Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The New Ratings Based Handicapping System

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    I think you'll find about 250,000 cricketers/footballers go around in their chosen hobby for nothing every weekend!
    Not too many amateur trainers in R6 & R8 Breno. And I think you will find that hobby cricketers are not putting on a show for anybody so cannot expect a respectable cut

ps I know little about minor cricket but you would be amazed how many go around for money in every minor football league down here - I know for a fact (and sometimes we are talking $2k a game)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I look at the Melton card tomorrow and cannot help but think the horses in the R6 and R8 heats are being used ie putting on the show/providing for the punter, for less than they should be
    The races are for $4.5k to get into a $7k final
    All of them raced in $7k or more races at their previous start, 3 of them winners and yet here they consent to go around for $4.5k
    The harness industry is an accepting lot. I cannot imagine cricketers or footballers consenting to run around for half pay every 2nd week

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#MXB07072003
    Regulus the winner of the first of those heats is an interesting one.
    He has won $144k and here he is going around in a $4k race.
    He is only a 4yo and 25 months ago as a 2yo having his 7th start, he won $64k in the Redcliffe Yearling Sales final

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#MXB07072003
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Do we need an adjustment for horses coming over from NZ?

A good example might be the last 2 races at Shep tonight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=SP110820

These 2 imported winners have now won 5/5 races since coming over from NZ and the longest odds we have seen is $1.50 - suggesting they are class above the grade they are racing in

On the other hand maybe we don't want to dampen the incentive to import horses as we need the racing stock
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno

These 2 imported winners have now won 5/5 races since coming over from NZ and the longest odds we have seen is $1.50 - suggesting they are class above the grade they are racing in

On the other hand maybe we don't want to dampen the incentive to import horses as we need the racing stock
    How many people gave up breeding because they were sick of getting beat by NZ imports? Maybe thats a key reason #s of racing stock have gone down!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good point Brendan
    NZ imports became very fashionable at the start of the 90's
    You would have thought that our bloodstock should have caught up quite a bit (if we are importing the right types)
    Maybe it is better grass
    Quite a bit of it would seem to be the lack of racing over there means many of the better than average horses cannot even win many races and have a good mark that makes them doubly attractive to importers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Another NZer for the Amanda Turnbull stable tonight at Bendigo makes it 2/2 at $1.04
    This one is a 6yo and only had 3 wins from 76 starts before coming over

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#BNC12082004
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    In reality, it's the flawed NZ handicapping system forcing owners hands to sell or send their horses here to race.

Would you want your top 3yo filly to race here against mares or, because of her success, be forced into early retirement or have to race against cup class horses every week?

Check race 11 at Albion Park this Saturday night for the answer. By the way, we desperately need NZ racing stock to make up the fields.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    In reality, it's the flawed NZ handicapping system forcing owners hands to sell or send their horses here to race.

Would you want your top 3yo filly to race here against mares or, because of her success, be forced into early retirement or have to race against cup class horses every week?

Check race 11 at Albion Park this Saturday night for the answer. By the way, we desperately need NZ racing stock to make up the fields.
    NZ racing is bananas. I've been following a 2yo filly in NZ that has been forced to race against mares in its 2 starts. She's for sale now and I don't blame the owners. No 2yo should ever have to race out of its age group.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    NZ racing is bananas. I've been following a 2yo filly in NZ that has been forced to race against mares in its 2 starts. She's for sale now and I don't blame the owners. No 2yo should ever have to race out of its age group.
    2yo Maidens shouldn't be forced to race against 2,3+ win 2yos. There is only so many 2,3+ 2yos going around in each area so I think its fine if those 2yos have to race against older opposition.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    They're going 1.58 though for 2150m and few 2yo fillies can run that fast - I know ours struggle. I dont know if there's a solution but apples with apples I say

+ Reply to Thread