PDA

View Full Version : Harness racing - things that annoy you most

David Summers
06-18-2011, 05:56 PM
1. Standing starts - just watch them , don't bet or it's less stressful to just flush your money down the toilet. Get rid of standing starts forever
2. Timing system at Menangle - why can't they show the official mile rate as they pass the post on the time semaphore , like most other tracks , not minutes later AND then sometimes an hour later change the actual mile rate . Gggrr!!!
3. Losing Mark McNamara to NZ.
4. Kevin Thompson. Can't stand his race calls. Voice makes me cringe.
5. People like me always complaining about something and doing nothing :-)
6. Kevin Thompson again. Kevin , do us a favour , you've had your time and PLEASE retire SOON.
7. On air harness commentators who think their word is final and no-one else has an opinion.

OK that should start a few rants about what a d...head I am.:-)

There are a lot more serious annoyances than those that bother me. Feel free to add as many more things that bug you as you want. Who knows , maybe someone in authority might actually take some notice........ maybe :-(

Zipper
06-18-2011, 08:06 PM
The lack of 1000m+ tracks in NSW

The lack of professionalism in the entire industry

John Anderson

The lack of opportunity for young, forward thinkers to take up important racing admin roles to change the future of harness racing

Drivers who hand up to odds on favourites (they're gonna beat you anyway, so at least make them earn it!!!)

Sydney traffic when you are trying to get from the city to Menangle.............

Don Corleone
06-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Harness racing - things that annoy me most

People who complain about losing Mark McNamara :-)

Inconsistant rulings

Only winning the Inter's once every decade

People who complain about losing Mark McNamara

Not being anyone in Melbourne who could tell me how to get to Melton

People who complain about losing Mark McNamara......................................

aussiebreno
06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
People complaing about people who complain about losing Mark McNamara is really annoying ;)

Flashing Red
06-20-2011, 12:23 AM
1. Team Driving
2. Slow sectionals
3. Whip abuse
4. Trainers who, despite having an owner who puts their faith in them, gives them a horse, pays their bills etc, have it chopped up for a stablemate owned by a different set of owners etc. Not fair. I don't agree with chopping one up to help another at all - but especially when the trainer doesn't own said chopping block themselves.

I'm bias but I like standing starts. I don't really agree with them for trotters but the trotting pool is so small I guess for handicapping reasons they have to. While I don't feel they shouldn't form a major part of harness racing they have their place and are certainly niche races for some horses. Why shouldn't these horses have some standing start opportunities... I'm glad we still have races such as the Hunter Cup and NZ Cup run under standing start conditions.

Paleface
06-20-2011, 12:57 AM
1. Betfair
2. stewards "noting comments"
3. no early mobile 2yr old races in victoria
4. blatant abuse of new whip rules
5. Grubs who get caught red handed doing the wrong thing, then appeal.

aussiebreno
06-20-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.selltheair.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

The Menangle timing system is similar to this!!!!

triplev123
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.selltheair.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

The Menangle timing system is similar to this!!!!

I'm pretty sure that's a pic of Don Clough. :p

gold-ace
07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
1. people who whinge about betfair and standing starts

2. more then 10 horse fields for menangle

triplev123
07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I strongly object to having to wear a Welding Mask to the Melbourne APG for fear that I might have my Retinas burned from my head by way of reflected sunlight from Mightymo's snow white pins. It's high time that someone from the Sales Company had a word to him. Perhaps the APG might see to it that he has a couple of pre sale spins on the old Tanning Bed or if not then at least offer a spray on Tan, one that will last for the duration. :cool:
It has to be an OH & S come public health issue. One of those nice brown/orange verging on yellow jobs that make the wearer look as though they've gone jaundiced as a result of a bad case of Hepatitis would be good. Over to you, Mightymo. :p

David Summers
07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I strongly object to having to wear a Welding Mask to the Melbourne APG for fear that I might have my Retinas burned from my head by way of reflected sunlight from Mightymo's snow white pins. It's high time that someone from the Sales Company had a word to him. Perhaps the APG might see to it that he has a couple of pre sale spins on the old Tanning Bed or if not then at least offer a spray on Tan, one that will last for the duration. :cool:
It has to be an OH & S come public health issue. One of those nice brown/orange verging on yellow jobs that make the wearer look as though they've gone jaundiced as a result of a bad case of Hepatitis would be good. Over to you, Mightymo. :p

Clever. Hehehe

doinmabest
07-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Timing system is meant to be sorted within the next 4-6 weeks......so we should get the fraction given almost immediately instead of having to wait for it to go up.....

