Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The New Ratings Based Handicapping System

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    In R3 at Ballarat tonight, Rockasaki seems hard done by under the ratings
    She is the 3rd highest ranked and yet she has won the least of any runner (half of the 2nd least)
    Drawn 7 she seems worse off than the top two rated in SR1 & SR2 (unless she is a super beginner)

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#BAM23012105
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Of course she gets the lead and wins
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Has there been a more ridiculous $20k race than at Mildura tonight
    We have Rhyflective with an NR of 46 down to Bernie Winkle with an NR of 120

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#MLC26012101
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I despise horses dropping down in grade who have won 6-7 races and winning races against horses who have won 2-3 races. Give the horse with 2-3 wins more chances to win. Nobody has mastered handicapping and if they have they aren't openly sharing it or working in handicapping for a racing authority. Just let horses race against horses who have won equal amount of races is my vision. PBD handy for field sizes when you need to combine classes.

The argument is longevity of a horses career is a barrier to ownership entry. I don't understand how that is any more of a barrier than owning a horse that keeps losing to horses that have already won its fair share of races. It would be an interesting answer to whether the industry could generate more money recycling horses after they reach their win limit more dams in foal, more service fees etc or if the ownership dropoff would be too much with the extra costs.

The stock standard industry answer seems to be to lengthen a horses career so I will accept that (for now).

The Net Rating system is a success on that measure.

However, to get the best of both worlds should the drop downs only be applied to older horses, eg 7yo+ so that 4-5yos can still get their fair share of wins first. We have 2yo and 3yo races why not Senior races. 7yo+ could still compete in open races but they would have two sets of ratings (one based on wins only that applies in the open age races and one based on drop down rules that is only applied when they enter Senior races).

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We all know of horses that do not peak until 8 years of age. What about drop down ratings only for horses 9yo+? Age limit races seems good to me 4 and 5yo, 6 and 7yo (along with their rating)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    We all know of horses that do not peak until 8 years of age. What about drop down ratings only for horses 9yo+? Age limit races seems good to me 4 and 5yo, 6 and 7yo (along with their rating)
    Yeah the age is an interesting one not sure of what age to go with, or could potentially have multiple senior age groups. I went with 7yo as I was worried under performers may start to be retired beforehand so wouldn't get advantage of the drop down system.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Having some Wins and Age specific races would exclude some drop down horses and give for eg the 4 or 5yo who hasn't won many his chance (as it would exclude drop down horses)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You can see why plenty of people are complaining about the NR system

I have added the horses: Age, Wins, NR to the result of R3 at Cranbourne tonight
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A lot of upset posters on the AHRI facebook page

2023 2yo's to enter NR system on 50

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=54486
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    A lot of upset posters on the AHRI facebook page

2023 2yo's to enter NR system on 50

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=54486
    Gallops WFA scale changes throughout the year. Perhaps this should be looked at here as there is a big difference between a 2yo debuting in Jan/Feb Vs a 2yo debuting iNovember/December

+ Reply to Thread