PDA

View Full Version : New minister warned industry faces issues

Harnesslink News Bot
07-17-2011, 07:19 AM
The racing industry has largely lost its mainstream appeal and faces chronic issues, its new minister has been warned. The Department of Internal Affairs, which provides policy advice on racing, said in its briefing to Craig Foss this week that thoroughbred racing in particular faces challenges. Foss has replaced the retiring John Carter as Racing Minister.

More... (http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=90885)

eljay
07-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Chronic issues!!! Brent Lilly, Nicole Molander, John Newberry, Francis Weston, Mark Purdon moving(moved) across the Tasman. Dexter Dunn has hinted he will spend most of season in the States and now the Reidman making noises about moving to Canada. Already Matthew White, Emmett Brosnan, Chris Butt, Simon Lawson, Andrew Suddaby, over in Aus. and James Stormont had a look last night (one winner) and will decide whether will shift in the next week or two. I know I will have missed some. Surely this emphasises all is not well in the Industry and while the press release says NZTR will be making strong representations I sincerly hope their Harness counterparts will likewise be active. Incidentally, there were 96 horses exported in the last 4 weeks - that's pretty well a full 8 race card. At this rate of carnage, that would mean 1150 horses in a 121 month period - alarming, isn't it. And the RIB scheduled 4 meetings in the north over 9 days. I hope I'm wrong, but unless drastic measures/thinking taken immediately, the plight of the Industry looks far from rosy.