PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound racing banned in nsw from july 2017

Jimbob
07-07-2016, 03:57 PM
All i can say is wow.

http://www.9news.com.au/news/national/2016/07/07/11/54/mike-baird-announces-greyhound-racing-will-be-shut-down-in-nsw

BRad
07-08-2016, 11:53 AM
hope centrelink can cope with the extra welfare. It's a joke i have an old bloke up the road who owns a few greyhounds and they are treated like royalty and the ones that are "too slow" he lets them run around on his acres and they live the life of riley.
A few bags eggs shouldnt ruin it for the majority who look after there dogs and dont live bait

Messenger
07-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I love dogs but not the doggies.
The basis of the greyhounds problem is probably 'city thinking' v 'country thinking' about the disposal of animals
The fact remains that it is too easy and too cheap to breed greyhounds and with an average litter size of 8, over half of their stock are put down for being too slow
It happens in our industry to a lesser extent IMO, for the expense of breeding 1 horse insures longevity in that they are not necessarily expected to perform as a 2yo and are therefore given longer lives.

allanjg
07-08-2016, 01:02 PM
the thin edge of a sharp wedge into all forms of animal racing in australia i`m afraid.

arlington
07-08-2016, 01:47 PM
I love dogs but not the doggies.
The basis of the greyhounds problem is probably 'city thinking' v 'country thinking' about the disposal of animals
The fact remains that it is too easy and too cheap to breed greyhounds and with an average litter size of 8, over half of their stock are put down for being too slow
It happens in our industry to a lesser extent IMO, for the expense of breeding 1 horse insures longevity in that they are not necessarily expected to perform as a 2yo and are therefore given longer lives.

The NSW government, and the others, well know most of the gambling $ lost through banning greyhound racing will be redirected to other punting pursuits, hence tax revenue doesn't cop a big hit. Government still smiling behind closed doors.
Maybe each state government could look at extending the natural life of any racing animal by redirecting more of the taxes collected from betting to "life after/without racing"?

KTQ
08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Greyhound racing is SO easy to bet on, compared to harness and thoroughbreds that it's tough to lose money. Now I'm going to ALWAYS lose money :(