PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Blaster

Gtrain
08-14-2014, 03:25 PM
What are everyones thoughts re Caribbean Blasters future breeding career?

I fear that with the service fee placed on him he may end up another For a Reason. A horse with amazing speed, good looks and well above average pedigree however a book of broodmares that will not possess the quality or quantity required to give him a chance. I would love to send one to him however at the $2750 it seems to me that there are some better performed and more proven sires not too much further into the sky rocket. These are just my thougths and im interested to hear others....

trish
08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Like him but I think the price is too high. We got a sire who had his 1st group 1 winner at BC day cheaper than that who is doing a great job. But still I hope he does well at stud . He's a top horse.

Triple V
08-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Like all of them...he will either have what it takes or he will not.
Christian Cullen kicked off at $4,400 and the peanut gallery lined up six deep to declare him overpriced and that he would be another Popular Alm.
Cullen duly served small initial books of mixed quality mares both here in AUS and in NZ & despite it all he overcame, producing some outstanding horses right from the jump in both countries. Similarly, on debut via frozen semen Bettor's Delight got both NZ 2yo colt and 2yo filly of the year from just 23? foals along with some very handy performers here in AUS.
Opportunity i.e. lesser mare quality and small initial crop numbers only ever stop sires of otherwise moderate ability themselves. Really good stallions just get it done, regardless.
Blaster is such a lovely horse. Great to see Alabar continually giving the local bred stallions their shot at the title.

Danno
08-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Nine lines to say absolutely nothing! bonza contribution!

CB far too pricey, first up IMO.

lovely horse who should make the grade as a sire in this part of the world, but as already mentioned, so far unproven.

Triple V
08-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Nine lines to say absolutely nothing! bonza contribution!

CB far too pricey, first up IMO.

lovely horse who should make the grade as a sire in this part of the world, but as already mentioned, so far unproven.

Ahuh. Get yourself a free Mr. Feelgood then Dan.
Or is that too dear?
Maybe the Studs could pay you to breed to their horse?
There's a concept.

Greg Hando
08-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Well said Jamie.

Danno
08-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Well said Jamie.

???? spoken like a well educated? school teacher!!

The comment was about CB's fee being IMO too high for an unproven sire, Sorry Jamie, I would not waste a mares' year for ANY stallion by Grin in this part of the world, even if it is a freebie, have a look at Grins' percentages and then have a deeper look at the mares he got here in Australia.

If you think breedinf is about believing the marketiing being thrown at you then keep on truckin!!

Greg Hando
08-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Like all of them...he will either have what it takes or he will not.
Christian Cullen kicked off at $4,400 and the peanut gallery lined up six deep to declare him overpriced and that he would be another Popular Alm.
Cullen duly served small initial books of mixed quality mares both here in AUS and in NZ & despite it all he overcame, producing some outstanding horses right from the jump in both countries. Similarly, on debut via frozen semen Bettor's Delight got both NZ 2yo colt and 2yo filly of the year from just 23? foals along with some very handy performers here in AUS.
Opportunity i.e. lesser mare quality and small initial crop numbers only ever stop sires of otherwise moderate ability themselves. Really good stallions just get it done, regardless.
Blaster is such a lovely horse. Great to see Alabar continually giving the local bred stallions their shot at the title.

Referring to this post Dan and not a school teacher by any stretch of the imagination.

Triple V
08-18-2014, 09:11 AM
???? spoken like a well educated? school teacher!!

The comment was about CB's fee being IMO too high for an unproven sire, Sorry Jamie, I would not waste a mares' year for ANY stallion by Grin in this part of the world, even if it is a freebie, have a look at Grins' percentages and then have a deeper look at the mares he got here in Australia.

If you think breedinf is about believing the marketiing being thrown at you then keep on truckin!!

VVV- To put some perspective on your assertion that $2,750 is too high a debut fee for an unproven sire, how about going through the current AUS 2yo, 3yo and Aged sires lists...noting the debut fees of each? They were virtually all unproven sires prior to becoming available here. It will be an interesting exercise/reality check.
As for marketing...I'm yet to see anything relating to CB that isn't right on the mark. I was at the Melbourne APG the day Rob/Andy/Alan chanced their arm and purchased him for 70k I think it was. He had sireline, he had depth of family and believe it or not he was purchased with the intention of a stud career should he prove to be a good enough. They said exactly that at the time. He was a lovely yearling colt and grew into a terrific type. As a racehorse he had great gait, speed, toughness and attitude...everything you'd look for in a potential sire. He has raced and beaten the best of his era here, taking a fast mark under AUS conditions and earning over $1mil in the process...no mean feat in this part of the world.
The single best thing that could happen for the Australian Standardbred Breeding Industry is for it to take a leaf out of our TB cousins play book by way of changing the focus/mindset and breeding and then breeding to our own home grown locally performed colts. Christian Cullen, Courage Under Fire etc got it done and both made their debut at considerably more than $2,750. As I said Dan, reality check.

