PDA

View Full Version : Passing lanes

David Summers
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I'd be interested in your opinion about the use of inside passing lanes.

I know John Tapp has often expressed his strong dislike for them ( but took the money when one of his horses used it to win at Melton) , but opinions seem to be divided elsewhere.

Are they fair to all runners? Is it an advantage for you to know there is a sprint lane when you place a bet , or does it make no difference?

Do we need a passing lane at Menangle? Several well know drivers say "yes".

aussiebreno
06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
It seems like passing lanes are the thing all the other horses are in while my bets are in the parking lane.
I like them; especially the set ups where they don't open to a point about a quarter way down the straight; which means they still have to sprint fast just not capitalise on any easy run.
Of course there is an advantage for a sprint lane. If you get the lead you have the option of handing up or if you get crossed at the start all is not lost as you still get a run and don't have to cover the extra ground of those horses in the running line.
A passing lane at the 200m wide enough for 2 horses would be awesome I think. We'd see races with 10 horses neck and neck at the 100m; would be awesome! The luck of the draw doesn't seem to apply at Menangle (cue some stats to prove me wrong) and I think all tracks need a luck of the draw factor due to PBD races. A sprint lane would help Menangle get a luck of the draw factor.

Zipper
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
You don't need a passing lane at Menangle as the straight is long enough for every horse to get its chance.

I think there is a place for them on tracks of 1000m or less.

montana
06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
i like the passing lanes it really opens up the race in the run home and generally everything gets its chance. in saying that i agree with zipper i dont think menangle needs a passing lane everything does seem to get its chance to win the race.

triplev123
06-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Basically the need for a Passing Lane is directly proportional to the Class of horses involved. Lesser horses, more late clutter, a greater need for Passing Lanes. Better horses, less late clutter, a much lesser need.

Flashing Red
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't feel they all get their chance at Menangle. In fact, despite it being a lovely, sweeping track, down the straight they seemed to be bunched together. If you want to see horses fanned out and all getting their shot, watch races at the Meadowlands. Then go back and watch them at Menangle and you'll see what I mean. I would like to see a double sprint lane (like at Redcliffe) at all tracks. I also agree with Triple V - the class of the horse normally means and increase in speed. More speed, more gaps, more chances. Unfortunately the NSW drivers drive around Menangle like it's Harold Park for the most part. There is no reason for any quarters there to be run slower than :30 (I would personally argue :29, I don't think any races over a mile should be run slower than 1:56-1:57 personally, but that argument is for another day) but when I was there for several weeks, I saw :31 and :32 second quarters posted on a Saturday night - that is disgraceful for Saturday night horses on a 1400m track. I trained a claimer one day there in 1:56 - it didn't feel that fast at all. That is why they need a sprint lane IMHO.

mango
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd be interested in your opinion about the use of inside passing lanes.

I know John Tapp has often expressed his strong dislike for them ( but took the money when one of his horses used it to win at Melton) , but opinions seem to be divided elsewhere.

Are they fair to all runners? Is it an advantage for you to know there is a sprint lane when you place a bet , or does it make no difference?

Do we need a passing lane at Menangle? Several well know drivers say "yes".

I think Tappy donated his trainers percentage to a charity if i remember right.

David Summers
06-25-2011, 11:44 PM
If that's true , and I had not heard of that before , then that's a noble gesture indeed.

mango
06-26-2011, 12:07 AM
I think he said on In The Gig one night when bagging the sprint lane if one of his horses wins using the sprint lane he would donate his trainers percentage to charity. I'm not to sure but i think the horse that won using the sprint lane could've been Charlotte Brew in Victoria.

aussiebreno
06-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I think he said on In The Gig one night when bagging the sprint lane if one of his horses wins using the sprint lane he would donate his trainers percentage to charity. I'm not to sure but i think the horse that won using the sprint lane could've been Charlotte Brew in Victoria.

Correct!

mango
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Well Breno there's a first time for everything lmao, how lucky was i to see that episode as i've probably seen In The Gig twice in the last 2 yrs as i can't stand watching it and listening to a former cleaner turned Harness expert GH.

Don Corleone
06-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Recently I have won a couple of races using the sprint lane but I am not a big fan of them. However I see both points of view, the pro's and cons.

David Summers
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Well Breno there's a first time for everything lmao, how lucky was i to see that episode as i've probably seen In The Gig twice in the last 2 yrs as i can't stand watching it and listening to a former cleaner turned Harness expert GH.

Totally agree Mango. I always record In The Gig and when I replay it next day every time GH opens his mouth I "fast forward" until be is finished. He's a bore.