David Summers
07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Timing system is meant to be sorted within the next 4-6 weeks......so we should get the fraction given almost immediately instead of having to wait for it to go up.....

Sure hope that is true. I know some harness fans could not care less , but it has bugged me since Menangle opened. Minor country tracks have this , but our "Number 1 " track still does not.

triplev123
07-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Its the Ghost Of HP at work once again. He haunted the timing system at Glebe for years and now he has moved South West, deposed Fisher's Ghost and taken up residence at Menangle. If you leave a fair way after the last...he sits on the railway bridge and empties cans of Watties Baked Beans on your car as you pass through below. :rolleyes:

Love Of Courage
07-18-2011, 03:08 AM
Bias against smaller horses,

This is one of the things that annoys me. The number of times you seem to hear negative comments about a standardbred horse being on the small side. I understand with a thoroughbred that as they carry weight on their backs that being smaller and being of less weight would be a disadvantage.

If what I understand is true, that with a pacer that the only effort required is to get the gig up to cruising speed. Once the driver leans backwards the strain on the horse is very minimal, so being smaller would not be that big a disadvantage. To me a smaller horse is more likely to be an early type than a big gangly horse. The only disadvantage that I could see is that a smaller horse would probably have a slightly smaller length of stride.

It tickles me to think of those people that looked at top 2 & 3 year old horses such as Courage Under Fire, Smiling Shard, Captain Joy etc, as yearlings and said to themselves "nice little fella, but too small to be a good racehorse", and decided not to buy.

I believe that a few breeders were put off by Courage being small and now you hear the same comments about the fantastic pacer and now stallion Rock N Roll Heaven.

I would love to see a study made on the size of pacers and if there is any correlation between this and performance. The list of great 2 & 3 year olds above would indicate that this is not such a big deal. I would imagine that smaller horses like these would be in the minority and yet it does not stop them from being great pacers.

I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this issue !

mango
07-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Love Of Courage

I was a bit bias towards the smaller stallions but as it has been pointed out to me you just select the right size mare to send to them, the horses you mention that are on the smaller side have turned out to be great racehorses. The thing i've noticed by going to the yearling sale's both Victorian and N.S.W over the last couple of year's is that a lot of the trainers and buyer's are looking to buy the big strong well built types and they are the one's that are attracting top $$$$ to me they are a bit to big, it's as if they are yearling's in 2yr old bodies already but there the one's attracting the money. So i suppose you have to way up your option's as to what stallion to use and whether you are breeding to sell at the yearling sale's and so on.

mightymo
07-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Love Of Courage

I was a bit bias towards the smaller stallions but as it has been pointed out to me you just select the right size mare to send to them, the horses you mention that are on the smaller side have turned out to be great racehorses. The thing i've noticed by going to the yearling sale's both Victorian and N.S.W over the last couple of year's is that a lot of the trainers and buyer's are looking to buy the big strong well built types and they are the one's that are attracting top $$$$ to me they are a bit to big, it's as if they are yearling's in 2yr old bodies already but there the one's attracting the money. So i suppose you have to way up your option's as to what stallion to use and whether you are breeding to sell at the yearling sale's and so on.

Baby Bling would barely be 15 hands now...

triplev123
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this issue !

G'day LOC,

As far as the chances of smaller horses becoming successful racehorses and latter on sires goes, I think the major factor is their stride length.
For example, Bettor's Delight, Rock N Roll Heaven and Courage Under Fire all had a length of stride that IMO was well in excess of what you'd reasonably expect it to be for horses of their size. Racehorse wise, from memory Captain Joy is part of that crew and so is Smiling Shard as I recall.

Here's a good size story btw.

While attending the US sales many years ago it was suggested to the long since deceased Ron Croghan that he take a look at a well bred, well related Albatross filly.
He was given to being a bit of a cranky old bugger at times so when taken to the stall, he took one look over the door, saw a small, finely built filly, grunted that she was too small and that she would never be any good...and he turned and walked away.