gutwagon
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
CB is very nicely bred but I think he is a $1500 stallion until his youngsters can prove themselves on the track. Not many Australian bred horses start at his price, the ones you mention VVV are NZ bred. Breeders just don't seem to like Aus stallions, I don't know why ! He really needs 250 odd mares in his first 3 seasons to have a chance but at that price I would be surprised if he gets anywhere near that .
Will you be sending any VVV ?

jackthepunter
08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
How is cb over priced? I would say its a reasonable price. Their are any number of unproven sires that come out here for usa and stand for $4000 plus their first season here. Why are they any better? o because their from usa. Compare him to 2 other bettors Delight first season sire Highview Tommy$3300(massively over priced imo)
and Betterthancheddar ridiculors price of $4,950 and I'd say its a more than fair fee for a horse that raced here and is proven to our race conditions

Danno
08-18-2014, 10:05 PM
VVV- To put some perspective on your assertion that $2,750 is too high a debut fee for an unproven sire, how about going through the current AUS 2yo, 3yo and Aged sires lists...noting the debut fees of each? They were virtually all unproven sires prior to becoming available here. It will be an interesting exercise/reality check.
As for marketing...I'm yet to see anything relating to CB that isn't right on the mark. I was at the Melbourne APG the day Rob/Andy/Alan chanced their arm and purchased him for 70k I think it was. He had sireline, he had depth of family and believe it or not he was purchased with the intention of a stud career should he prove to be a good enough. They said exactly that at the time. He was a lovely yearling colt and grew into a terrific type. As a racehorse he had great gait, speed, toughness and attitude...everything you'd look for in a potential sire. He has raced and beaten the best of his era here, taking a fast mark under AUS conditions and earning over $1mil in the process...no mean feat in this part of the world.
The single best thing that could happen for the Australian Standardbred Breeding Industry is for it to take a leaf out of our TB cousins play book by way of changing the focus/mindset and breeding and then breeding to our own home grown locally performed colts. Christian Cullen, Courage Under Fire etc got it done and both made their debut at considerably more than $2,750. As I said Dan, reality check.

Jamie, you are entitled to your opinion about what a fair service fee is, as is anyone else. ultimately the market will make the decision for the horse's connections, MY personal opinion is the service fee for a beautiful horse like CB is a little high until he gets some runs on the board, which he most likely will, however, as he is unproven then you are asking the market to have a bit of a punt. If you are having a punt you like to get some odds in your favour would you not?

I think it's a bit rich comparing CB to Christian Cullen! CC was the most outstanding individual in a generation.
To a lesser degree comparing CB to Courage Under Fire is also a bit like comparing apples to mandarins, one an outstanding individual who was very good on the ractrack with a pedigree to match( CB) and the other a brilliant, almost unbeatable 3YO, small horse that really didn't quite deliver what his early terms promised.

So Jamie, that is my reality check, you are entitled to yours, as usual I would say that doesn't necessarily make you right, as I stated earlier, the market will tell them if the fee is right/light or heavy, all we are doing is offering opinions, which as I like, to say "opinions are like butts, everyone has one, some just stink more than others!"

trish
09-12-2014, 05:37 PM
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/1614102075674040_1.jpgENDED (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161410207567?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648)

That's not a bad result. Not everyone would have know about this being on ebay.

Caribbean Blaster Service (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161410207567?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)
Member id harnessracingnsw (http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/harnessracingnsw?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754) | Feedback Score Of 10 (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=harnessracingnsw&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2776) | 100.0%

AU $1,925.00
15 (http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=161410207567&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:BIDN&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2765) bids
Pickup only

Danno
09-12-2014, 10:13 PM
As you say Trish,

not everyone would have been onto that, however those that were looking in that direction would have been more likely than others to be aware and make their bid.

The next indicator will be the number of mares he gets and that, I think, will be a better measure of where his fee should be. If he gets 100 mares he is lightly priced , if he gets 25/30 then he may be over priced? not sure of those figures/assumptions as I'm not educated/enlightened/experienced...just kicking ideas around.

cheers,
Dan

trish
09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Neither am I Dan but I agree with your assumption. Spot on.
As I said before I like him & hope he does well.

Danno
09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
http://www.harnesslink.com/International/Alabar-s-generous-

maybe the market is talking already, either way a great incentive if you wanted to breed to blaster.

Triple V
10-09-2014, 01:41 AM
http://www.harnesslink.com/International/Caribbean-Blaster-joins-elite-fraternity

Rob Nalder
01-03-2015, 05:11 PM
For everyone that showed interest in the Blaster together with all the Breeders that supported him in his 1st year at Stud we are extremely grateful. To both Alabar and the Team at Yirribee thanks big time as without your help we could not have achieved our goal of covering in excess of 100 mares in this his first year. This milestone was achieved just prior to Christmas. To HRNSW and the Board, your continued support of the Breeding Industry I also wish to acknowledge as everything undertaken over the past few years has been of great support to all Breeders.

