Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ch2 ODDS AND ENDS - not big enough for a thread of their own

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    What was the significance of the $19,999.14 races at Menangle on Saturday night?

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=PC060719
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Don’t know Kev, I’d hazard a guess and say they are finals of a series for country based horses and if the race was worth 20k or more the winner would be excluded from eligibility for other races in the future under their programming. But very interested to know if someone knows the actual reason.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    An old poster suggested Letspendanitetogetha will have his work cut out for him with his Menangle and Albion Park races only an hour apart

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#APM13071901

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#PCM13071906
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    An old poster suggested Letspendanitetogetha will have his work cut out for him with his Menangle and Albion Park races only an hour apart

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#APM13071901

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#PCM13071906
    Pretty sure whoever used to drive Daryl Douglas around could give it a crack.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Dot, I see one of yours today is up against a stablemate that ran in the $250k Gp1 Auckland Cup but is only assessed NR52
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Oh I didn’t get past seeing that she’s drawn outside the backrow at the track she has never had any luck at! I don’t have anything to do with the noms Kev, and as I wrote previously having a lesser horse in the big stables often means they go where the rest go, not where they are best suited.

I haven’t looked at the ratings or recent form, or performance history of the other runners in the race Kev, but there are what appear to be anomalies more broadly, rightly or wrongly, in the transition process that others have commented on elsewhere. Part of that problem at least is that there is no retrospectivity to the process and horses transitioned over at a point in time based on their C and M ratings at that time, adjusted for some on performance between 1 May and 1 Jul. Similar happened in the transition to HWOE in WA, and there certainly were winners and losers on transition in both systems.

I dont know why the stable mate is rated a 52 but I’ll presume it is correct and no errors were made in the transition calculations. Low horse numbers everywhere and FFA conditions for group 1 races such as the Auckland Cup mean lowly assessed horses do chance their hand at them, and if they wernt placed highly in them it won’t impact on their transitions to our National Ratings system and if they didn’t win their HWOE assesment in WA.

On face value Kev it is dissapointing to be racing against a horse of apparently much superior class, and by that I mean as an measure of its ability not its assessment under the prior handicapping scheme, but in time the National Ratings should reduce the instances of that occurring, particularly if our ratings are adopted in NZ. But Kev any ratings or handicapping scheme is more a reflection of success not of a horses actual ability and there will be always be those progressive horses who’s rating or assessment is less then their ability as they work their way through the grades.

The only way to counter that is differential prizemoney that encourages connections to race them against horses of similar ability but not necessarily similar ratings.
    Last edited by Dot; 07-10-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    There might be 12 runners in R4 at Launceston on Sunday but Ben Yole is a certainty
    Overall he trains 54 of the 88 horses at the meet

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#LNC21071905
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Beltane will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Jones
    Not to be out done by Ben, Grant Dixon is training 9 of the 11 starters in the "QBRED TRIAD - 2YO Colts & Geldings (Group 1)" at Albion Park this Saturday night.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    With the conditions of the R7 Trot for NR 56-120 at Kilmore tonight, it is a pity we didn't have a 120 trotter accept as it would be rather nostalgic to see a horse come off a mark of 120m!

http://www.harness.org.au/form.cfm?m...rc=KIC18071908
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Dot, I see one of yours today is up against a stablemate that ran in the $250k Gp1 Auckland Cup but is only assessed NR52
    Been some more talk on this horse, Raptors Flight NZ on twitter. He was a C2 M1 on transition but for some reason the M1 assesment for any horse was not considered in the translation, they transitioned on their C class only and last 5 starts, so he was 60 minus 8 for worse then 6th in races of $15k to 50k, races in the old metro class, to be NR52.

This does appear to be very unfair to horses who have never been assessed higher then the lower C classes on transition that a Metroploitan win assesment can just be discarded as not having existed on transition. Had Raptors Flight NZ been a C2 M2 he would have transitioned at NR87, NR95 minus 8 for his last five.

So 1 metro win was worth 0 rating points on transition, but a second metro win would have been worth, in this case at least, 35 ratings points on transition. Something not right here.

+ Reply to Thread