A bloke from Ontario by the name of Dr. J. Glen Brown must have thought she was big enough because he put his hand up, took her home & gave her to Glen Garnsey to train.
She went on to set world records, win Horse Of The Year honours, 45 races & just under $1million and was inducted into the Canadian Harness Racing Hall Of Fame in 1986.
Her name was Fan Hanover, the first and to date she remains the only filly ever to win The Little Brown Jug.

Ron ultimately purchased a fellow 1978 foal by Albatross, a colt named Preferred Bid. He was a very ordinary racehorse & went on to become an even more ordinary sire.
No doubt, for those unfortunate enough enough to have encountered his stock, the mere mention of that horse's name still makes them run for the Medicine Cabinet in search of the Stematil. :(

mango
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi Mightymo

I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy a small one i'm just passing on what i've taken away from the sale's as to what people are looking for. As Baby Bling was a buy back do you think people over looked her due to her size.

mightymo
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
absolutely!

mightymo
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
i know buyers want big. Im just saying big doesnt mean best.

Arctic Fire , another buyback of mine, is also only 15 to 15.1

from now on, Im buying small fillies only! :):)

mango
07-18-2011, 02:15 PM
i know buyers want big. Im just saying big doesnt mean best.

Arctic Fire , another buyback of mine, is also only 15 to 15.1

from now on, Im buying small fillies only! :):)

I think buyer's are to wrapped up in the big horses but hopefully thing's will change, Your filly and mare are doing a great job so it prove's size doesn't matter. When in Christchurch in early april i was lucky enough to go out to Dancingonmoolight Farm and we got to see Carabella and at that stage she wasn't even 15h and what a great job she has done.

smithy
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
LOC... the bias will never go away but i see no problem with a smaller horse, only have to look at some top stallions, bettors delight, western terror and mach three aren't big horses.

i wouldnt worry too much about size unless your trying to sell... just remember those big horses have to carry their own weight and it puts alot of pressure on immature legs

Flashing Red
07-18-2011, 05:43 PM
The smaller the horse technically the less distance they carry per stride. Think about it. Think about a horse in a 56 inch hobble compared to a 62 inch hobble and the difference in ground they could carry in each stride. Then think of how many strides they take per race. This is only a rule of thumb, which is why small horses can still turn out to be champions. Then I find the humongous ones have back problems and then general soundness problems at a much earlier age. There are always pros and cons. I certainly wouldn't be bagging people who caution size, because one would silly to think that it doesn't make some sort of difference. It just goes to show how much talent really small horses do have. :) I also agree with Triple V, I do think its more stride rather than height related. I trained one horse once, was lucky to reach 15h (was probably 14.3) yet he had a 58.5 inch hobble which is quite decent for a horse that size. Didn't stop him from running 1:56 for 2100m either on a 1000m track. That's raw ability!! :) Has anyone seen a Brisbane horse called Destreos? The smallest standardbred I've ever seen. And he wins FFAs (gee I'd love to own him!!) He may be small, but he's beautifully put together, like a little bull dog.

Love Of Courage
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Hello All !

Thanks for the great replies !

Loved the story VVV as it tickles my sense of humour to see how this bias can end up costing you a champion.

Congratulations Mightymo ! Must make the win even sweeter when it is from a horse that you bred that others did not think as highly of.

Thanks for your replies Mango, Smithy & Flashing Red. Your posts and comments are appreciated and enjoyed.

Every mare I purchase is first bred to Courage, so as a result i have had a few foals on the smaller side. I do tend to get frustrated with comments like "Lovely foal, pity it wasnt bigger !". Courage traces back to Robin Dundee and I believe that she was small for the era that she raced. This did not stop her from being a champion mare and having the super son of hers Ghengis Khan.

I have a mare whos dam is a 3/4 sister to Courages dam " Advance Debra". The Courage family are all on the smaller side as a rule. My mare has an Artsplace yearling colt who is naturally enough on the smaller side. Once again I hear "Too small to be a good racehorse". I bite my tongue but the word "CRAP !" pops into my mind.

