Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast

Thread: Ch2 ODDS AND ENDS - not big enough for a thread of their own

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I'm not really a fan of $4,500 races but if we have to have them, aren't the horses going around in the last at Bendigo tonight supposed to be the ones that are racing in them?

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#BNC17112005
    R1 at Cobram was another example today. Falling Shards 2nd was her 4th placing (no wins) in 57 starts. They rated 2.04.5 and never broke 30 for any Q
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    If you rule out owners who don't really want to sell their horse or the possibility that there will be plenty more rich claiming races coming up (I don't that this is so)
    Then there are some ridiculous prices on some of the horses in Saturday's Claimer ($50k )

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#MXM28112006
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    If you rule out owners who don't really want to sell their horse or the possibility that there will be plenty more rich claiming races coming up (I don't that this is so)
    Then there are some ridiculous prices on some of the horses in Saturday's Claimer ($50k )

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#MXM28112006
    Loorim Creek (probably the worst of all of the high priced.ones) and Somewhere Secret both won over $50K this season and could.continue to do so winning multiple Metro races under this rating system or the Menangle way of drawing fields. Ample Power was probably the best M1 in the country when he finally cracked his M1 last start and on his form back then would have turns taking wins still in sub par FFA fields that we see throughout the year. Crimson Prince should win more races and become a 100 rater.

Star of Memphis the only one materially overpriced but you can see why given he won a couple FFAs 12 months ago. Would only need to recapture that form.

The only thing I'd be worried about it is if you could improve these horses off those trainers or even kwep at same level.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Fair points Brendan. We will have to come back and have a look in a years time
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    No claims but I feel that could be as much to do with the trainers as the price tag.

Interestingly the one I said was possibly overpriced started favourite but was gone at the 800m. A reason may be forthcoming for its performance though.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I've noticed lately that more horses are receiving assistance from the clerk of the course during the circling before the start. Some are fired up and are being restrained and calmed others need turning around and lead ups towards the moving mobile.
    Personally I don't think they should be assisting with issues related to the manners or poor behavior of a horse. What if more than 2 horses require this help, how do they decide who to help ? These horses should miss the score up and be tailed off at the start, the trainers and drivers should be fined or horses sent back to trials. If the horse is poorly educated it should not be helped by the clerk of the course, it should be stood down.
    Horses and drivers need to get to the mobile without any outside help , clerk of the course should only assist with gear changes, broken gear , adjustments and driver less horses.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would be all about the 'betting' product (and why your suggestion although valid will not be enacted Rick)
    I would guess that if there were more than 2 needing assistance they would call off the start
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    In my opinion they are assisting the horses performance . It's the difference between a horse missing the score up and being 50m behind the mobile or being in its correct position . I've been watching harness racing for 40 years and this seems to have only just started happening . It seems that many poorly behaved horses are qualifying to race when they shouldn't. Could be due to the lack of racing stock around. I hope it doesn't lead to more serious accidents in races.
    Personally I think the safety of drivers and horses is more important than the betting image .
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Would you really want your child aspiring to a career in harness racing?
    A golfer, a tennis player, football - maybe, but harness?

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...-scholarships/
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-03-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Does anybody know why Noel Alexander (and Jayne Davies) transferred Krafty Bart to Emma Stewart?
    I noticed it for the Vicbred heats but it was not until he won today that I noticed Noel is the owner

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#BNC24122003
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread