Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Harness awards

aussiebreno
    Weirdo - far from it.
    I think Montana mentioned on this forum retirement is a live option. Yes, hope not. A clash between Forever Gold and Courageous Annie next season would be great!

Flashing Red
    Yep - in the Ladyship Mile please!!

Junior Member Weanling macca11 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brittany Graham
    Any change to these awards after yesterday?

What about state horses of the year? Would be interesting to know what people think.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Best trier - Palais Du Louvre
    Best horse thats maybe generated (my sons doing) lots of interest beyond us 'old farts' - Palais Du Louvre

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    bellas delight 3yr old filly of the year

Junior Member Foal starkmarty will become famous soon enough starkmarty's Avatar
    Real Name
    Martin Herbert
    Occupation
    Trainer/Driver, Bloodstock agent

Harness Awards

I would like to pose a question regarding `the best performed horse`, albeit a little late. Adhesive was recently awarded Australian 3yo Trotting filly of the year. She won one Group 1 race. Our Dolly Would won two. Both filly`s had other very good form, but does not Group One winning form be the criteria ? Or did the voters feel the South Australian Oaks not a real Group 1 race?
    While not racing for a decent stake, it is still quite a healthy drive to Adelaide and as an Oaks, and Group One, should be recognised as such.
    Accordingly, if the race is considered `easy`, then take your filly there and have a go!
    If not, then do not allow these races to carry the title.
    In my opinion, these awards are a popularity contest, nothing less.
    And yes, I`m a little biased, being the owner of Dolly Would.
    At least the Kiwi`s gave her their 3yo Trotting Filly of the Year award.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by starkmarty View Post
    I would like to pose a question regarding `the best performed horse`, albeit a little late. Adhesive was recently awarded Australian 3yo Trotting filly of the year. She won one Group 1 race. Our Dolly Would won two. Both filly`s had other very good form, but does not Group One winning form be the criteria ? Or did the voters feel the South Australian Oaks not a real Group 1 race?
    While not racing for a decent stake, it is still quite a healthy drive to Adelaide and as an Oaks, and Group One, should be recognised as such.
    Accordingly, if the race is considered `easy`, then take your filly there and have a go!
    If not, then do not allow these races to carry the title.
    In my opinion, these awards are a popularity contest, nothing less.
    And yes, I`m a little biased, being the owner of Dolly Would.
    At least the Kiwi`s gave her their 3yo Trotting Filly of the Year award.
    I'd say when judging more than one thing (No of G1 wins in this case) being taken into consideration. If it wasn't voted for there would be a set criteria.
    If you want to take one aspect of what judges would look at then look at prizemoney won. $60,000 compared to $20,000. Not to mention head to head record.
    Theres a lot of different factors and I wouldn't be disapointed you didn't get the award; too heal the pain go and look at the trophies you received for the 2 oaks!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Martin. Firstly congratulations on having a very nice filly. Secondly, you pose an interesting question.

My understanding is that in awarding these "awards" they take into account a number of different factors.

Certainly, the number of Gr or listed races won, is considered, but they also take into account the strength of the races won or contested.

On a separate note, I was having a discussion earlier this week about black type and how certain races still maintain Gr 1 status as an Oaks or derby. My view is that there needs to be a national minimum in order to be a gr 1 . i know this would impact on Tas and SA in particular, but I think having a Derby or Oaks for 10K that carries Gr 1 status only serves to give more mares black type that really shouldnt have it. The same goes for time trials, but dont get me started on that...

+ Reply to Thread