I understand the length of stride is an important issue, but it still makes it hard to sell smaller yearlings with this bias. It's hard enough to breed to sell, without this costing you $$$ every time.

smithy
07-18-2011, 06:23 PM
but wouldn't having smaller legs mean having a higher cadence and a higher blood circulation ??...joking

but seriously i can't take the length of stride argument, so much much much more going on inside a horse to determine ability

David Summers
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
In many instances it's what goes on in a horse's head that can make a big difference. Although so many other variables are extremely important as mentioned above, but if something is not "just right" between their ears , you start with a big disadvantage.

triplev123
07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey LOC,

That bloke has the same coloured limbs as Mightymo. :rolleyes:

Blue
07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
this day in age all tacks should give sectional times in the country tracks

David Summers
07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
They can't even get the timing system working the way it should at their premier track , Menangle. I hear that may change soon, THEN lets look at the country track timing thing.

triplev123
07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Hey Ozninja, I know there have been ongoing timing issues stretching back to The Ghost in the Machine at HP who haunted proceedings for some time there...but do you know what is the actual problem is with the timing gear?...as in the cause? I've seen tracks where things go on the fritz in a fog etc. Is there something else that messes things up at Menangle? Btw...if it's any consolation, on the Monday of the June long-weekend the Fairfield timing gear also completely shat itself during the Carnival of Cups meeting. I think Hayes hand-timed one race. Not sure about the reliability of the sectionals though. :p

aussiebreno
07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Hey Ozninja, I know there have been ongoing timing issues stretching back to The Ghost in the Machine at HP who haunted proceedings for some time there...but do you know what is the actual problem is with the timing gear?...as in the cause? I've seen tracks where things go on the fritz in a fog etc. Is there something else that messes things up at Menangle? Btw...if it's any consolation, on the Monday of the June long-weekend the Fairfield timing gear also completely shat itself during the Carnival of Cups meeting. I think Hayes hand-timed one race. Not sure about the reliability of the sectionals though. :p
Yeah, he caught wiff of a pie and the timing went out the window. Another patron then timed Hayes time taken to track down the pie and it was a PB 7.2 seconds.

gutwagon
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
What bugs me about harness racing ?
The lack of a 1400m track in Victoria.
In Victoria some tracks charge admission and some don't.
Stewards holding up the start of many races in Vic by not being in position on time.
Drivers who hang back from the mobile and try to fly the start. Stewards for not stoping this.
Horses being swabed and then the swabs not tested.
Swabs taking 4 weeks when they are tested.
Studs that charge excessive agistment fees.
Studs that don't include GST in their prices.
No outside undercover seating at Melton.The owners room no longer has a tote window.
OH&S laws keeping potential new owners away from the horses.
Those $2000 races in Vic.The tab still makes a profit, why should owners suffer ?

As far as horse size goes, if your breeding to sell then you try to breed a horse that will look good in the sale ring. It should be a good size and be by a leading fashionable sire.If your breeding to race then you go for the stallion thats blood best suits your mare, size is irrelivant.
Just my 2 bobs worth.

smithy
07-28-2011, 11:08 PM
i always thought not includng gst in your advertised price is illegal gutwagon?

gutwagon
07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
i always thought not includng gst in your advertised price is illegal gutwagon?

It is ,but many adds say eg.$3000 +gst and when you enquire about other fees they often quote $x a day and forget to say plus gst. All prices should always include the gst full stop. They just do it that way to make it sound cheaper !

The Big Mile
07-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Gutwagon - good of you to point this thread out.

Time to dust off the turrets, load up the cannons and take dead aim.

THINGS THAT ANNOY YOU THE MOST

1. Incompetent Stewarding (clear gold medal winner for mine)
2. Incompetent Stewarding (can take the silver too)
3. Incompetent Stewarding (can fill the trifecta and take bronze)

Also ran:

