Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Jereme's Jet

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Good one Don, what was the horses name?
    A bit of both in my selection process, and stay away from alcohol.

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Interested to know how people narrow down their selections for sales? Do people go through the catalogue and mark horses whose pedigree they like and then go look at these horses or do it the other way round and go to yearling parades and look at the phenotypes of individuals before evaluating their pedigree? Im guessing it would be easier to find "types" they like first. By the way this forum is very insightful and interesting!

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Would have to think that the majority of buyers, as I do have looked through the catalogue before going to the sale , then look at the horses they have selected and any others that catch their eye on the day.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    I admit to being a bad judge of yearlings.
    Good judge of people though(&$"·$%·$%!" wish I could change this for just a couple of days a year.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    For me the catalogue is first that way i can narrow the yearlings down on pedigree as i dont want to be looking at every yearling on sale day. But i will also take a look at whats parading around and if its a nice type i will look in the book and if it's not one marked i might take a closer inspection.

Member Yearling jammsb will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Mango, your major error is waiting until sale day to look at the yearlings being offered. In my opinion, the very worst time and place to evaluate a yearling is at a sale on sale day. The yearling is in a new and strange environment. The astute yearling buyer does his homework before the sale by going to the various farms and inspecting them in their home environment. By doing this, not only does he narrow down his choices and avoid last minute, unresearched decisions, but he utilizes sale day to reinforce his previously researched opinions.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    For what its worth I go through the catalogue and firstly delete the ones I can't get (too pricey etc) then check out the ones that come in my price range. However, never forget the ones you may think are too pricey may fall into your range on sale day so always keep them in mind. Then I call the preparer or vendor and set up a time to look at the yearling. Preferably in a paddock where it is being a horse. Throw out the window the breeding side of things here and just look at the horse as a individual. Then its a matter of picking the ones you like on type. I then put a price on it and stick to it (sometimes!) On sale day there will always be one or two that you 'find' so keep them in mind too. Then get in the ring and bid your heart out. It's great stuff. Highlight of my year.

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    I really like that approach jammsb, personally I believe by sale day all the research should be completed and a max price for particular yearlings written down etc. I would love to be able to go through a whole catalogue but I find a sale such as the sale of the stars with in excess of 300 yearlings too time consuming, so try to narrow it down by crossing off the progeny of certain sires I wouldn't breed too.

Flashing Red
    Eliminate 3/4 of them on pedigree alone, then eliminate any from sires I don't like, then eliminate them from mares that haven't produced much or recently. You aren't left with too many to see on sale day then

Tis a very exciting time of year

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Tomorrow I am heading to see my first Jereme's Jet colt. Looking forward to it and will post my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread