Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: ASBA Breeding Panel Report- well worth the read

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    The small matter of the 26% that you currently have up your sleave by way of the $Oz to $NZ Fx wouldn't come into it would it Smithy? Nah, of course not. Perish the thought.
    Btw, I know of a couple of Oz bred, based & raced horses, one a current 2yo, one a current 3yo, that will race through their grades and at 4yrs+ will be good enough to win at Metro level. Not only that but the fellas that own them are sellers, always have been, always will be. I think the 2yo's a fair chance to develop enough between now and then to make a Derby Heat or two next year and while the 3yo has basically already missed his shots through circumstances beyond anyone's control, like his younger counterpart I've no doubt he'll go through to an M3-M4.
    mate you know aussies aren't sellers and kiwi's are - that is the way it is.

inflating the price of horses is going against the very first point mentioned in the report- costs becoming too high for owners to break even (page 2 of the report)

triplev123
    To some extent that's true Smithy, that is basically the way it is...but make no mistake, there's nothing overtly more noble / more commercially minded about it as far as the Kiwis are concerned. Instead it is down to the fact that most Aussies aren't sellers because, unlike the Kiwis, they simply don't have to be. To start off with the Kiwis produce well in excess of the number of horses they'll require to fill their race fields every year & due to the addition of a number of things, not the least of which are a their harsh(er) handicapping system & a general lack of racing opportunities they simply have to sell, they have no other choice but to sell. Further to this (somewhat enforced by the circumstances) selling approach is the fact that for NZ, the US/CAN market has all but dried up so at present and for the foreseeable future Australia is pretty much their SOLE market.
    That's not going to inflate the prices for going stock...it's all about supply and demand (sorry Breno).
    If you're concerned about prices for going horses being inflated then might I suggest you consider those fellas over in WA who have been shelling out phone numbers in order to pick off the top end of the NZ going concerns...and in doing so duly raising the expectations of price for a swag lesser lights? They're belting the prices along way, way more than any increased charges/fees could ever do.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    One trainer in W.A over the last couple of years has shelled out $4.2 mil on behalf of clients only to win back $1.7 mil, they made an offer of $150k on a 3yr old at Cambridge when i was there in early april.

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    peacock? oh wait you said WA.. woops

triplev123
    Hey Smithy....steady on with the comments about...

'The Colourful Bird'.
    He's a relation of mine, though somewhat removed admittedly.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thank you for the link to the report, what part/parts of the report will actually be acted upon?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Thank you for the link to the report, what part/parts of the report will actually be acted upon?
    Hi Justdoit

They would like feed back in writing regarding the report whether people like it or not so they can act upon what the industry want's.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    To some extent that's true Smithy, that is basically the way it is...but make no mistake, there's nothing overtly more noble / more commercially minded about it as far as the Kiwis are concerned. Instead it is down to the fact that most Aussies aren't sellers because, unlike the Kiwis, they simply don't have to be. To start off with the Kiwis produce well in excess of the number of horses they'll require to fill their race fields every year & due to the addition of a number of things, not the least of which are a their harsh(er) handicapping system & a general lack of racing opportunities they simply have to sell, they have no other choice but to sell. Further to this (somewhat enforced by the circumstances) selling approach is the fact that for NZ, the US/CAN market has all but dried up so at present and for the foreseeable future Australia is pretty much their SOLE market.
    That's not going to inflate the prices for going stock...it's all about supply and demand (sorry Breno).
    If you're concerned about prices for going horses being inflated then might I suggest you consider those fellas over in WA who have been shelling out phone numbers in order to pick off the top end of the NZ going concerns...and in doing so duly raising the expectations of price for a swag lesser lights? They're belting the prices along way, way more than any increased charges/fees could ever do.
    Lol

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CCgQ9QEwAQ

Thats the easy bit; if you start talking deadweight loss I'm not going to be happy though....or a tax with the $5000 import fee and how that affects the supply and demand I'm going to be cranky !!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Smithy just shop around you might be surprised at what horses are available if asked about wether for sale or not everything just about has a price
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    What part/parts of the report do the people here think will be acted upon?

+ Reply to Thread