fly Like an Eagle deserves to be favourite. Gamechanger was good and did it easy, Macca Kelly would never have beaten him. Valencia good but not sure he can go with the other two. Liked the run of Mr Nickel, he will be a good each way bet in the final with Magix Bliss. If the Eagle and Gamechanger draw the front row it will be a 2 horse race!

Maorisidol
04-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Macca gave Gamechanger at least 20m head start from the 400m and only lost by 3!!!!
Magic Bliss also very good tough run!

Zipper
04-30-2011, 03:26 AM
JDP was only keeping Gamechangers mind on the job anf he was laying in a bit. Macca Kelly was entitled to run on given his run in the race. Macca was an excellent effort but he is not in the same class as Gamechanger or Fly Like an Eagle. Gamechanger will be a superstar 3yo when he matures!!

mango
04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Fly Like an Eagle, Gamechanger both very nice runs. I thought the run of Magic Bliss was super and the thing i liked most about it is he fought to the line not once did he give up.

aussiebreno
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
The run of Macca Kelly has actually made the think Soho Valencia will be a great crack in the final. Macca Kelly got owned by Desirable Guy at Wagga a month back and Desirable Guy is a length or two behind Soho Valencia meaning Macca Kelly is well behind yet Macca Kelly got that close to Gamechanger.

montana
04-30-2011, 11:56 AM
its going to be a very competitive final , away from the winners i was very impressed by Magic Bliss and Black Caprice both horses did it tough in fast times a number of horses have really come ahead through this series and nice to see it wont by any means be a one act affair. its really hard to split Fly Like an Eagle and Gamechanger pre barrier draw but i think i would be leaning towards Fly like an Eagle as Gamechanger still seems a bit immature and has done things wrong in his races , i think he will be a superstar 3 year old also. like most races its going to come down to barrier draw and there could be 5 or 6 real chances.

sdog
04-30-2011, 12:07 PM
i agree the draw will determine the main chances next week.

Gamechanger looks to be maturing all the time outside of the laying in last night he seemed to have improved his manners.....

mightymo
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
I thought Magic Bliss was the best run of the night. Makes you think Scandalman is pretty bloody good as he sat outside magic Bliss last week and brained him!

Black Caprice also very good, but doesnt make the final.

I might be biased, but if the Eagle draws the front, i think he just wins!

Termite
04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Does anybody know the track record for a 2YO at Tabcorp Park Melton. 1:55:9 is absolutely flying. I'd love to know if they've gone faster. Magic Bliss was huge but I just cannot see any scenario in which the eagle can't win. He's so versatile that he can put himself in the race from anywhere and over a mile I think he is invincible amongst these APG colts.

aussiebreno
04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Anybody got a list of the qualifiers?

DAZZA
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Magic Bliss is just getting better and better with every run. Big hope in the final. Soho Valencia did it so easily, I think hes the one to beat before barrier draws but if Fly Like An Eagle can draw better than him he might have his measure.

Termite
04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
In order of points by my calculations: Gamechanger 30, Soho Valencia 30, Fly Like An Eagle 30, Medal of Honour 26, Mr Nickel 26, Magic Bliss 26, Exciteusinthecity 26, Macca Kelly 24, Desirable Guy 24, Teniamo 24, Hes Magic Red 23, Braeview Rhythm 23. Happy to be corrected on those figures. One of Braeview Rhythm or Hes Magic Red will be ballotted out and into Emerg. They both have a 1st and a 5th in the series, so will be just crossing fingers I would think.

