Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The ASBP Report: How can they be serious? Bad news for harness owners

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Breeders do have to bare some of the problem's on themselves, you see a breeder with 3 average bred mare's and he send's one to Art Major and can't afford to send the other 2 out to stud that year and then it's not worth taking to the sale cause he would be lucky to get his service fee back. Now that breeder would of been better off sending 3 mare's to say Live or Die for the same cost of Art Major and have 3 chance's of winning money at the race's. I think there are a lot of breeders today who think there mare's are better than they are and these people need educating on this and maybe if they understand and breed 3 for the price of one maybe breeding number's will pick up.

aussiebreno
    Good one Mango!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    From gutwagon Some of you are saying we need to improve our breed, we use most of the same stallions as nz breeders now, so how do we improve our breed ? I know you will say stop breeding with rubbish mares. I'm sure NZ has plenty of rubbish mares also, it's just that we only see the better NZ horses over here. The rubbish is culled and doesn't make it to Aus. Even Mark Purdon has started coming to our sales and has been very successful with his purchases.
    From Breno
    Yeah exactly, we don't see the rubbish Kiwis - so I am not saying they have a stronger breed. But, if we replace our rubbish with good Kiwis then that is an improvement for Aust breed.

Yes some NZ horses will improve the breed: Mares will a gelding or colt won't get it done unless the colt is a topliner from a top family and a very fast time .
    NZ replaced a lot of their mares with Aussie mares over the year's and now we are paying for it and have to try and play catch up
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Spot on Mango.

There are too many breeders whom think because they go to Art Major or Bettors Delight, they automatically have a $25k yearling. Problem is you look at the mare, its track record and so forth and shake your head.

I guess the NBCS is aiming to allow those breeders to go to the top sires, and be able to afford to then send the remaining mares to other sires with the credits.

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    i feel so so so sorry for the poor breeders who sold yearlings for 20k+ or more, they've only at a minimum doubled their money breeding that horse in 12 months... poor bastards

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    From gutwagon Some of you are saying we need to improve our breed, we use most of the same stallions as nz breeders now, so how do we improve our breed ? I know you will say stop breeding with rubbish mares. I'm sure NZ has plenty of rubbish mares also, it's just that we only see the better NZ horses over here. The rubbish is culled and doesn't make it to Aus. Even Mark Purdon has started coming to our sales and has been very successful with his purchases.
    From Breno
    Yeah exactly, we don't see the rubbish Kiwis - so I am not saying they have a stronger breed. But, if we replace our rubbish with good Kiwis then that is an improvement for Aust breed.

Yes some NZ horses will improve the breed: Mares will a gelding or colt won't get it done unless the colt is a topliner from a top family and a very fast time .
    NZ replaced a lot of their mares with Aussie mares over the year's and now we are paying for it and have to try and play catch up
    Well...yeah correct I agree! I thought it went without saying though. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle962151.ece I thought wrong though!!!

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    How many do you breed smithy just out of interest and by the way it takes over 2 year's to get that foal to the sales not 12 month's

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Well...yeah correct I agree! I thought it went without saying though. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle962151.ece I thought wrong though!!!
    He's still a mare though

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    How many do you breed smithy just out of interest and by the way it takes over 2 year's to get that foal to the sales not 12 month's
    i breed a couple mate, but i also own race horses... don't think that i must just hate breeding because i think this paper is stupidity

oh sorry how terrible, 2 years in attempting to make enormous returns... absolute battlers

how can breeders be doing it so tough and yet art major gets full books? is there no other stallion that would be suitable that individual mare?

aussiebreno
    He's still a mare though
    Instead of sending retired geldings to the glue factory (sadly) we can use them as surragotes! That way breeders can race their mare and earn prizemoney and still breed. Winning idea or what haha

+ Reply to Thread