Now we can only wait and hope that "The Blaster" passes on to his offspring all his mannerisms and quality.

All of us that have been close to "The Blaster" fully appreciate what he has given us by racing and competing over the past 3 - 4 years, he only has to take the next step to deliver back to the Industry what he has given us.

Thanks again to everyone that has afforded him this opportunity.

Rob Nalder

Richard prior
01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Good Numbers Rob, Congrats!!

Rob Nalder
01-04-2015, 01:29 AM
Richard,

Thanks, I followed just about all the talk and feedback generated from this link. As you know only too well getting to 1st base is all about getting the numbers that will give " The Blaster" his chance in the Stallion ranks. With this book we can only now wait and see if he can carry on in the same vain as his old man. Hopefully he can achieve in his second year similar or better numbers to go with his 1st crop. Everything points to him being as great in the barn as he was on the track.

If he can deliver with quality foals / race horses down the track we can then start to turn the table around and do what our cousins / gallops have been able to do in breeding to there own home grown Stallions. This would have tremendous ramifications that should only increase foal numbers at affordable costs.

Once again if he can deliver ( The Blaster) a great deal of appreciation / acknowledgement needs to go out to the Board of HRNSW for trying several different options / incentives over the past few years in trying to help Breeders in getting greater numbers of foals on the ground.

We are looking forward to the future with positive vibes.

Thanks again to you and everyone that offered opinions and support over the past six months.

Rob Nalder

Rob Nalder
05-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Kevin, all good and great to read other people's views and thoughts on a stack of issues within our sport we all love. So fully appreciate most of the topics the forum gets out and about on. I know I am going to come across as one biass owner. But Team Gath has keep me in the sport with a heap of great memories over many - many years. The way Kate has just continued to develop is a testament to her attitude to life in general and I get a little bit defensive when I hear someone knock her. But all good and looking forward to reading other topics - issues you come out with.

What I would like to get is your views / thoughts, along with others from this forum, on how we can attract larger Breeding numbers to "The Blaster" for next year. Anything positive would be appreciated. The session just gone he covered 110 mares and achieved just over 80 percent 42 day positives.So a great result I thought 1st year but the big test is to improve on this result.

djgood
05-08-2015, 05:56 PM
1 idea I have - if the mare has a good record ( sub 1:58 or won 50,000 or produced a foal that has) offer a 2nd service for another mare to the owner at a discounted rate 40-50% off

Kevin, all good and great to read other people's views and thoughts on a stack of issues within our sport we all love. So fully appreciate most of the topics the forum gets out and about on. I know I am going to come across as one biass owner. But Team Gath has keep me in the sport with a heap of great memories over many - many years. The way Kate has just continued to develop is a testament to her attitude to life in general and I get a little bit defensive when I hear someone knock her. But all good and looking forward to reading other topics - issues you come out with.

What I would like to get is your views / thoughts, along with others from this forum, on how we can attract larger Breeding numbers to "The Blaster" for next year. Anything positive would be appreciated. The session just gone he covered 110 mares and achieved just over 80 percent 42 day positives.So a great result I thought 1st year but the big test is to improve on this result.

Rob Nalder
05-08-2015, 07:27 PM
David, keep thinking of what would or could work on increasing numbers to the Blaster. This point is noted and will be discussed & placed into the mix when we sit down to organise our attack for the coming session.
Thanks again,

Gtrain
05-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Rob, in all honesty, I doubt I have seen a stallion better promoted in recent times than CB. I doubt there is any more you could do to increase numbers without the support of HRNSW. With the current flood of money departing our shores to overseas owned stallions, leased in Australia, possibly an "Australian Owned" sires bonus or something to stem the flow of our money overseas would be worthwhile investigating. As studs refuse to enforce a Stallion limit we need to think outside the box a little.

Rob Nalder
05-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Grant, I appreciate you comment on how we managed "The Blaster" but we need to keep thinking and undertaking ways to further enhance our industry with home grown Quality Stallions, just as the Gallops have been able to achieve. This in my firm opinion, will give breeders the chance to breed in a far more affordable way. We all know his old man is looking more and more likely going to stand for around the $19,000 next session. So we need to try and attract Breeders looking for a Bettor's at a massive saving on dollars. The Board and management of HRNSW has done some great things over the past 5 or 6 years in trying to minimise the drop off in foal numbers. We just need to look at NZ & HRV to see what has happened with breeding numbers from there jurisdiction.In Aussie with the session just gone we are looking at numbers under the 4,000 mark. Never in recorded history have we been this low. With NSW being the least affected State only highlights NSW direction taken by our governing body. Let's keep thinking and working on ways to address and turn around the recent trends on numbers in foal - breeding today. As such I welcome anything positive that can see us breeding more of what we all love so much, the foal - horse!
Thanks,