PDA

View Full Version : Top 2yo's Thus Far

Zipper
06-28-2011, 01:13 AM
As we head towards the Breeders Crown, I am interested to hear from others on who they feel are the best 2yo's that we've seen on Aussie race tracks so far....

My Top 5 Colts:
1. Fly Like An Eagle - Superstar in the making, should be undefeated!!
2. Restrepo - Only injury has stopped this bloke pushing FLAE to the limit
3. Soho Valencia - Super consistent and very tough
4. Mr Nickel - His APG wins means he has to be included
5. Scandalman - I really like this bloke, shame he is not entered for the Crown

Notable mentions to Magic Bliss, Theartofdelusion & Major Catastrophe

My Top 5 Fillies:
1. Shake it Mama - Freak who will only get better with time
2. Rosa Mach - Super little trier
3. Sensational Gabby - All you can do is win and she is yet to be beaten
4. Louvre - Can't draw a gate
5. La Machane - A filly on the up

Notable mentions to The Archduchess & Cha Ching Chaching.

mightymo
06-28-2011, 01:46 AM
As we head towards the Breeders Crown, I am interested to hear from others on who they feel are the best 2yo's that we've seen on Aussie race tracks so far....

My Top 5 Colts:
1. Fly Like An Eagle - Superstar in the making, should be undefeated!!
2. Restrepo - Only injury has stopped this bloke pushing FLAE to the limit
3. Soho Valencia - Super consistent and very tough
4. Mr Nickel - His APG wins means he has to be included
5. Scandalman - I really like this bloke, shame he is not entered for the Crown

Notable mentions to Magic Bliss, Theartofdelusion & Major Catastrophe

My Top 5 Fillies:
1. Shake it Mama - Freak who will only get better with time
2. Rosa Mach - Super little trier
3. Sensational Gabby - All you can do is win and she is yet to be beaten
4. Louvre - Can't draw a gate
5. La Machane - A filly on the up

Notable mentions to The Archduchess & Cha Ching Chaching.

Hi Zipper

I agree with almost all your selections. In the colts, I would definitely add in Western Cullen. I think he will race in Perth before coming over for the Crown.

With fillies, I know she won the APG, but I have been disappointed with Rosa Mach's recent starts. Id definitely have a few others ahead of her leading into the Crown

mango
06-28-2011, 08:27 AM
2 fillies i like and i think with more racing the better they will get are :

Oh Eye See

The Good Times

triplev123
06-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Restrepo had it over all the 2yo colts & geldings that I've seen before or since this season & he had it by wide open lengths too...until he got injured.
Sensational Gabby would smack all of the 2yo fillies and the majority of the 2yo colts & geldings that I've seen this season.

Zipper
07-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Well well well..... I am a terrible judge going off last nights results.

La Machane is outstanding, although I still think we haven't seen anywhere near the best of Shake It Mama.

Soho Valencia was brilliant, very tough win. Not sure what went wrong with The Eagle, he seemed to get fired up and over race way to easily???

If he races truly next week it will be a much different result!!

craig
07-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I think i have the top two 2yr olds in Aus. Both are in the top paddock and cant catch either so gee they must be fast...lmao.....but one is a Armbro operitive half brother to Be Good Johnnie so lets hope he is just as fast..lol

Flashing Red
07-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Wasn't Johnny a little hard to catch / difficult in general as a young horse... I read that somewhere that is where his name come from. Hopefully with this similar family trait that have similar abilities - would be nice! :)

montana
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I like La Machane and Western Mail , i think both have decent futures.

DAZZA
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Western Mail flies, Hasnt beaten all that much yet however his times even when 3 wide have been awesome. Gets one every year that Crosby bloke.

triplev123
07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Western Mail's maternal family started a Northward migration from Wyong, NSW back in the early to mid 1950's where it was originally owned by a bloke with the surname of Greasey.
Having passed through Wyong a few times over the years, without doubt said maternal family finds itself immeasurably better off as a resident of The Sunshine State. :p

craig
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Wasn't Johnny a little hard to catch / difficult in general as a young horse... I read that somewhere that is where his name come from. Hopefully with this similar family trait that have similar abilities - would be nice! :)

Johnnie was always hard to catch. You should have tired driving him when we were breaking him in. Would take off at the drop of a hat but it was fun. We called him Johnnie from the start then when john bought him he would walk into his yard saying be good johnnie, so that is how he got his name. Have now got both 2 yr olds back in work so hopefully they will be ready to race as 3 yr olds.

Zipper
07-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Had a busy week this week and was just watching some replays from earlier in the week and whilst I'm not suggesting he is top class just yet I really liked the win of Major Post at Menangle on Monday.

Chris Robbo has had some pretty good young ones in his time and knows how to get the best out of them, he is also very kind to them so I would think this horse has significant improvement in him.

Anyone else got an opinion on this horse?

mango
07-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I thought he went good and i've been told his of to the paddock.

Zipper
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Wouldn't surprise me knowing what I have been told about Chris and they way he develops his youngsters.

mango
07-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Major Post has a half sister by Rocknroll Hanover going through the Peppertree Farm sale.

Zipper
07-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Triple, Gabby was awesome tonight... you were spot on with your assessment. I wonder if she is Breeders Crown eligible and is heading over??

I will have to check the website now.

Flashing Red
07-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Johnnie was always hard to catch. You should have tired driving him when we were breaking him in. Would take off at the drop of a hat but it was fun. We called him Johnnie from the start then when john bought him he would walk into his yard saying be good johnnie, so that is how he got his name. Have now got both 2 yr olds back in work so hopefully they will be ready to race as 3 yr olds.

I always love a good story behind a name :)

Village Kid
07-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Triple, Gabby was awesome tonight... you were spot on with your assessment. I wonder if she is Breeders Crown eligible and is heading over??

I did the very same thing Zipper and couldn't see her amongst the eligible horses. She looks just brilliant, to come running out of the gates, lead from the very start by 12-15 metres and just run them off their legs...shes a female Vo Rogue!!

Very exciting.

remington
07-11-2011, 03:05 AM

Just checked up the Futurities page for her on harnessweb and it says her yearling nomination was paid but as a 2yold was withdrawn

triplev123
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
She's a terrific filly eh Zipper? Leaves hard, rolls along, scoots away. It's very rare to see a 2yo filly that can be used at both ends of the race like that while keeping the pressure on through the middle stages. It's the 2nd & 3rd quarters where she smashes them, they're looking to come up for air and she doesn't let them. A. C. Lewis...an armchair ride.

DAZZA
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Also just watched Sensational gabby for the first time, she looks awesome, never raced further than a mile but the way she goes you'd think she'd run all day.

Zipper
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
She's a terrific filly eh Zipper? Leaves hard, rolls along, scoots away. It's very rare to see a 2yo filly that can be used at both ends of the race like that while keeping the pressure on through the middle stages. It's the 2nd & 3rd quarters where she smashes them, they're looking to come up for air and she doesn't let them. A. C. Lewis...an armchair ride.

She most definitely is Triple.

What a fantastic crop of 2yo's we have. The colts is now wide open with the Eagle not dominating the Vicbred as expected and everytime I read this post I can think of good horses I left off my original post. Gamechanger is one I completely forgot, he is heading to the Breeders Crown also. He is capable of anything on his day.

The Fillies are very good also... Its just great racing all over the place. It's a shame Gabby is not heading East, I think she is now the benchmark after her performance yesterday.

mango
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Zipper

I was told Major Post was only going to have one start then off to the paddock, they must of been happy with his run as he is down to trial tommorrow at Menangle.

Zipper
07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
That's interesting Mango. He will be a good horse to follow.