Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jereme's Jet

Member Yearling jammsb will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    At the time, most people, probably including the folks at Hanover and certainly the folks at Brittany who owned most of Western would not in their wildest dreams have envisioned the great sire that he was destined to become. Artsplace was considered the super horse. Western Hanover was considered a steady warrior at best. I recall one of the so called experts of the business disdainfully referring to him as "Little Ralph" in mockingly comparing him to Ralph Hanover who became an abject failure in the breeding shed. He stood for a fee of $4,000. At best, his first three or four books consisted of "mom and pop" mares with a dearth of superstars. Artsplace, on the other hand was blessed with a collection of many of the great mares of the era.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Jammsb
    Thanks i would not of guessed that i was of the thought that they both got great mares, so in hindsight Western Hanover has done a super job to get where he has.

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Obviously I'm biased ... but our Jeremes Jet yearling colt is one of the best-looking horses we've bred. He has great depth, an attractive head and is a beautiful, smooth mover. That doesn't mean he'll be able to run but I reckon it's a pretty good starting point. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make some kind of racehorse.
    Mango, there was a good article in Hoof Beats a month or two back on Artsplace and Western Hanover and their impact on standardbred breeding.
    I was lucky enough to see Artsplace race - and he really was the horse of a generation. Amazingly tough, great speed and great gait - something he has passed on to many of his progeny.
    Western Hanover had great top-end speed and was a great horse in his own right ... but, in my opinion, there have been few better pacers than Artsplace. I think people forget just how good he was. Haven't said that, I believe any criticism of Western Hanover is totally unfounded. Maybe some of his progeny have been a touch too 'fragile' and 'hot' ... but it seems Western Ideal, who I also was lucky enough to see race, has added that bit of stoutness and positive attitude, quite possibly through his dam's sire, Abercrombie. And iit looks like those traits have been passed on to Rocknroll Hanover and some other of his sons.
    It's going to be an interesting few years to see how these new kids on the block shape up.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Ben
    Mare went good last night, and which Melbourne sale did you enter your colt in. Just wondering why Western Ideal did not race as a 3yr old.

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Hi Mango,
    yes, happy to see Sapphire Lil back on track. Our colt is in the Premium Sale in Melbourne.
    Not too sure about Western Ideal ... I saw him in his last race at the Red Mile as a four-year-old ... went about 1:48. Big, powerful type of horse.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Ben
    I've got one in the premium sale as well so i'll see you there. If anyone out there knows the reason why Western Ideal never raced as a 3yr old i'd love to know.

Just read the Artsplace v's Western Hanover in october's issue of Hoof Beats and found that the reason Western Ideal didn't race as a 3yr old is due to severing his tendon at the Red Mile.
    Last edited by mango; 11-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Member Yearling jsday will become famous soon enough jsday's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    Quote Originally Posted by newschool View Post
    By my count, there have been at least 29 sons and 12 grandsons of Western Hanover that have been active breeding stallions. Two of his sons, Western Ideal and The Panderosa, have in total at least 12 sons that are also active stallions. In my opinion, Jeremes Jet is probably an upgrade on Western Ideal
    That Opinion of years isnt a good one for 4yrs min

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    Jeremes jet was really only good at 2. He won the breeders crown on 3 legs.....his 3 yr old year excuse after excuse. His 4 yr old yr nothing...

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    Quote Originally Posted by BenScadden View Post
    Obviously I'm biased ... but our Jeremes Jet yearling colt is one of the best-looking horses we've bred. He has great depth, an attractive head and is a beautiful, smooth mover. That doesn't mean he'll be able to run but I reckon it's a pretty good starting point. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make some kind of racehorse.
    Mango, there was a good article in Hoof Beats a month or two back on Artsplace and Western Hanover and their impact on standardbred breeding.
    I was lucky enough to see Artsplace race - and he really was the horse of a generation. Amazingly tough, great speed and great gait - something he has passed on to many of his progeny.
    Western Hanover had great top-end speed and was a great horse in his own right ... but, in my opinion, there have been few better pacers than Artsplace. I think people forget just how good he was. Haven't said that, I believe any criticism of Western Hanover is totally unfounded. Maybe some of his progeny have been a touch too 'fragile' and 'hot' ... but it seems Western Ideal, who I also was lucky enough to see race, has added that bit of stoutness and positive attitude, quite possibly through his dam's sire, Abercrombie. And iit looks like those traits have been passed on to Rocknroll Hanover and some other of his sons.
    It's going to be an interesting few years to see how these new kids on the block shape up.
    The Greatest Pacer of All Time within the last 25 yrs the great artsplace.....They say the jump from 3 yr olds to free for allers at 4 for a horse is the toughest.......Well how about 16 for 16....

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Jeremys Jet is still being advertised, at this time of the season is it the stallions that are perhaps lacking mares that
    are still being advertised? just a thought.
    Who would be breeding after Xmas, old mares, people who do not care when the foal is born,
    breeding to sell no way.

+ Reply to Thread