PDA

View Full Version : What Stallion standing at stud made you go to the races to see

nat
10-31-2010, 02:11 PM
This is mainly directed at the Northern Hemisphere what horse excited you at the track that captured your attention each time he raced had that something special maybe broke down never had the opportunity shine. We see horse roll in and out down under with quick times and a million dollars in bank roll but what horse would you breed to if money wasn’t an object, what horse ?

Thomas Johnson
10-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Forget the money side of things and concentrate on the horse. The best horse you are ever going to be able to breed to is Somebeachsomewhere. He is the absolut pinnacle of the breeding business and no horse in my view comes even close to him. He was a freak of nature trained by amateur. We only saw him race as a two and three year old. Goodness knows what he would have achieved if he raced as a four and five year old. Getting beat in 1:47 in the Meadowlands Pace by Art Official had to be seen to be believed. Art Official was very special that day also and nothing could be taken away from him winning. That alone was an incredible perfornmance. But Somebeachsomewhere was amazing in getting beat. Without a single doubt him getting beaten this day was still his greatest ever run. This is the horse that you need to breed to as he will improve the whole breed. He is the next generation. Why they have to discount him in Australia one will never know. Simply outstandingly bad management and a incredible disservice to the Somebeachsomewhere.

nat
10-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Thomas

That's the sort of info we like to see also like your comments on In the Pocket (a breed shaping stallion down under) and Mr Feelgood it just seems any horse can run a time and they dont have to be a outstanding race horse to win a million anymore.

peacheymagic
12-25-2010, 12:02 AM
I agree would love to see him serve more mares down under in New Zealand i believe he has only served a handful here if I had a well bred and performed mare I would be jumping out of trees to get her served by Somebeachsomewhere.

Neil
12-25-2010, 06:34 AM
I saw Christian Cullen have his first start as a 2yo against older horses and he performed exactly as good as he looked both on the race track and in the breeding barn. Shame the USA thing didn't work out for him but who knows he may still leave something up there.

triplev123
12-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I agree Neil. Christian Cullen, hands down. He was awesome.
I saw him win the Miracle Mile & back up not long afterwards to win the Truer Memorial.
He spoilt racing for me for years afterwards because everything else looked pedestrian.

Neil
12-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I've heard we have had a great xmas present

The Grices who lease all their horses have had today a Love You colt from Juliana at 6.00am today - and we have two of her earlier foals - so I want this one as well - he leaves magnificent looking foals so lets hope :-)

triplev123
12-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't mind the occasional excursion onto the road less travelled but geeze, French Trotting Stallions?
Neil, I have to take my hat off to you mate. You must have a heart as big as a house to venture there.
Revenue leaves magnificent looking offspring too, btw.

Neil
12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
A friend of mine has bred 2 and one of them won a workout the other day to be the first Love You workout winner in NZ. The Australian one that was purchased for $140k is back here in NZ with Mark Purdon. With what they pay in France he is a bargain here. 8 horses in the syndicate I manage and 7 of them trot so yes I'm a tiger for punishment.

nat
12-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi Neil

Whats the opinion in NZ about Skyvalley was there much talk about people sending mares to him over there. Who would you consider the best CC stallion at stud is there much interest in them I have a Gotta Go Cullect filly (looks just like a Cullen) was interested in Pay Me Christian but he was only avalable on farm in NZ at this time.

Neil
12-27-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm sure Skyvalley will be well supported as he is from an very good producing family. He may be a bit "hot" for the Sundon mares - seemed to race fiercely from what I saw of him. Pegasus Spur has seemed to click well with Sundon - we've gt a magic little yearling colt on that cross. I saw a photo of the first Gotta Go Cullect foal who is a half to one of ours and he certainly throws them. I like Ohoka Arizona for his all round ability and think he will get his chance.

justdoit
12-27-2010, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlfuDiTCWoU
I was at this race and had my money on Up Front Western.

Neil
12-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I've heard we have had a great xmas present

The Grices who lease all their horses have had today a Love You colt from Juliana at 6.00am today - and we have two of her earlier foals - so I want this one as well - he leaves magnificent looking foals so lets hope :-)

just uploaded a picture of the 2 day old colt to my album

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/album.php?albumid=1&attachmentid=9

peacheymagic
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
It will be fascinating to see how all these Christian Cullen sires go Gotta Go Cullect looked to be a top horse before injury and is out of one of the greatest fillys to ever race in NZ, Ohoka Arizona was a top 2yo who was injured as a 3yo and never got back to his best but is out of a mare who has left 3 2yo winners from 3 and then Gotta Go Cullen was a top 2yo, 3yo and 4yo who also had success in open class- has the best race record but his maternal breeding isn't as strong. Im sure the success of these 3 CC stallions will have a big impact on potential stud careers of future cullen sons like Stunnin Cullen, Empyrean and others.

nat
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm a big fan of Pay Me Christian but fertility issues is his only down fall he was and still is the most exciting CC to race for me. I'm sure that good sons of CC will get good coverage and results especially if they keep the service fee down thats the appeal CC is premium price and out of reach by most, his sons will give the every day punter a chance to get in on the act they way the foals are stamped just hope they can run to.

What is the opinion about CC brothers Julius Caesar & Tiger Woods both in Australia

peacheymagic
12-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Julius Caesar has produced some reasonable types like Romulus, Steph's Caesar and Chain of Command all of whom are now in Australia but they tend to take time he hasn't had any age group stars, not sure about Tiger Woods. I think Pay Me Christian may have been the quickest cullen to race over a mile or 1950 but couldn't go much further.

triplev123
12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I honestly don't think any of them will be able to further his legacy much beyond one generation, but it will be through no fault of their own. As a sire of sires I think there's a fair chance that Christian Cullen could well do an Albatross because it is highly likely the producing efforts of his broodmare daughters will serve to so greatly assist other sires/sirelines as to ultimately push his siring sons into the background.
A day later I'll add to the above....For a more localised and relatively recent comparison in terms of his expected broodmare influence, I believe the siring career of Christian Cullen will ultimately parallel that of Classic Garry here in Oz. Breeders want their daughters, not their sons.

peacheymagic
12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Good point you make there, the abundance of cullen sons at stud in the future (say 5 years) may also put pressure on the number of quality broodmares available to these horses.