Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Jereme's Jet

triplev123
    Only if I manage to knock over an Armoured Car between now and then Don.
    I'm looking to sell, not buy. Glad you found one you really like. They're very nice types. Looking forward to seeing our foals next year already.

Flashing Red
    "The big issue is, that while there are all of these statistics, these pedigree nerds, the people that are promulgating all of this scientific nonsense, there is never any control grouip."

I am one of these statistic nerds (proudly), and each to their own, this is one person's (albeit a very respected) person's opinion. And the control group? Whether regarded so or not, I look at the averages of a sire and then, whatever the statistic is that js being looked at, whether it has performed above or below the average.

It's funny, I kinda thought that breed the best to the best and hope for the best "theory" had been debunked. Otherwise the million (or billion, hehehe!) aires would have a monopoly on breeding all the champion horses (and you know what? They don't!!).

But it really was an interesting article, thankyou. Estes I have a lot of time for, as although we go about things in a different way I love his no-nonsense "proof wanting" outlook

triplev123
    G'day Flashing,

You know, that's my all-time favourite horse person interview. He comes across as a bit of an irascible old turnout huh?
    John R. Gaines passed away at, for these days, the relatively young age of 76, in fact I think it was not long after that interview was published.
    You might have read it a bit the wrong way there Flashing. The reason I say that is because I took it that way too initially but having since read some other things he had to say over the years I don't think that is what he meant. What you do and so many of us do is one thing but what he was getting at there I think was quite another.
    I think he was taking a shot at those people you will encounter from time to time who will look at bits of paper or pedigrees represented on a PC screen, will see this bloodline or that bloodline or this X or that X represented thereupon in the sire & the dam & then by way of referencing one or two good horses similarly bred will unequivocally state that it will work or conversely by referencing one or two poor horses similarly bred...that it will not, never having laid eyes on any of the individuals involved etc etc etc.
    Along those lines his assessment of the mischievous motives behind some of the ideas Federico Tesio publicly espoused was pretty funny too I thought.
    Last edited by triplev123; 01-15-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: the font was so small I couldn't read it.

Flashing Red
    Perhaps I did misunderstand, but I haven't read much of his work.

Hehehe I was a very sad little child at school, while everyone else was catching up on the goss or playing on the oval I was creating pedigrees for what I thought would be the perfect thoroughbred. lol. Always been facinated with pedigrees Obviously over time I began to appreciate type and other aspects too. In fact, just love everything about it. Helped with a mare who was having her folicle checked today, I just get so excited to be there from that stage to taking them to the races at 2!!

Member Yearling jammsb will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Some of the greatest breeders in the history of horse racing subscribed to the "breed the best to the best and hope for the best theory". Among them were the aforementioned John R Gaines, his father Clarence F Gaines, Lawrence Sheppard, the founder of Hanover Shoe Farms, Harness Racing's all time leading breeder and Edward P Taylor the founder of Windfields Farm and the breeder and owner of among others Northern Dancer. Most of the "pedigree nerds" haven't accomplished a whole lot themselves, but excel at telling others what to do. I guess the bottom line is the old maxim "those who can do, those who can't teach".

triplev123
    G'day Flashing,

Fear not, for I think I can beat you for sad.
    Would you believe that I took the Stud Books and some other Harness Racing reading material with me on our Honeymoon, much to Mrs Triple's eternal disgust. Whenever I happen to fall from grace in her eyes, amongst my many and varied indiscretions over the years I am reminded of that particular one.

Member Yearling jammsb will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    You can add the leading breeder and greatest horseman of the twenty first century Jean Pierre DuBois to that list of breeders who do not operate from any proscribed theories. They simply breed the best to the best with an important side serving of intuition to what they do.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Triplev123
    I thought i had problems by taking my sale books to hospital on friday but you get me hands down on taking them on your honeymoon, Mrs Tripple must be one champion and understanding lady otherwise it would of been a short marriage.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by jammsb View Post
    Most of the "pedigree nerds" haven't accomplished a whole lot themselves, but excel at telling others what to do. I guess the bottom line is the old maxim "those who can do, those who can't teach".
    No discredit to those (very accomplished) people you have mentioned, but anyone can breed two great horses together and get a great horse. IMHHHHHHHHO, the best breeders can breed or pick out great horses from would otherwise be a less than stellar background. I've been very fortunate in my life to be mentored by such people I'm obviously a tadpole in a very big pond, but I am learning so much and love all forms of pedigree theories, I'm trying not to be closed-minded and limit myself to "best of the best". Not everyone has those sort of funds to embark on a program like that!

Focusing on a pedigree has not been as prominant in North America as Australasia, however I think you will find that more thought in being put into it now in North America than would have been given by those great breeders of the past.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    G'day Flashing,

Fear not, for I think I can beat you for sad.
    Would you believe that I took the Stud Books and some other Harness Racing reading material with me on our Honeymoon, much to Mrs Triple's eternal disgust. Whenever I happen to fall from grace in her eyes, amongst my many and varied indiscretions over the years I am reminded of that particular one.
    LMFAO, had me in stitches! Yes, you win in the sadness factor. lol.
    And I must admit that I too bring up things from the past in arguments. Must be a woman thing. lol.

+ Reply to Thread