4. Intitiatives taken in the industry without wider consultation to the rest of the industry / intitiatives that suit one aspect of the industry but have a negative impact elsewhere on something that is pretty important (i.e: Breeding Panel Report recommendation 5.1 or part thereof)
5. Vested interests put in front of the greater good of the industry
6.High net worth individuals in the industry whom utilise their financial clout to manipulate administrators into acting on their various requests, even if it doesn't promote a level playing field
7. Administrators whom bow to the above (5) requests
8. Administrators whom exhibit incompetence (too many)
9. Administrators whom utilise their positions for personal gain at the expense of the industry
10. Administrators whom fail time and time again to promote the sport and give you every excuse under the sun as to why they don't / can't.
11. Administrators whom fail to understand the evolution of the betting landscape, and the general sporting landscape surrounding the sport (like in the 60's)
12. Did I mention incompetent Stewarding?
13. Hobby drivers (at anything above a restricted meeting)
14. Incompetent drivers
15. Absolute bullsh*t spun to Stewards by drivers that gets swallowed hook, line and sinker
16. Flat last turns on half mile tracks
17. Warm beer served at the trots
18. Breeders whom moan about not precuring a sale when one look at the catalogue clearly shows that they are dreaming about their expectations
19. General trots food (the deep fried artery clogging bonanza that grace various harness tracks)
20. Race clubs that show SKY on the TV's for the interstate meetings but persist in keeping the volume down!!
21. At the race clubs whom do have the volume up, those bloody races from Broome or Singapore that they play the call in the middle of a harness race
22. All those in the sport living in the past, and not seeing we are living in the now
23. Racing ministers whom actually think they do something for the sport when they don't
24. Imbeciles whom cannot rate their horses in the cart

Stopped at 24 as the TAB cannot handle any bigger fields.

Did I miss anyone?

Gee I am a miserable git.

Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild
07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Need a hug?

Greg Hando
07-29-2011, 01:56 AM
No 13 there goes over half of NSW driving rank's perhap's more

triplev123
07-29-2011, 05:18 AM
TBM wrote [Gee I am a miserable git.]

Nah.......you're more of a Fat Bastard. ;););););)
(like me)

gutwagon
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I agree with nearly all of what TBM said. Oh and dont forget those stewards !!

triplev123
07-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree with nearly all of what TBM said. Oh and dont forget those stewards !!

Pretty much the same here. I'd like to add..... 'the inconsistent and often erroneous application of the change of tactics rule here in NSW'.

gutwagon
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
One more thing that bugs me is that we have" Tabcorp park Melton" and "Tabcorp park Menangle". The names are confusing, couldn't one of them come up with something better ?

David Summers
07-29-2011, 08:21 PM
I know that it advertising for "Tabcorp" , and they paid money for this , but how many harness people have never heard of "Tabcorp" anyway. It's a stupid way to publicise a brand.

Let's just have it as "Melton" and "Menangle". If you look at any Sky Broadcast the words "Tabcorp" are seen on-screen about 50 times during a race on the barriers , so their brand is certainly visable. We don't need it rammed down or throats with the dumb "Tabcorp Park" branding before the words Melton and Menangle.

And while we are at it let's lobby against that ridiculous "Betfair Park" branding for the Sandown thoroughbred track.

Greg Hando
07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Peepel who have a go at somone who carnt spell proprly in their post's we all carnt be roads scolars

smithy
07-31-2011, 12:20 AM
breeders who whine about the risk involved in attempting to make 50% returns on investments

Greg Hando
07-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Aren't most breeder's in it as a hobby ?

aussiebreno
07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
People*
someone*
can't*
properly*
can't
schoolers*

:clap: :clap:

aussiebreno
07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Aren't most breeder's in it as a hobby ?

Then why the need for mass reform? Ahh this shit is taking over the whole forum lol

smithy
07-31-2011, 12:28 AM
the blokes on that panel aren't hobbyists thats for sure, pretty easy to see they'll personally benefit enormously from this

Greg Hando
07-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes will agree on that one
aussiebreno give's everyone something to do and schooler's is scholar's

David Summers
07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Peepel who have a go at somone who carnt spell proprly in their post's we all carnt be roads scolars

Also "roads" is spelt Rhodes as in Rhodes Scholar

aussiebreno
07-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Didn't know the Rhodes one, I see its an award at Oxford. I'd imagine some of the names on that list would go onto much bigger things.
Schoolers was supposed to be ironic!

smithy
07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
gregs post is surely a gee up

aussiebreno
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Just having a go at me for calling someone out on their woeful attempt at spelling eligible. But all's good :)

Flashing Red
07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
I would like to think that poor spelling and grammar is not an indication of one's intelligence... otherwise I think I'm in trouble! lol!