Termite
04-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Looking further at the list of 12, it is interesting to note that 10 different sires are represented. I reckon that's great!

mightymo
04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
There are only 10 final, so both Braeview Rhythm and Hes Magic Red are emergencies with a ballot to decide who is first(they both had the same points)

Termite
04-30-2011, 02:00 PM
G'day Mighty Mo. Given you bred Hes Magic Red, I'm sure you've done your homework on that ruling. Clause 7.1 of the APG conditions for the series say that "The finals shall comprise the maximum number of Starters and Emergancy Starters permitted by the controlling Board or Authority". I know they run 2yo races at Tabcorp Park with fields of 11. Are you saying that for the final this will include the Emerg??

mightymo
04-30-2011, 02:09 PM
im just going on the fillies series where there are 10 starters in the final - im pretty certain it is always 10 in the final

remington
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM
The run of Macca Kelly has actually made the think Soho Valencia will be a great crack in the final. Macca Kelly got owned by Desirable Guy at Wagga a month back and Desirable Guy is a length or two behind Soho Valencia meaning Macca Kelly is well behind yet Macca Kelly got that close to Gamechanger.

looking at the times last night though and how far back macca kelly came im prepared to say he is a better horse then desirable guy and the time last night showed it, the race at wagga he was still abit green now that he has learnt what it is about hes going stop. with a decent draw im sure bernie and bruce expect him in the top 4 (i know they rate him rather highly) not saying that soho valencia wont be up there but the times they went and the runs they had i dont believe soho's heat was that good.

Zipper
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Definitely 11 starters with 1 additional emerg.

I would have the market pre barrier draw as:

$1.8 Fly Like An Eagle
$2.75 Gamechanger
$4 Soho Valencia
$5 Mr Nickel
$15 Medal of Honour
$15 Magic Bliss
$21 Macca Kelly
Forget the rest.....

Purdon's filly is a moral in the Fillies race tonight also.

aussiebreno
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
looking at the times last night though and how far back macca kelly came im prepared to say he is a better horse then desirable guy and the time last night showed it, the race at wagga he was still abit green now that he has learnt what it is about hes going stop. with a decent draw im sure bernie and bruce expect him in the top 4 (i know they rate him rather highly) not saying that soho valencia wont be up there but the times they went and the runs they had i dont believe soho's heat was that good.
So a two seperate races show Macca Kelly is better than Desirable Guy yet the race they were in together doesnt. Righteo. Ive actually heard they dont rate any of their current stable; this bloke included and I could tell trackside Bernie was happy/suprised he won his first start; this from a guy who rarely shows positive emotion let alone in a $3000 race at Wagga. Only going 2.05 and getting mown down mind you. Soho Valencia cant do much more than win; Im sure he could have ran 1.56 if burnt a gut if the driver didnt look after him or another good horse was in it. If Soho Valencia draws to lead I will have no hesitation in tipping him to win.

Zipper
05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
The final just got whole lot more interesting after the barrier draw.

Mr Nickel in 3
Gamechanger in 5
Magic Bliss in 8
Soho Valencia in 9
Fly Like An Eagle in 10

Gamechanger would just about have to be favourite with that draw. I still think the Eagle can win, just going to do it a bit tough!!

aussiebreno
05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Dont like Magic Bliss but the other 4 and also the pole for a place look to trifecta.....not that Im making a big statement by saying that as boxing them all up would probably result in a loss.

sdog
05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Gamchanger will be winning for mine!!!!!!!

triplev123
05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree. From (5) it'll be JDP & Gamechanger at the wire.

aussiebreno
05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
How do you get a job at HRV? Seriously, I want one. They can afford suits so they must pay ok and the works easy. 3 people to conduct a barrier draw!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi-X_lKYHV4&feature=channel_video_title

montana
05-04-2011, 09:48 PM
after the draw i like.

1. fly like an eagle
2. exciteusinthecity
3. magic bliss

Zipper
05-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm starting to lean towards Gamechanger after the draw. The Eagle is the best horse in the race but from the draw Gamechanger will lead comfortably and The Eagle is going to need a nice cart into the race to run him down. I reckon his (Gamechanger) 1.54.7 record might go tomorrow night.....

