Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
That is worth some thought
I know that NSW and WA seem to run secondary meetings successfully but I wouldn't really know how successful they are financially
I suppose balancing up that more people bet on weekends with having your meeting destined to be on Sky2.
I once read in a Ray Chaplin (Equine Excellence) report that Sky2 as opposed to Sky1 costs you 40% in turnover (that sounds about right)
I don’t know how financially successful they are either Kev. NSW is not tied to market share for revenue as Vic is but I doubt they would put it on if it was a real loser for them. NSW are also more atune to participant satisfaction, eg, reducing field size in the Metro $L5 races at Menangle from 12 to 10 though that would be a negative for turnover, then just driven by maximising turnover. The geographic separation between these meetings also means it isn’t necessarily a means to direct prizemoney to a different set of participants as there wouldn’t be a lot of cross over if they were held at different times. So my guess would be that they do alright on the turnover front.

WA harness racing in recent times has become acutely focussed on increasing market share so I’m presuming these aren’t to bad for turnover either. Depending on where they are being held would make a significant difference to the participant mix if they were held at different time to GP fridays. As I understand it WA doesn’t get much say from Sky in when they put on their meetings so it could be they would hold it in a different slot if they could get one.