David Summers
07-31-2011, 07:00 PM
We're all friends here , whether we are a Rhodes Scholar or a stablehand shovelling (you know what). The thing is we are some of the smartest people on the planet because we all love to be involved the great sport of harness racing. That's all that matters :-)

gutwagon
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Thought I might get back to the thread friends. Something else that annoys me-

Horseswhosnamesdonthavespacesinthem !

Breeders that name yearlings and then put them in yearling sales.The new owners want to name the horses ! I know you can change the name latter but thats just more paper work.

Outsiders calling our sport "The Red Hots".

The HRV site starting to call 2 year olds freshmen.

Long gaps between races, people have short atention spands nowadays 25min is plenty of time.

Sprint lanes. ( That should fire a few people up )

Tracks under 1000m.

Flashing Red
08-01-2011, 01:22 AM
I love sprint lanes <3 Double sprint lanes are even better!! :)

And re gaps between races - go to Yonkers on a Saturday night, the floats share the casino car park, if there are cars lined up to get into the casino (ie no car parks) they will literally run the races every 12 or so minutes to get us out of there!! SO hectic when you have horses in back to back races (remembering the drivers all have their own race bikes, you have enough time to grab it off the horse that used it before you, click it onto you own horse and away you go). All the tracks have their own channels there, they run the races when they like, not like here where each race is allocated a time. At Chester one day, for some reason, they were running the races like 20 mins apart and everyone was complaining how slow everything was. The half hour between races here kills me.

triplev123
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Didn't know the Rhodes one, I see its an award at Oxford. I'd imagine some of the names on that list would go onto much bigger things.
Schoolers was supposed to be ironic!

Well known Rhodes Scholars here in Oz include the deplorable & totally lamentable policy vacuum that was former PM, Kim Beazley.

aussiebreno
08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Well known Rhodes Scholars here in Oz include deplorable & totally lamentable policy vacuum that was former PM, Kim Beasley.
So what you're trying to tell me is that sometimes Rhodes Scholars don't actually go onto bigger and better things?

David Summers
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Putting political opinions aside here (PLEASE) , I see that a pacer in the 70's was named Rhodes Scholar. Had about as much talent and ability as the aforementioned KB. 3 starts 0 wins 0 Prizemoney.

As this thread has drifted a little , if it was not that I currently have three unnamed fillies , I might consider naming one of them Rhodes Scholar but it seems to be a too masculine name for any of these little sweethearts. I am in the industry for the love of it. Don't care if they never win a race in the future . I am a passionate but sentimental owner , I bred them , I love them. Life's not always about making a quick dollar. I'm a harness man through and through and I REALLY love my sport :-)

triplev123
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I always loved a few old Henny Youngman jokes.

The other day my wife told me she wanted to go on Holidays.
I asked her where she wanted to go.
She said I want to go somewhere I've never been before
I said try the kitchen.

or

Take my wife. I take my wife everywhere...but she finds her way home.

or finally

A doctor says to a man, "You want to improve your love life? You need to get some exercise. Run ten miles a day." Two weeks later, the man called the doctor. The doctor says, "How is your love life since you have been running?" "I don't know, I'm 140 miles away!"

triplev123
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Couldn't resist this one.
The doctor says to the patient, "Take your clothes off, bend over and stick your ass out the window". "What will that do?" asks the patient. The doctor says, "Nothing, I'm mad at my neighbor!"

Flashing Red
08-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I know it shouldn't bother me, but it does: people on internet forums who only talk about their own/friends horses, disagree with others when they don't hold them in the same regard and pott their/friends horses opposition. I've seen it on a number of forums, not singling just one out... these people don't offer any other contribution to the online community on any other subject. I don't know, I find it shallow and unprofessional! :( We all like it when our own horses or our friends horses do well, but what's wrong with contributing to other topics too? :( And why say negative things about other people's horses that you have to race?

