Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The ASBP Report: How can they be serious? Bad news for harness owners

Senior Member Colt smithy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    gutwagon - my problem with the report is that it is taking the side orf yearlings going through the sale, i dont see alot of help being given to fillies being bred and raced by their breeders (there is some mention of creating more races for them, but this topic should have taken up 10 pages in the report)

simply do some research on how import substitution works and then say it is good for the breeding industry to shield it from competition

Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    This report was about the breeding industry in Australia, not about owners, they may get their own report one day.
    So you blokes think Aus breeders should just give it all away and all owners just buy from NZ. You seem to think you cant buy going horses in Aus, only overpriced yearlings ! I know several people who paid good money for nz horses and had very little luck. They then brough Aus stock and are doing much better, it can work both ways.
    And Smithy nobody wants to ban US or NZ stallions. Nowhere in the report do they suggest this, they only recomend increasing the import fee on racing stock from o/s, to encourage owners to buy Australian.Also if there are no breeders there will be no owners !
    Gutwagon I think you miss the point. Yes it was about the Breeding Industry. BUT it proposed to fund a breeding initiative by slugging OWNERS.

Lets look at a proposed OWNERS report. We are losing owners (parallels to the number of foals reducing) and a proposal is made to have the NOCS (National Owners Credit Scheme). To help keep owners in the game, it is proposed that each time their horse runs, they receive credits which are able to be used to purchase future horses.
    The Owners panel go to the owners associations and ask them how do we fund this project, it will cost around $2.2 million a year.

Ok, like the breeders lets source from within our own (meaning see if we can raise funds from within ownership ranks). A annual registration is proposed on each and every racing animal (like it was to Breeders concerning broodmares).

Owners associations go up in arms, NO YOU CANT DO THAT!!!!! (Just like the Breeders said).

So the panel need to look at alternative methods of funding. Well, we can't raise the money from within ownership ranks, so lets go and slug another part of the industry.......whom can we target.....ummmm......yeah, breeders. Lets smack them.

So in the final report, the recommendation put forward was to slug breeders at the sales a $400 registration to be able to commercially sell your progeny. So you are targeting a certain percentage of breeders, the ones whom supposedly 'make a buck' from it.

Now you tell me, do you think that breeders would cop that - funding an owners scheme?

Didn't think so.

You can buy going horses in Australia. You can buy them from NZ. If there was a $5000 fee on the purchase of going horses in Oz, how do you think that would go down?

You want people to support Australian breeders right? Well produce the right kind of product, one that will be attractive enough for OWNERS to fork out the dollars for. It happens, it happens every day. You tell me why Australian breeders cannot compete?

I ask you Gut to ask me - will being forced out of purchasing horses from NZ to race make me more likely to purchase horses from Australia?

Don't worry about asking because I will answer: Categorically not.

And - to make the proposed Import Fee all the more preposterous it is a flat fee. So it hurts the bottom end of the market more than the top end.

It is like the govt introducing this carbon scheme that will impact on everybody, but providing no relief for anyone at all in the lower income tiers.

By all means raise funds for the NBCS because it has merit, but you have to slug EVERYBODY, not a select group - a group whom those that can least afford it will be the ones affected the most.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    gutwagon - my problem with the report is that it is taking the side orf yearlings going through the sale, i dont see alot of help being given to fillies being bred and raced by their breeders
    Smithy, the NBCS scheme is very much supportive of fillies bred and raced by their breeders. As is the initiative to promote more racing opportunities for mares.

Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Smithy, the NBCS scheme is very much supportive of fillies bred and raced by their breeders. As is the initiative to promote more racing opportunities for mares.
    paid for by owners

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    can someone work out as i'm not that good with math show much to produce a yearling for sale right from conception to sale day and let's say you own your land where the mare and foal runs use the service fee of $3000 it is a nice round number and would it be about the average price of service fees? Itemised if possible it might explain cost's of breeding to some people who don't breed
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    The Big Mile are breeder's not owner's as well the percentage of breeder's who breed to race is very high can't remember the number so aren't they then classed as owner's

Real Name
    Unknown
    ill put some up for you greg, its the amounts for bills i have on hand atm for bring a mare across from nz and getting it in foal
    Mare 25000
    GST import 2500
    Southern cross transport (truck from dock to property) 480
    Shipping 3,000
    Mare rego in nsw 150
    Vet fees for breeding the mare (also includes extras) 739.5
    breeders challenge 275
    Vicbred 175
    foal rego 275
    freeze branding 60
    vaccines 43.6
    breeders crown 80

apg entry 385
    apg sustaining on day of sale 140ish

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Start's to add up would the mare have to be DNA'd on top of your foal rego ? Are the cost's in VIC and NSW the same or similar for rego etc ?

Real Name
    Unknown
    thats nsw, i think the dna is in the foal rego or the freezebranding

Real Name
    Greg Hando
    o'k

+ Reply to Thread