+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ASBA Breeding Panel Report- well worth the read

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Hi Greg

I agree with raising the import fee but to $5k for a colt is absurd, maybe they should of lifted it from $500 to $2k at most but thats just my opinion and fillies and mare's should be kepted at there same fee as the majority of them become future broodmare's in our country. I don't think this will change people's idea's on keeping horses and breeding 1 more mare per year as we can see now the decline of breeding has already started and people prefer to buy a yearling or a going horse which takes a lot of risks out from rearing a foal and so on. You can buy decent yearling's these day's for not much more than the service fee sometime's. Some people don't want horses sitting in a paddock for 12 months whilst still outlaying money on agistment, worming, hoof trimming and getting there teeth done they mostly listen to there trainers and if he say's the horse ain't know good or might win 1 at most whats the use of spelling paying agistment and then 12wks pay to the trainer to get that horse to the track to win 1 race you will be running at a loss.
    Grandad kept a horse once till he was a 3 yo before he was sold as he needed time the horse went on to win an Inter had he been sold as a yearling he would have lost his head long before his 3rd birthday
    and i think a lot of the time extra time will pay off for a lot of horses i agree with you if the trainer thinks the horse will only win 1 race though you get rid of it with the import fee being 5k for colt's it is good it may help the breeder get that bit extra for a yearling instead of only not much more than the service fee
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

triplev123
    I was only young when I met your grandfather at the Sales once many years ago Greg. Good bloke, very friendly. Old School. A Gentleman.

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    With the putting back of the sales for 8 - 10 weeks my only problem with it is west of the mountains it's start's to get a bit cold of a night come March and would IMO make it a lot harder to present with good coat condition
    especially for the Bathurst sale if they all were to go back 8 - 10 weeks
    Yep and set in his ways and wont budge if he think's he's right his favourite saying is "I'll prove a point " although sometimes the point is never proved but wont admit he was wrong something else changed the point ha ha

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    G'day Mango,

Why is it absurd?
    Along with a number of others you seem to have completely overlooked the fact that the brief given to the Panel was a focus on the AUSTRALIAN Breeding Industry, not on that of NZ, the US or CAN.
    How else exactly do you expect the rest of the proposals contained in that report to be funded?
    The 5k Import Fee for colts, geldings & entires is not going to be an additional charge for starters. Instead, along with the shipping charges it will come straight off the top of the prices paid for NZ bred stock. What do you care if the Kiwi sellers end up getting 5k less for the exported male going horses? That charge is factored into the overall landed price. I find it absolutely astonishing that any Oz Breeders would give a bugger.
    the WTO was just a cheap shot to begin with.

i'm sure the kiwi's will just knock 5k off the price...
    c'mon triple v you can see this is just going to make it more expensive for new owners coming into the sport that want a horse to race, its well known that people don't want fillies to race because there is limited opportunities for them (so obviously much much more needs to be done on this first), also BUT why isn't the 5k fee on ALL imported horses? i thought the idea is to boost the local industry's fillies that are bred?

i understand this is to support breeders but they have to realise they can't hurt someone else who isn't as interested in breeding their horses (5k could well be up to 25% tariff on top of a horse out of nz) - i can't see why HRA owners association would support this and if they do then theres a serous problem in that organisation

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    the WTO was just a cheap shot to begin with.

i'm sure the kiwi's will just knock 5k off the price...
    c'mon triple v you can see this is just going to make it more expensive for new owners coming into the sport that want a horse to race, its well known that people don't want fillies to race because there is limited opportunities for them (so obviously much much more needs to be done on this first), also BUT why isn't the 5k fee on ALL imported horses? i thought the idea is to boost the local industry's fillies that are bred?

i understand this is to support breeders but they have to realise they can't hurt someone else who isn't as interested in breeding their horses (5k could well be up to 25% tariff on top of a horse out of nz) - i can't see why HRA owners association would support this and if they do then theres a serous problem in that organisation
    I think it is a way of trying to get new owner's to buy Aus bred horses to help out the breeding industry i don't see how it will make it more expensive for new owner's buy local and support our industry is what it is saying IMO i may be wrong on my interpretation

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Greg

As a breeder myself i'd like to see them buy Aus yearling's/horses but sometime's the better and cheaper option is across the sea. I suppose there are alway's 2 way's at looking at thing's but at the end of the day the power's to be will make the decision on what they think is best for the Industry. I hope Triple is correct in saying the kiwi's will have to drop there price's and with the state of there prizemoney over there and surplus of horses they might have to.

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    greg please find me a horse with enough ability to race through to metro grade that is currently assessed a c1/2/3 for sale or better yet find me a 2 or 3 old good enough for derby or oaks heats....
    you would be lucky to find a single horse for sale in aussie but 50 in NZ, we just aren't sellers of good horses, horses for less then 10k sure, but nothing decent

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I agree with VVV nice work Mightymo.

triplev123

Perish the thought!

The small matter of the 26% that you currently have up your sleave by way of the $Oz to $NZ Fx wouldn't come into it would it Smithy? Nah, of course not. Perish the thought.
    Btw, I know of a couple of Oz bred, based & raced horses, one a current 2yo, one a current 3yo, that will race through their grades and at 4yrs+ will be good enough to win at Metro level. Not only that but the fellas that own them are sellers, always have been, always will be. I think the 2yo's a fair chance to develop enough between now and then to make a Derby Heat or two next year and while the 3yo has basically already missed his shots through circumstances beyond anyone's control, like his younger counterpart I've no doubt he'll go through to an M3-M4.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Irrespective of whether you like or dislike the report or parts thereof, can i please ask that you provide feedback in writing as suggested.

That way we can ensure that whatever changes are made, adequately reflect the industry as a whole

+ Reply to Thread