Thread: Different Aspects to Programming

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    https://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=HM180517#1

Hamilton race 1 Who would want to put a country front 3 yr old up against Our Little general. Much better handicapping needed by the HRV if racing is to prosper.

Our Little General was nominated for Cranbourne last Saturday and due to withdrawals, the race was deleted - obviously trainers were trying to avoid him.
    He's exceptional but he is also entitled to race. It's a quandary for sure.

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    If HRV programmes a race and your horse is eligible to compete then you have every right too nominate. The problem is not with the team nominating, it is all about the programming such a open 3yr old race at a second tier country track and not having restriction on horses that can enter. i.e it could be programme for 3 yr old with earnings of no more than 50k, or 3yr old with a claiming price of 50-60 k etc. The alternative is to continue with the status quo and see the "Red Hot" continue.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The argument would be that by nominating for a $7k race as opposed to a $5k or $3½k race (they're all pretty pathetic sums I know) you have to expect better horses
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The argument would be that by nominating for a $7k race as opposed to a $5k or $3½k race (they're all pretty pathetic sums I know) you have to expect better horses
    Your absolutely right Kev they are pathetic sums. Under the current system they are entitled to run him there however, if we had 3yo metro age penalty races like we used too they probably wouldn't run at Hamilton and we wouldn't have 3yo who have won 2 country penalty races going around in CO 's all the time.

Member Gelding Tangles will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mj mcmillian
    Then all that is left to say, is that with this type of programming by the HRV all owners with average 3 yr olds need to sell up and get out of Harness racing. Oh silly me, I forgot that is what they have been doing.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am hearing you men
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    [QUOTE=Njcstables;51141]Your absolutely right Kev they are pathetic sums. Under the current system they are entitled to run him there however, if we had 3yo metro age penalty races like we used too they probably wouldn't run at Hamilton and we wouldn't have 3yo who have won 2 country penalty races going around in CO 's all the time

I totally agree with you Nathan. Back in the day when HRV ran Metro open 3 year old races there was a viable alternative for the better 3 year olds. We have been asking HRV for a better go for 3 year olds and have requested that they reinstate Metro 3 years olds but to no avail. Now there is nothing. The 3 year old race at Cranbourne was deleted and OLG needs a lead up race before the Sires heats. There are no other options for him .
    Programming for young horses is non existent. After a 3 year old wins their first 2 races they have to nominate for a C0 to get a run and many of those are for 4 year old and older horses. If you find a suitable C0 then the 3 year old is forced to compete against horses in the 4-6 year old age group. We have recently sold a handy three year old interstate due to lack of racing opportunities.

aussiebreno
    [QUOTE=Bonnie;51153]
    Quote Originally Posted by Njcstables View Post
    Your absolutely right Kev they are pathetic sums. Under the current system they are entitled to run him there however, if we had 3yo metro age penalty races like we used too they probably wouldn't run at Hamilton and we wouldn't have 3yo who have won 2 country penalty races going around in CO 's all the time

I totally agree with you Nathan. Back in the day when HRV ran Metro open 3 year old races there was a viable alternative for the better 3 year olds. We have been asking HRV for a better go for 3 year olds and have requested that they reinstate Metro 3 years olds but to no avail. Now there is nothing. The 3 year old race at Cranbourne was deleted and OLG needs a lead up race before the Sires heats. There are no other options for him .
    Programming for young horses is non existent. After a 3 year old wins their first 2 races they have to nominate for a C0 to get a run and many of those are for 4 year old and older horses. If you find a suitable C0 then the 3 year old is forced to compete against horses in the 4-6 year old age group. We have recently sold a handy three year old interstate due to lack of racing opportunities.
    Agree re lack of 3yo Metro racing. Even if they have to run them with 6-7 its better than nothing. I do wonder if they got sick of insufficient noms though?

I see no problem with 2 wins 3yos racing open age in C0s. In this scenario if Our Little General was in a C3-C4 race that would be fairer.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Well OLG broke the Tk Record w/o any luck from the draw and w/o raising a sweat ( I don't think they even washed him down after)
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-18-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Agree re lack of 3yo Metro racing. Even if they have to run them with 6-7 its better than nothing. I do wonder if they got sick of insufficient noms though?

I see no problem with 2 wins 3yos racing open age in C0s. In this scenario if Our Little General was in a C3-C4 race that would be fairer.
    $ 15,000 race at Ballarat. 6 entries. 3 x Emma Stewart, a first starter and a horse unplaced in 4 starts. This is why 3yo Metros are not scheduled.

+ Reply to Thread