PDA

View Full Version : NSW Riverina Harness Racing

aussiebreno
06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
In the space of 6 hours HRNSW has announced more then what it has announced in the past 6 years. Two seperate harnesslink news articles tells me that part of HRNSW deal with Sky Channel involves setting up Sky at Leeton and Albury while another article tells me we have got a full time steward. Good news normally comes in threes so whats next? They're going ahead with a new 1200m track!!! I can only hope.
Still; good to see the Riverina getting some attention. :)

triplev123
06-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Rumour has it that the reason so much is being done for the Riverina is that Roger Strong has a photograph of Sam wearing a 'Puffy Pirate Shirt' at an Industry Function.

http://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/object_shirt.jpg

If I had to take a guess I would say it was from Opening Night at Menangle. It was teamed with a kind of bone/tweed suit, a paisely tie and a pair of those slip on heavy stitched leather gangster shoes that Bikies wear when they go out for dinner. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

aussiebreno
06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Think you've hit the nail on the head VVV!!!!!!!
You would never believe it. On the back page of todays local
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/harness-racing/wagga-harness-racing-a-step-closer-to-finding-home/2203081.aspx
Almost fainted when I seen it.

mango
06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey Breno
Thats great news for Wagga.

triplev123
06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
It's a reckoning in many respects Breno.
The Riverina has always been a Harness Racing stronghold yet inexplicably successive NSW administrations have basically taken it for granted.
Glad to see this approach has finally ended and that the region is getting the recognition it has long and always deserved. Good news, really good news.

remington
06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Greatest news in the area for along time really hope it all happens soon :)

Flashing Red
06-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Anything to support the little guys is always worth supporting IMHO. Glad Wagga is getting a 1000m track too. :)

triplev123
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
...imagine what an illicit shot of the Paisely number would produce?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.themenswearsite.com/images/products/zoom/1236878160-08223900.jpg

triplev123
06-22-2011, 10:26 PM
PS. That is actually a picture of a shirt belonging to Barry Coote, part owner of Oscar Lane.
Cop that Bazza! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

aussiebreno
06-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Many lolz

Don Corleone
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I'll have you know triple but where I come from people still save up to buy shirts like that one!....dollar down and a dollar a week......takes 6 weeks

triplev123
06-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Dollar down and a Dollar a week...sounds like the way I paid for my first broodmare. :rolleyes:

David Summers
06-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Did she cover your costs with her offspring?

triplev123
06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
By way of sheer luck and $ in vs $ out she did. She cost me the none too massive sum of $700 in foal. I bought her in 1987, the year after I left school, and I kept and tried her first two foals for me but neither of them could beat time with a stick. I broke one of them in myself. Lovely pacer, great natured, couldn't break 2:20 if you dropped her down a mine shaft. Undaunted...I bred and then sold a third, a big Chestnut Rig that basically wanted to kill everyone and everything he came into contact with, at an APG Sale in Sydney back in 1993 and he turned out pretty good, he won 9 races and was my 1st winner as a Breeder.
He was placed in his 2 x 2yo starts then placed in his first two starts back at 3yrs and then won at his 3rd start at 3. He won by 3.5m at Harold Park and it remains one of the proudest moments of my life.

David Summers
06-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for that. Gives some inspiration to some who are in the same position as you were early. Glad you didn't give up. I know of a couple of hopeful breeders who have just given up and walked away because their first foal was no good.

triplev123
06-23-2011, 08:11 PM
You're more than welcome.
I was fortunate enough to have grown up around them so I didn't have too many illusions as to what was to come but even so, it can be a very, very tough road.
I wasn't so much bothered by the ones that couldn't go because I knew that the majority of them basically can't go...but the first one that died on me was like being hit with a brick.
I think that's the point where most people will leave. The mare will foal down at home, get into trouble and it'll die right there in front of them, foal as well, and sometimes their kids will be there & it's a terrible experience that they never want to risk going through again.
Not too many people know but we very nearly gave it all away back in 2005 when we lost both our best mares at the time within just 72hrs...but you eventually make up your mind what you want to do and you pick yourself up off the canvas & keep going.
I don't think you ever get used to losing them, if you do then that's the time to get out. What happens is that after a while you just take a 'hit on previous scar tissue' & outwardly at least, it doesn't appear to hurt you as much. It does though.
People that aren't into horses don't understand the attraction and they'll wonder why you would ever put yourself through some of it...they'll look at you like you're nuts...but I long ago gave up on trying to explain it to them. They'll never understand.
Those people that do however will just nod their heads and smile....perhaps thinking of the great pride they have in their most recent foal...or the promise their 2yo is showing... or of their yearling sales colt that they're preparing that casually sidled up to them in the paddock one day and then turned & kicked them square in the Jatz Crackers.

David Summers
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Great insight. Thanks for sharing you experiences on here. I appreciate it and I take careful note of what you say.

triplev123
06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Geeze. Maybe you shouldn't do that.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'd take more notice of Mightymo. He knows EVERYTHING! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: