PDA

View Full Version : russian bloodlines

richard1955
01-07-2017, 02:30 AM
The dam ( First Dance) of one of our horses (Quick Work who raced in europe) had a foal (filly) exported
to russia. Is there any info available about russian trotting ?

Richard DuCHARME

richard1955
01-12-2017, 01:35 PM
doesn't ANYBODY know ANYTHING about harness racing in RUSSIA ?

corso
02-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Yes I do know a little about harness racing in Russia. But I can't find any info about Quick Work or First Dance. What breed are they?

EuroTrot
02-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Tip on the names, and you will get further information. You can change the language, if you tip right on top the english flag.
http://www.sukuposti.net/hevonen/hae/jalkelaiset/958250

Adaptor
02-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi
Thanks to the work of John Peck, Professor Ron Groves and the wizardry of Classicfamilies.net , you will find First Dance and her descendents and their respective records here:

http://www.classicfamilies.net/HorseDetails.aspx?HorseID=10050118

papagayo
12-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Sorry for answering almost a year later :) I assume you mean Flower Dance? She had 8 foals in Russia, 3 by Alyi Mak, 2 by Mix Hanover, 2 by Reprise and 1 by Speedy Miles.

richard1955
01-23-2018, 03:16 AM
Yes, FLOWER DANCE was the first foal out of First Dance. I am not familiar with any of these Russian Sires ? I am curious if any of her foals had any influence on Russian Racing ?

papagayo
02-05-2018, 12:31 AM
She had one son, Fag, who was quite decent. He sired Farfor who earned quite a bit of money in the late 80s and he is also the damsire of Pikur, the 2001 Russian Derby winner. Pikur's pedigree is found at http://www.sophiapedigrees.com/search/1342228/standard/

richard1955
02-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Thank you for the interesting info. I don't know ANYTHING about the russian bloodlines. What adds EXTRA interest to the Flower Dance story is that ( and I don't remember all the details ?) But while Dad was racing Quick Work (mid 70's) @ Yonkers one night (FFA) when a delegation from RUSSIA ( their UN embassy in NYC) came to look at Quick Work, with the interest (intent) to buy him. Which is WHY my questions ?

We weren't interested in selling. First, we didn't "need" the $$$. Second, they couldn't offer enough anyway. But it does raise interesting questions ? about both HOW Flower Dance got EXPORTED ? Who "officially" bought her ? ans HOW did they export her during the Cold War ? I would assume in those days she would have gone by ship ?

R DuCHARME

papagayo
02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
I assume by plane - probably to West Berlin (?) and then by train (?) Just speculation on my side, though - but I know that when Tamerlane and Reprise were sold to the Soviet Union a few years later, they went by plane from the US (though it never crossed by mind to try to find out where that plane went). Those two horses were officially bought by state-owned farms (though everything is state-owned anyway so it's all a technicality - it all belonged to Brezhnev :D )

richard1955
03-11-2018, 03:36 AM
We hear so little about the "russian" trotting sport ? All your info is thus very interesting. What is the current level of trotting in russia ? And since PRIVATE ownership in russia is now possible ? Who are the major breeders, owners, trainers, and horses (racehorses and sires) ?

Tell us more ?

Dad's memory is a little "foggy" on the time the russian delegation came to the paddock @ Yonkers and looked at Quick Work.

Obviously it had to be pretty OFFICIAL because they got into the paddock on a "race night" ? So they would have had to have "clearance"
from the NY Racing Commission ?

They couldn't offer enough $ for QW, and we didn't need the money. But the Flower Dance "connection" makes WHY they wanted to even look at QW more interesting ? What are the most recent horses exported to russia ?

One thing I do remember ( I wasn't there that night ) is that Dad said several of the russians had TERRIBLE teeth (dental work) ! And had
several of those silver metal "fake" teeth ? But I imagine Putin's teeth are pretty good ? LOL