Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Lazarus the best horse in Australia and New Zealand?

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle

Is Lazarus the best horse in Australia and New Zealand?

Ballarat CEO

Mr Rowse said the champion Kiwi would draw faces new and old through the gates.
    “Lazarus will bring a lot of non-trotting people in who want to see the best horse in Australia and New Zealand,” he said. “He is an absolutely awesome horse.”

It sounds as if he is first past the post already. Does anyone give Smolda or Lenny a chance at all?

No wonder the fields are averaging 7 for some of the bigger races, I am glad he never entered the SA pacing cup as that would have made it a field of about three, the other horses would have stayed home.

Although this is similar to his last 3/4 in NZ in which there were fields of 6/7 except for the NZ trotting cup (14) but they did get turn up money of $15,000.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    So as a west aussie, I've noticed that a certain trainer is always very confident about his horses. What happens is that opposition trainers believe the hype and let that other trainer's horses go along as they like in front, sprinting the last section resulting in the horse winning as it wants, perpetuating the belief that the horse is good. I always tell my dad that his horses are less than they are and it always turns out to be true because I always see undefeated horses have easy races and win... until someone decides that enough is enough and takes them on and the favourite loses releasing the floodgates of losses. After which the trainer stops saying his horse is unbeatable. self fulfilling prophecy. anyway what I mean is that trainers talk their horses up to put other trainers off. and it works.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    So as a west aussie, I've noticed that a certain trainer is always very confident about his horses. What happens is that opposition trainers believe the hype and let that other trainer's horses go along as they like in front, sprinting the last section resulting in the horse winning as it wants, perpetuating the belief that the horse is good. I always tell my dad that his horses are less than they are and it always turns out to be true because I always see undefeated horses have easy races and win... until someone decides that enough is enough and takes them on and the favourite loses releasing the floodgates of losses. After which the trainer stops saying his horse is unbeatable. self fulfilling prophecy. anyway what I mean is that trainers talk their horses up to put other trainers off. and it works.
    I think you are right in what you are saying. It is easy to race through the grades going quarters in 30, 30, 29, 27 but once up in grade the races aren't run like that and picket fences come unstuck. Problem is in the weaker grades the other horses aren't really capable of putting the favourite out of their comfort zone.
    However, in regards to Lazarus, Paul Rowse, Mark Purdon etc can say what they like - but nothing will pump up Lazarus tyres like his NZ Cup win. Wow - his performance does all the talking for him.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Although this is similar to his last 3/4 in NZ in which there were fields of 6/7 except for the NZ trotting cup (14) but they did get turn up money of $15,000

Remembering that the $15,000 is simply a refund of the progressive payments made by connections to get into the field. Having a horse run in the NZ Cup is the dream of any NZ Harness racing owner. Having a horse as good as Lazarus to compete against you is never an off putting factor when it comes to the Cup.
    And yes Lazarus is the best horse currently performing in Australasia. And for good measure Dream About Me is the second best.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Ballarat CEO

Mr Rowse said the champion Kiwi would draw faces new and old through the gates.
    “Lazarus will bring a lot of non-trotting people in who want to see the best horse in Australia and New Zealand,” he said. “He is an absolutely awesome horse.”

It sounds as if he is first past the post already. Does anyone give Smolda or Lenny a chance at all?

No wonder the fields are averaging 7 for some of the bigger races, I am glad he never entered the SA pacing cup as that would have made it a field of about three, the other horses would have stayed home.

Although this is similar to his last 3/4 in NZ in which there were fields of 6/7 except for the NZ trotting cup (14) but they did get turn up money of $15,000.
    I have been pretty busy in Melbourne the last week so I may have missed it but can anybody tell me what has been done in/by Ballarat to make this happen - I am assuming they are talking about attracting Ballarat non harness people
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Be interesting to get some feedback from someone who attends the cup tonight. Crowd numbers, the whole program, any festivities and general items that those who don't attend might want to hear about. Stuff that the media don't normally cover. I remember watching the mighty Quinn plenty of times and he used to always attract a good crowd but the GP racing organization always had to have something else as an attraction to get those extra bums on seats. The weather looks like it will be great.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    If nothing else, Lazarus is certainly the best named horse in Australasia. Go to the HRNZ website and watch some of his wins, especially his 2 and early 3 year old races. Looked beaten, got off the mat and kept punching away to win.

If Mark Purdon praises a horse, the horse well and truly deserves it. He is not one to pump up the tires of the unworthy.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Be interesting to get some feedback from someone who attends the cup tonight. Crowd numbers, the whole program, any festivities and general items that those who don't attend might want to hear about. Stuff that the media don't normally cover. I remember watching the mighty Quinn plenty of times and he used to always attract a good crowd but the GP racing organization always had to have something else as an attraction to get those extra bums on seats. The weather looks like it will be great.
    Was a great night. Big crowd but still plenty of room. Great atmosphere and lots of activities & entertainment. Ballarat club always do a great job. Have had horses race there many times and go out of their way to look after owners.

Great racing too.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I knew you would be there Paul, thanks for the report
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Well done to the Ballarat club, always good to hear about a great day/night at the red hots. Thanks Paul.

+ Reply to Thread