Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apex speed sulky

nat

Apex speed sulky

Hey Thomas Mitchell you were true to your word about making a new style race bike how is it going are there any takers to use your new bike at any NZ meet covered on sky this weekend so we can see a bit more of the bike in action.

Has anyone used it yet that can compare it to some of the other brands?

Member Yearling MasterK is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Kurt Breen
    Occupation
    Student
    It was available for use on Cup day but i dont think anyone wanted to try it. Its said to be much like the evolution sulky except a bit cheaper

Junior Member Foal Thomas Mitchell will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Hi Nat, the Apex sulky was approved for use in NZ the day before Cup day. However, as expected few were willing to change anything on such a big raceday.
    I am not sure if Sky will be covering the Timaru races tomorrow (Saturday) but Bruce Hutton will be using his in a number of races. Also, another red Apex sulky will be available for any other trainer to use if they wish.

A number of drivers have used the sulky including Nigel Mcgrath, Anthony Butt, Jimmy Curtin, Shane Walkinshaw, Blair Orange, Peter Ferguson and Ricky May. All have liked the sulky, with Ricky May who has driven a huge amount in Benny Hills American sulkies saying it feels exactly the same as them. Bruce Hutton said it is more comfortable to sit in and bought one right then and there.

They really are a fantastic sulky. They are perfectly balanced with the drivers weight over the wheels. They track beautifully due to the cambered wheels and are very rigid allowing all the power to be directed to the wheels, and not lost through flexing.

The Apex sulky is aroud half the price of the evolution sulky.

nat
    Geee's durrr on me Thomas didn't even click that it was you on this forum well done I remember when we commented on Harnesslike about the evolution sulky.

When is it available in OZ as it looks the good's you should be on a winner how do they go on half mile tracks they should track good around the turns

Member Yearling Jimmy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sam Rawnsley
    Occupation
    Have to work, can't ma
    Hi Thomas, can you give us an up date on the name "Apex" where did that come from? One other question, do you rent your sulky, or let the trainers use it for free ?

Real Name
    Unknown
    The tighter the track is, the more of an advantage the Apex sulky is. While your competitors bikes are sledging outwards on the turns and not tracking favouably those using the Apex will enjoy perfect tracking due to its angled wheels which effectively dig into the bend, much like a race cars when cornering.

I have looked into sending a sulky to Australia. However, it is very costly and they end up keeping the bike once tested. I have decided to focus on NZ for the next couple of weeks before sending one over there as I had great interest form many Australians over Cup Week. With some assured sales in the form of pre orders this would happen much sooner rather than later.

Jimmy, I have had one sulky around Canterbury for the past couple of weeks. It will be at the Timaru races available for free use to any trainer. This sulky will then spend a few weeks in Southland with Kirk and Michelle Larson who will be allowing anybody to trial it free of charge.

Apex is just one of those random brand names that just came to us when we were brainstorming. Apex, the top, the pinnacle.

Member Yearling Jimmy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Sam Rawnsley
    Occupation
    Have to work, can't ma
    Thanks Thomas for all that info, as you would beware that the Walsh company is trailing the wider sulky in Australia at the moment, if the wider sulky was approved would you be looking at designing the "Apex" wider or just keep it as is ?

Real Name
    Unknown
    Jimmy,
    I had seen that on Harnesslink. It is something that we may look at in the future, but I truely believe the Apex is currently the best sulky on the market as it is. The advantage with having a wide sulky is obviously getting it closer to the horse. However, it needs to sit the close quarter racing we have in NZ and Aus.

Member Filly eljay will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    The main requirement for winning, is not the sulky, but what is pulling it!!

Real Name
    Unknown
    Entirely agree eljay!

But, in a sport which often comes down to 0.1 of a second its worth looking at the technology side of things. How often do we see races come down to a neck, head or nose. Who knows, if they were using the Apex or any other high performance sulky the horse that runs second by a nose may have been winning by a nose.

The Apex sulky will not make a slow horse win the NZ cup. But it will make it a little less slow. Just like it will make a fast horse a little bit faster.

People often see these new wheels and new sulkies as expensive, but it only takes one or two wins that you may have usually run second in to pay for itself.

If technology is not important, Lance Armstrong and Sarah Ulmer may as well go and grab an old road bike from the shed and use that in the Tour de France and on the track. Team NZ should stop spending millions on boat development and just buy Oracle and Alingis old boats and Roger Federer should just use an old wooden racquet like McEnroe used.

Eljay I do agree that the horse itself is the most important factor in winning a race. But the sulky is a tool which can be used to enhance the horses performance and give those using it the advantage. If the sulky doesn't matter, we may as well just use our work carts on them.

+ Reply to Thread