Is this Aussie tall poppy syndrome coming out in me? :D

triplev123
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
The Big Mile gets like that whenever anyone mentions the North Sydney Bears in a negative way. Don McKinnon whipped it out and took a wizz in the middle of North Sydney Oval while the game was being shown live on National TV...and still The Big Mile defended them.
Year after year Olsen Filipaina lolled about on the bench and languished in Reserve Grade only to come from out of nowhere to play a blinder for NZ against Australia and still, The Big Mile stood by them. Unconfirmed rumours even go so far as point to The Big Mile having had a life-like tatoo of Mark Graham applied to the right hand cheek of his buttocks. :rolleyes:

Don Corleone
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey triple I have a tattoo of Mark Graham on one cheek and Mark Broadhurst on the other....................it's the one in the middle that people have trouble recognising.

triplev123
08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like it's Australia's Federal Treasurer, Wayne Swan.

doinmabest
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Triple, Wasn't Olsen a Balmain Tiger......5/8 if memory is still right...lol...

triplev123
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Definitely played for at least 2 seasons with TBM's beloved Bears.

DAZZA
08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Things that annoy me the most ...... race 4 Gold Coast last night... races like that. Pleassssssse

doinmabest
08-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Spot On Triple......

Filipaina moved to Sydney in 1980, joining the Balmain Tigers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmain_Tigers). He spent five seasons at the club, playing in 77 games and ammasing 225 points. After a one year spell at the Eastern Suburbs Roosters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Roosters) in 1985 Filipaina played for two years with the North Sydney Bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sydney_Bears). During his time in the NSWRL Premiership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSWRL_Premiership) Filipaina claims he suffered from racial abuse and sledging.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_Filipaina#cite_note-Racism-1)
In 1990, he captained Ryde-Eastwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ryde-Eastwood_Hawks&action=edit&redlink=1) to victory in the inaugural Metropolitan Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundaberg_Red_Cup) final.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_Filipaina#cite_note-2)

David Summers
08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Things that annoy me the most ...... race 4 Gold Coast last night... races like that. Pleassssssse

For those interested in making a comment about this Gold Coast race , a new thread has been started here http://www.harnessracingforum.com/showthread.php?1103-Gold-coast-race-4-3rd-of-august

The Big Mile
08-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Spot On Triple......

Filipaina moved to Sydney in 1980, joining the Balmain Tigers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmain_Tigers). He spent five seasons at the club, playing in 77 games and ammasing 225 points. After a one year spell at the Eastern Suburbs Roosters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Roosters) in 1985 Filipaina played for two years with the North Sydney Bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sydney_Bears). During his time in the NSWRL Premiership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSWRL_Premiership) Filipaina claims he suffered from racial abuse and sledging.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_Filipaina#cite_note-Racism-1)
In 1990, he captained Ryde-Eastwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ryde-Eastwood_Hawks&action=edit&redlink=1) to victory in the inaugural Metropolitan Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundaberg_Red_Cup) final.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_Filipaina#cite_note-2)

I have a mate whom was playing fullback against Olsen in the Manly Rugby League comp and said that Olsen made a bust with him to beat. He said he did the biggest Fijian traffic cop to him waving him through to the tryline.

VVV - this import fee has pressed a few serious buttons, but don't hit the detonator about my beloveds........

David Summers
08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Let's drag ourselves back to harness racing in this thread. Zillions of other Rugby League and Union forums to talk about that............. Yawn :-(

Watching Smoken Up last night , watching some league match , no comparison.

Just being light-hearted with my comments , I'm a fanatic Sydney Swans man myself :-)

gutwagon
08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Another point that annoys me is the lack of bookmakers at the trots. Country tracks in vic have one or none, Melton has 3 or 4 . I remember 20 odd years ago at Moonee Valley they would have 20 or more bookies. Even the country tracks would have around 10. I know times have changed but I miss the betting ring and watching a plunge take place .

David Summers
08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Another point that annoys me is the lack of bookmakers at the trots. Country tracks in vic have one or none, Melton has 3 or 4 . I remember 20 odd years ago at Moonee Valley they would have 20 or more bookies. Even the country tracks would have around 10. I know times have changed but I miss the betting ring and watching a plunge take place .

I'll give it a couple of years and there will be no on-course bookmakers anywhere. I remember many years ago you could hardly move around the bookmarker stands , but as you said the world of betting has changed irrevocably whether we like it or not . Whether it is good for punters or not there is really nothing we can do but just "go with the flow" :-(

gutwagon
08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Sky channel annoy me the way they treat the trots, we always seem to be the last priority. And they only show the odds just before race start. They need one channel for each code trots/dogs/gallops.

gregcattell
08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
T.A.B. clubs racing for restricted prize money