PDA

View Full Version : Best trainer in nsw ?

Don Corleone
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone,
Who in your opinions would be the best trainer in NSW?
Thanks for your help all.

Flashing Red
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
For me Fitzpatricks do a very good job with the younger horses, ie 2yo and 3yos; Luke McCarthy is no slouch and is very good overall and if you have claimers you can't go past David Thorn. :) Just my 2 cents :) It depends on what you have IMO.

aussiebreno
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Fitzpatricks have had an amazing strike rate in the last 6 or so seasons (although this has slowed since his stable all got sick and he hasnt really recovered to the same heights). McCarthy is the best now he has made the move imo and would give my horse to him before all bar none.
John Tapp never seems to have plodders either for a 'small time' trainer.
David Kennedy and D Thorn have also been churning out the winners but havent dont it consistently for a period of time so can't call them on top. Likewise Bernie Kelly can have golden patches with his horses but is going through relative slow patch.

aussiebreno
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Also, thats just what we see on the outside. We (I) have no idea about horse turnover and what the average trainer would have gotten out of a horse or the price of standardbred available to the trainers disposal.

mango
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I would agree with you Aussiebreno that McCarthy is on top of the list, but in saying that he has be given some good horses to help him a long the way. Where as P Fitzpatrick normally has them from yearling's right through.

Don Corleone
06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey thanks everyone,
It's very much as I thought but seeking your opinion helps with a decision I am making.

triplev123
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
It's impossible to answer definitively because I think it depends entirely upon the age/stage of development/class of horse in question and the level of professionalism that you require. We've had horses with a number of Trainers over the years, big and small, professional and part time, and the experiences have greatly varied.
Some are really great with older horses but couldn't get a 2yo up & rolling if they were given a million years.
Some are naturally gifted as far as getting youngsters up going.
Some are excellent at taking the unsuccessful work of others, altering the training of & re-rigging older/going horses that have shown thus far only moderate exposed form & then placing them to significantly better advantage racing opportunity wise than they perhaps were given previously.
Some are great at identifying yet to be fully exposed talent in NZ and then taking it to the next level here.
There are some very good Trainers here in NSW but IMO none of them have a complete mortgage on everything above.
Also it's worth noting that in amongst all those 'categories' for want of a better word are those who don't like to travel and those who do, those who have access to upper echelon drivers and those who don't, those who are excellent trainers who also choose to drive but shouldn't and so on.
Without actually knowing the individual capabilities of the horse/s and your expectations of same I would be reticent to highlight anyone in particular.
Horses for Courses. Hands for Gloves.

aussiebreno
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
It's impossible to answer definitively because I think it depends entirely upon the age/stage of development/class of horse in question and the level of professionalism that you require. We've had horses with a number of Trainers over the years, big and small, professional and part time, and the experiences have greatly varied.
Some are really great with older horses but couldn't get a 2yo up & rolling if they were given a million years.
Some are naturally gifted as far as getting youngsters up going.
Some are excellent at taking the unsuccessful work of others, altering the training of & re-rigging older/going horses that have shown thus far only moderate exposed form & then placing them to significantly better advantage racing opportunity wise than they perhaps were given previously.
Some are great at identifying yet to be fully exposed talent in NZ and then taking it to the next level here.
There are some very good Trainers here in NSW but IMO none of them have a complete mortgage on everything above.
Also it's worth noting that in amongst all those 'categories' for want of a better word are those who don't like to travel and those who do, those who have access to upper echelon drivers and those who don't, those who are excellent trainers who also choose to drive but shouldn't and so on.
Without actually knowing the individual capabilities of the horse/s and your expectations of same I would be reticent to highlight anyone in particular.
Horses for Courses. Hands for Gloves.
Not sure if the 2yo would still be 2.
As triplev has pointed out saying whos the best and whos the best suit are two different things. There might be some 'big guns' who I would never send a horse to but some lesser likes I would give one to.