Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
Safely Kept was a heavier hose as well i think and has done a great job RNRH should as well
Geeze, now there's a memory Greg.
SK sure was an ugly big bugger, shocked me when I first saw him. Very docile horse to the point of appearing as though he had been jammed with Ketamine. Would you believe he was actually wandering around in Alan's backyard at Alabar...boof head, heavy legs & feet, looked like a freaking Clydesdale...but for the most part he didn't seem to leave them that way. Holmes Hanover was the same sort of horse apparently. When he was still at Nevele R I can remember Uncle Bob saying that if you were going to breed a mare to Holmes, not to go and look at him. He had that real Tar Heel rawness about him. I've quite often had the same sort of reaction to seeing a stallion in the flesh for the first time as you can do when you see a Radio announcer's face for the 1st time. The mental picture you develop and the reality can often be poles apart. Same thing happened when I first met The Big Mile. I'd heard on the grapevine of his final furlong sprints down the grassed side of the outside fence and I expected an Asafa Powell style of bloke...but instead as it turned out he was built more like former Australian Rugby prop forward & Stone Cold hard man, Stan Pilecki...only sans the moustache.