Can't rule out Magic Bliss or Soho Valencia if they get the right run either. Not overly fussed about Mr Nickel anymore, after reviewing his form he will be a better 3yo.

aussiebreno
05-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Has anyone noticed a return of the colts?
For so long I reckon 90% of the boys (just a general observation feel free to disagree) get cut but the APG final tomorow is dominated by colts.

aussiebreno
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
And in a cruel twist of irony tell me which horse cost the other $47500 while Soho Valencia also ran third.

aussiebreno
05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Dont like Magic Bliss but the other 4 and also the pole for a place look to trifecta.....not that Im making a big statement by saying that as boxing them all up would probably result in a loss.

Magic Bliss showed me up. Good run.

Congrats Mr Nickel the '2nd stringer'. Had the good run but he just demolished them!

mango
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi Aussiebreno

Mr Nickel went super and Greg Sugars drove him a treat, i've liked Magic Bliss since he was broke in my mate broke him in and his half brother Magic Operative. When looking at Magic Bliss's run's so far to date he doesn't mind doing a bit of work and can sprint as well so he will pick up some nice race's along the way. You must give Mark Purdon credit for comming over to the APG sale's and picking a couple of yearling's out Mr Nickel/Fly Like an Eagle/Im Living The Dream to date between them they have won approx $300k for an outlay of around $103k so that's a great return. I'm not sure of the top of my head if he purchased any other's that year but he could've. It was also great to see Desirable Guy pick up 4th place and a nice check for my mate Les from the Rock who is a great bloke and who doesn't normally race colt's as he normally sell's them at the sale's but this one was passed in.

aussiebreno
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi Aussiebreno

Mr Nickel went super and Greg Sugars drove him a treat, i've liked Magic Bliss since he was broke in my mate broke him in and his half brother Magic Operative. When looking at Magic Bliss's run's so far to date he doesn't mind doing a bit of work and can sprint as well so he will pick up some nice race's along the way. You must give Mark Purdon credit for comming over to the APG sale's and picking a couple of yearling's out Mr Nickel/Fly Like an Eagle/Im Living The Dream to date between them they have won approx $300k for an outlay of around $103k so that's a great return. I'm not sure of the top of my head if he purchased any other's that year but he could've. It was also great to see Desirable Guy pick up 4th place and a nice check for my mate Les from the Rock who is a great bloke and who doesn't normally race colt's as he normally sell's them at the sale's but this one was passed in.
Always good to know the stories/people behind the horses in the big races.

Just looked at the results. The stewards queried Fly Like An Eagles run. Yeah they are really going to pull him up in a 300K race!!!

remington
05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
ok Aussiebreno ur right desirable guy went fantastic and a tiring macca kelly most likely cost him 3rd place, great to see norm jerrick once again have a handy youngster.

triplev123
05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, would you believe that I missed the race, work was full-on, but watched the replays when I got home. M. Purdon has pulled a classic 'Gai Waterhouse'...with the lesser fancied stablemate saluting. ;) Congrats to Mr Nickel's breeder, John Bagshaw.
Greg Sugars...BIG race driver, no question, great hands & timing, seems to always have his horses in a position where they can win, gives them a chance to star. Reminds me of John Campbell at the peak of his powers. Good effort Magic Bliss too and charging into the back of a wall of horses at the end there looked like Medal Of Honour (a good effort from an outside back line draw)

Zipper
05-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Not sure what to make of this race other than the winner was great. Isn't it interesting how horses can improve in 2 or 3 runs!!

Fly Like An Eagle was disappointing, he seemed to over race early and didn't run on. Gamechanger looked a moral going down the back but was on empty on the turn, possibly racing with issues and has now been found out?? Disappointing as well. Soho Valencia was unlucky and Magic Bliss honest as always.

I wonder if they will back the Eagle up in NZ or send him for a spell.... Mighty Mo any inside mail there?

mightymo
05-09-2011, 12:43 AM
No Sure Zipper. Prior to the race, the plan was for him to race in the Jewels, and then possibly come back for the Breeders Crown.

I do think he went below his best on fri, but IMO the drive was VERY ordinary.

mango
05-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Fly Like An Eagle will bounce back i don't think they have much to worry about, i agree with Mightymo the drive was very poor i'd even say sub standard.